UIT The arctic university of Norway > Giellatekno
 

Meeting_2010-05-10

Meeting setup

  • Date: 10.5.2010
  • Time: 09.30 Norw. time
  • Place: Internet
  • Tools: SubEthaEdit, iChat

Agenda

Cf. one of the following, depending on context:

  • the upper bar of the SEE window (provided you use the JSPWiki syntax mode)
  • the TOC in Forrest-rendered output, like HTML and PDF

Opening, agenda review, participants

Opened at 10: 32.

Present: Børre, Ciprian, Sjur, Thomas, Tomi, Trond

Absent: Maja (on study leave)

Agenda accepted as is.

Updated task status since last meeting

Børre

  • put the school history files into a properly named subdirectory
    • not done
  • formulate license header
    • not done
  • add license header to all files
    • not done
  • make restricted access to our svn repository work (fit adaption)
    • not done
  • corpus access on the XServe
    • not done
  • read access for the rest of our teams + outsiders who have signed the corpus usage agreement
    • worked on it, no solution yet
  • convert or move the files in the upload dir to the real corpus repo
    • not done
  • turn on corpus summary crontab
    • not done
  • contact Ávvir about renewed corpus cooperation
    • not done
  • implement language switch for static divvun site
    • not done
  • improve XSL script to transform leaflet Forrest XDocs to an OOo Draw document
    • not done
  • get translations of thank-you letter
    • not done
  • make the new SL Server services functional:
    • group calendars
      • not done
  • set up corpus mirroring on the XServe again
    • not done
  • give Maja a WEbSak intro
    • not done
  • fix bugs!
  • other:
    • debugging tca2
    • cpan admin on victorio
    • fix downloadable hunspell files so that they work with newer hunspell versions

Ciprian

  • add license header to all files
    • todo
  • make restricted access to our svn repository work (fit adaption)
    • todo
  • PhD-Projektbeskrivelse (internal deadline April/Mai 2010):
    • search, read, write (execute): high priority!
      • ongoing work
  • read and answer the newsgroups messages
    • todo
  • update corpora (both monolingual and parallel) for Oslo (Glossa)
    • ongoing work
    • check the correctness of parallelity between sme and nob files
      • ongoing work
    • sentence-align sme with nob: fix tca2 problem
      • todo
    • analyse/disambiguate: todo -- waiting for the last version of FSTs
  • infrastructure
    • test cwb
    • continue with restructuring and cleaning the script catalogue as suggested in the newsgroup
    • transform sme-lexC files into XML format
    • make a schema/dtd description of the lexC-file (experiment with Komi and Romanian)
      • todo
  • GT web:
    • colouring output of the disambiguation
      • done
    • add a tree visualizer for the dependency trees
      • ongoing work
    • add input help for special characters on the tool sites
      • todo
    • automatise the web statistics
      • todo
    • filter (English, German, etc.) input using language detection tools
    • put a note on the sites that these are NOT MT tools
    • input help for generating wordforms (dropdown menus).
      • todo
  • Sandbox Oahpa:
    • Numra for Skolt Sámi and Finnish
    • debug the installed sb_oahpa
    • update and correct the Oapha docu site
      • todo
  • Running Oahpa:
    • fix Morfa-S related bug after adding Finnish to Leksa
    • add an Oahpa clock and date excercise (cf. Numra)
    • email notification when the server goes down
    • check the XXX?
      • todo
  • dictionaries, generally:
    • synchronize the source language entries from a specific dictionary with the entries in the morphology component (now especially for sma): that means nothing then put the entries from dict that are NOT analyzed into the lexC files
    • the StarDict on Windows: try the HTML-plugin (that means that users can use StarDict 3.2)
    • try to reduce the dict-size on mac: experiment with xPointer, etc.
  • Fkv: Nob - Nob: Fkv:
    • compile the dictionaries for both directions and in both formats (internal deadline depending on Trond and Verena)
      • done
    • try to implement a web version of the dictionaries using the Odense method
      • todo
  • KomEngFin:
    • test the automatic sorting by Komi alphabet in xsl (as discussed with Trond)
  • SmeNob:
    • incorporate the passives into the last version of the sme: nob
    • start a new compilation of SmeNob and improve it based on the experience gained with SmaNob
  • SmaNobSwe:
    • extend the smanobswe dictionary: waiting for data (incorporate the data from Maja-Lisa)
  • SjdRus:
    • continue the work at the Kildin-Russian dictionary, next internal deadline is the Bodø workshop in March 2010
  • Lexicon workshop
    • evaluate the participants' materials
    • write feedback emails to each of participant with an individual electronic dictionary
    • contact Kimberly Mäkäräinen and ask whether she might be willing to share data with us
      • todo
  • MT
    • test Apertium integration in A-ITE
      • done
    • install A-ITE on Lene 's machine: deadline 05.05.2010
      • done
  • install a somewhat working copy of A-ITE on Lene's computer (Ciprian)
    • done
  • Permanent education
    • learn UML
      • low priority

Maja

  • check in all local lexc changes in the gt/ tree - Wednesday afternoon
  • add missing sma verbs
  • Prepare text´s about normativity issue to SGL/SGM
  • more work on sma adjectives
  • look at incoming loanwords
  • make a goldstandard doc. av SÄPO-dok - korrektur
  • continue gathering sma corpus texts
  • look at Trond's XXX comments
  • finish compound tags for adjectives
  • fix bugs!

Sjur

  • formulate license header
    • not done
  • add voikko support to our proofing test bench
    • working on it
  • add all our Sámi analysers to voikko and test them as spellers
    • depends partly on the previous point
  • run tests using Hunspell, Voikko, Polderland for our Sámi lexicons
    • depends on the test bench having voikko support, coming soon
  • test Apertium integration in A-ITE
    • done, working on a principal level
  • meet with Francis, with backup from Tromsø
    • done
  • install & configure the Unison news reader
  • gold standard testing for sma
    • I have tried to test the sma speller using the sme/smj tools. It doesn't work. Compiling sma using the sme lexicon compiler, and then test it as if it were sme should work. That will serve as a workaround until we get the proper tools.
  • difftest for fst and PL speller
  • @Barents: plan a meeting/seminar with potential cooperation partners
  • @Barents: plan for The Real Thing
  • @TTS: continue public tender process
  • make Leif Åge send out CD's to distribution points
  • contintue Nordplus Sprog project
  • Write a formal letter to Davvi girji about electronic dictionaries
  • make XSL script to transform leaflet Forrest XDocs to an OOo Drawer document
  • name db/risten.no
  • follow-up on some Polderland-related bugs: 621, 630, 652
  • find and contact the correct person in SD, to get the manuscript for all Sámi teaching material now being given out to the schools
  • write new build commands for make
  • when the new build infrastructure works as it should, delete the old ones
  • read through and comment by Wednesday afternoon
    • delayed till after Maja is back from her study leave
  • fix bugs!
  • other things:
    • made Forrest work again on my machine (bug introduced in the forrest code in December last year)
    • added sorting of dictionary files
    • added target for making concatenated and sorted dictionary source files in svn

Thomas

  • prepare text´s about normativity issue to SGL/SGM
    • nothing done
  • Digitalize south saami books
    • worked
  • fix bugs!
    • nothing done

Tomi

  • test latest proofing tools, compare results with previous version
    • not completed, some perl components missing
  • run tests using Hunspell, Voikko, Polderland for our Sámi lexicons
    • not done
  • ccat update to handle new error markup
    • done
  • put together the TTS preprocessing transducers and scripts
    • not done
  • write new build commands
    • working
  • check out the voikko code
    • not done
  • try to compile voikko
    • not done
  • add all our Sámi analysers and test them as spellers
    • not done
  • when the new build infrastructure works as it should, delete the old ones
    • not done
  • document how compounding is controlled in the PLX conversion
    • not done
  • fix double hyphen bugs
  • fix PL smj hyphenator bug
  • fix PL conversion bugs
  • fix bugs!

Trond

  • fkv: nob and nob: fkv scheduled for april release:
    • content and webpage update
      • Done
  • Northern areas
    • Progress as planned.
  • MT/Terminology
    • Installed and tested Autshomato, otherwise not worked on this
  • install updated corpus files in Oslo
    • Not done, we need a thorough remake of the corpus files.
  • fix bugs!.

Oahpa!

Nothing new. Possibly Sahka is not working. Lene would like a captcha for the Oahpa! feedback form, to avoid too much spam.

TODO

  • Register oahpa.no (Trond)
  • Generate fin/xml/{nouns|verbs|adjectives}.xml, and implement the new Leksa dropdown menu (Ciprian).
  • From the start: sjd_oahpa Leksa in deu and eng as well
  • clock and date for Numra (Trond, Ciprian)
  • Numra for Skolt Sámi (Trond, Ciprian)
  • implement the Bodø-Oahpa (Ciprian, Trond, Lene)
  • email notification when the server goes down (Ciprian)
  • Finding a volunteer to translate the sme Leksa lexicon to Swedish (Trond)
  • check Sahka (Ciprian)
  • add capcha(?) for the feedback e-mail address (Ciprian)

Corpus gathering

Thomas is still continuously scanning more texts.

Trond has been to the new Språkbanken meeting in Geilo. Nasjonalbiblioteket has been scanning and digitising enormous amounts of books. Everything in the public domain or free for our purposes is texts for authors dead before 1940, as well as all texts published 1990-1999, by agreement with the publishers and authors union. The free or available texts also includes all Sámi languages.

The text produced by the scanning process is automatically evaluated for OCR quality, and they are looking for ways to automatically improve the OCR recognition rate.

TODO:

  • put the school history files into a properly named subdirectory (Børre)
  • get all the latest Sámi Parliament protocolls into our repository (Børre)
  • contact the Sámi translators at the government and ministeries to get more parallell texts (Børre)
  • continue gathering sma corpus texts (Maja)
    • get sma articles in Š-bláđđi
    • the Gun Utsi book is almost there - one contract missing (Maja)
  • write formal letter to Davvi Girji (Sjur)
  • send a copy of the signed contracts back to the authors, translators and publishers, accompanied by the thank-you letter
  • find and contact the correct person in SD, to get the manuscript for all Sámi teaching material now being given out to the schools (Sjur)
  • get the sma yearbooks from Saemien sïjhte ( Maja)
  • contact certain sma writers (Børre)
  • contact Ávvir about renewed corpus cooperation (Børre)
  • contact Inga Margrethe Bjørn Eira (Maja)
  • give Maja a WebSak intro (Børre)
  • restart the letter mailing thing using WebSak (Maja)

Promoting Divvun

TODO:

  • make leaflet to inform about the project (Børre)
    • add InDesign text (Sjur)
    • make XSL script to transform Forrest XDocs to an OOo Drawer document ( Børre, Sjur)
  • distribute CD version through the library bus, the language centres and common sami centres in all of Sápmi. Gaaltije in Östersund for example. ( Leif Åge, Sjur)
    • make him send out CD's accordingly (Sjur)
  • update online download log statistics page (Børre)

Future plans, directions and ideas

See a separate document in plan/strat/5year.jspwiki.

Northern areas project

Trip to Syktyvkar forthcoming.

TODO:

  • Attend a beginners' course in Russian (priority: the alphabet!) near you..
  • plan a meeting/seminar with potential cooperation partners (Trond, Sjur)
  • plan for The Real Thing (Trond, Sjur)

Infrastructure

Updated corpus online

See Ciprian´s document about the corpus content in $GTPRIV/plan/corpus/oslo_corpus_update_todo.txt.

Issues:

  • filenames
  • organisation of subdirs?
  • content (or lack thereof) of original and converted files
  • svn repo reorganisation

TODO:

  • make the conversion scripts work with the new svn repository ( Børre, Ciprian)
    • add check for almost empty content
    • add processing of svg files
  • reorganise subdirs as needed (Ciprian, Trond)
  • identify parallel nob files - should be automatic, but needs to be checked ( Ciprian)
  • sentence-align sme with nob (Ciprian)
    • the aligner wasn't working, Børre has tried to fix it
  • analyse/disambiguate (Ciprian)
  • preferably also dep -> check with Oslo if it can be used (Ciprian)
  • install in Oslo (Ciprian, Trond)
  • add better handling of unknown strings in our analysers (???)

Corpus infra remake

TODO:

  • read access for the rest of our teams + outsiders who have signed the corpus usage agreement - presently only bound group has read access (Børre)
  • convert or move the files in the upload dir to the real corpus repo ( Børre)
  • turn on corpus summary crontab (Børre)

License

TODO:

  • install & configure the Unison news reader (Sjur)
  • read and comment the license discussion (all)
  • formulate license header (Børre, Sjur)
  • add license header to all files (Børre, Ciprian, everybody)

Corpus interface

This depends on the infrastructure cleanup.

TODO:

  • make a simple web search form for the UiT corpus repository (Ciprian, X)
  • check out the new version of CWB with Unicode support (Ciprian)
    • fall

Makefile + tag simplification

Problems with the proofing tools compilation, now solved.

TODO:

  1. test latest proofing tools, compare results with previous version (Tomi)
    1. there are some perl tools missing
      1. Børre (or someone) installed them
  2. write new build commands (Sjur, Tomi)
    1. make new targets in parallell to the old ones, not by remaking them
  3. when the new build infrastructure works as it should, delete the old ones ( Sjur, Tomi)

General list

Meänkieli adaptions in our infrastructure.

Requirements:

  • separate Subversion repository
  • structured roughly as our main repository
  • limited access to the closed repo, in the sense that one language group should not be able to see the work of another language group (exception for administrators) - otherwise it isn't really secret/closed. That is, the FIT gang should only see FIT files, and a hypothetical e.g. Estonian gang should only see the Estonian files, not the FIT files, etc. But to the extent that there are (links to) shared resources the (e.g. links to infrastructure things in another place), they should be visible to all groups
  • all tools, dtd's, configs work as in and from the main Subversion, such that we don't end up with multiple copies. That is, only content files and no infrastructure files should be in the closed repo - all the rest should stay in the main repo
  • we should have scripts that move a full language dir from one repo to the other, in both directions, keeping svn history etc.
  • the amount of work for setting this up should be minimal, or we have to ask them for money

Tentative task list

  • figure out the svn dir structure in the closed lang repo, set it up
  • figure out how to make the infrastructure in the open/main repo available for work in the closed repo (we want to have only one dtd, one XXE config, one makefile, etc.)
  • when we have an idea of the amount of work, decide whether we just do it, or whether we bill them
  • implement the previous point
  • transfer the language files, preferably using a script for automatic transfer and deletion in the open repo
  • inform them about the changes

To accommodate future enhancements in different directions (in rough order of importance):

  1. test bench for all parts of our language technology efforts
    1. test bench enhanced, but not yet complete
  2. improve Forrest i18n support with static sites
  3. reorganise the documentation:
    1. differ between target groups
    2. get better grouping
    3. decide what to write in Forrest and what in wiki (cf. Apertium and http://xixona.dlsi.ua.es/apertium/) for a similar split)
    4. update/add missing parts
  4. migrate lexc lexicons to XML, splitting the task
    1. Name lexica (the Name project)
    2. Dictionaries (already in XML, task is to integrate them)
    3. At least migrate the lexc open POSes (Komi as a pilot case)
  5. change the look of the documentation web
  6. corpus content moved to Max Planck repositories? Norsk språkbank?
  7. update infrastructure to allow content-restricted spellers for special target groups

TODO:

  • make restricted access to our svn repository work (fit adaption) ( Børre, Ciprian)
  • make the new SL Server services functional: ( Børre)
    • group calendars
  • set up corpus mirroring on the XServe again (Børre)
  • finish the restructuring and cleaning of the script/ directory Ciprian)
  • infrastructure remake: ( Børre, Ciprian, Sjur, Tomi, Trond)
    • more modularised make / build infra (prepare for smn, sms, sjd, others)
      • look at omorfi for ideas of how to modularise
    • merge gt, kt and st into one
    • modularised preprocess and spellrelax
    • alternatives to make:
  • make a test-all target that runs all tests we have (Ciprian, Sjur, Trond)
    • delayed until we have restructured the make/build process
  • define and document testing routines (Ciprian, Sjur, Trond)
    • delayed until we have restructured the make/build process

Linguistics

North Sámi

(nothing new, see proofing bugs below)

Lule Sámi

(nothing new, see proofing bugs below)

South Sámi

TODO:

  • Prepare texts about normativity issue to SGL/SGM (Maja)
    • look at Trond's XXX comments (Maja)
    • read through and comment by Wednesday afternoon (Sjur)
  • adjectives (Maja with Thomas, Trond, Sjur)
    • two competing naming conventions of continuation lexicons
      • One naming goes ATTRSUFF-PREDSUFF-STEMTYPE
      • One follows the sme convention of naming key adjectives
      • There are duplicate lexica
    • The comparative issue open here and there
      • The ATTRSUFF-PREDSUFF-STEMTYPE lexica now go to EVENCOMP and ODDCOMP only.
  • finish compound tags for adjectives (Maja)

Name lexicon/risten.no infrastructure

TODO:

  • find already approved lists, in paper or electronic form (term team)
  • convert paper lists to electronic lists (term team)
  • convert lists to standard XML (Sjur, Tomi)
  • add prepared lists to risten.no (Sjur, Tomi)
  • fix i18n bug in risten.no/G5 (so they will work without the proper locale request) (Sjur)
  • fix bugs in lexc2xml; add comments to the log element (Saara)
  • finish first version of the editing (Sjur)
  • test editing of the xml files. If ok, then: ( Sjur, Thomas, Trond)
  • make terms-smX.xml <=== automatically from propernoun-sme-lex.xml (add nob as well) (the morphological section should be kept intact, in e.g. propernoun-sme-morph.txt) (Sjur, Saara)
  • convert propernoun-($lang)-lex.txt to a derived file from common xml files ( Sjur, Tomi, Saara)
  • implement data synchronisation between risten.no and the cvs repo, and possibly other servers (ie the G5 as an alternative server to the public risten.no - it might be faster and better suited than the official one; also local installations could be treated the same way)
  • start to use the xml file as source file
  • clean terms-sme.xml such that all names have the correct tag for their use (e.g. @type=secondary) (Thomas, linguists)
  • merge placenames which are errouneously in different entries: e.g. Helsinki, Helsingfors, Helsset (linguists)
  • publish the name lexicon on risten.no (Sjur)
  • add missing parallel names for placenames (linguists)
  • add informative links between first names like Niillas and Nils ( linguists)

Dictionaries

Released:

  • FKV dictionary release: we need a web page (see task list below).
  • SME: NOB update release

Other things dictionary-related:

  • risten.no data as part of our dictionaries
  • dictionaries as part of risten.no
  • dictionaries and risten.no as part of Autshumato ITE

TODO:

  • fkv: nob and nob: fkv is now scheduled for an April release:
    • content and webpage update (Trond, Verena)
    • compile the MacDict and StarDict versions (Ciprian)
      • compiled and released
    • found a couple of bugs (missing lemma info, "dictionary" missing in both languages)
    • add version info (1.0.1 + date, subversion revision number?)
  • kom: fin-eng
    • moved the original kom-lex.xml to the inc-dir and froze it
    • split it by pos into the working_file dir, the ONLY place to work with the dictionary entries
    • now, the lexC files are generated via XSLT sheets, no perl scripts
    • adjusted the Makefile
    • prepared the pipeline for compiling the mac dict
    • todo: make a pipeline for StarDict also (as far as I know, Jaska has) a Linux machine
  • set up risten.no on eXist/XServe (as a beta version site) (Sjur)
  • set up required infra for smenob on risten.no/XServe (Sjur)
  • Continue the dictionary infrastructure discussion (Ciprian, Sjur, Trond)
  • end user documentation (how to download and install) (Ciprian, Trond)
  • Contact Davvi Girji about cooperation on electronic dictionaries ( Sjur)
  • developing the mobile phone version of smenob:
  • Komi
    • take out the doublets to a separate file (Ciprian)
    • merge the doublets (Jaska, Trond)
    • Completing the automaton to some state (Trond, Jaska, Paula)
  • make the sort XSL script available for all languages to keep the source files sorted

Proofing tools

South Sámi

Beta release: June 1. We should be getting the Polderland (now Knowledge Concepts - hereafter KC) binaries in the second half of May.

TODO:

  • difftest for fst and PL speller (Sjur)
  • External beta testers:
    • David
    • Jovsset
    • the Røros group
  • gold standard testing (Sjur)

HFST- and Voikko-based proofing tools

TODO:

  • Change the license tag to GPL for voikko inclusion. (see above)
    • high priority
  • run tests using Hunspell, Voikko, Polderland for our Sámi lexicons ( Sjur, Tomi)
  • check out the voikko code, see this page ( Tomi)
  • try to compile it (development is done on Linux, no MacOS X testing so far) ( Tomi)
    • not done
  • add voikko support to our proofing test bench (Sjur)
    • done some, not finished
  • add all our Sámi analysers and test them as spellers (Tomi, Sjur)

Testing

Updates and changes to the speller test bench result presentation: two tables combined into one.

Useful feedback.

Spelling Error Markup

TODO:

  • ccat update to handle new error markup (Tomi)
    • done

Testing open-source Norwegian spellers

Sjur has invited the open-source group to test their spell-checker using our test bench. The response has been positive, we'll see what happens.

Speller bugs

List of bugs returned from Polderland:

  • 621
  • 630
  • 652
  • 656
  • 676

Tag reordering for abbreviations have caused a lot of problems:

smj:
hr.
hr.	hr+ABBR+Acc
cand.philol.
cand.philol.	cand.philol+ABBR+N+Acc
Per
Per	Per+N+Prop+Mal+Sg+Attr

sme:
hr.
hr.	hr+N+ABBR+Acc
Per
Per	Per+N+Prop+Mal+Sg+Attr

Open issues based on test results:

sme

Version: Davvisámi, version 1.2, 2009-09-18

  • 399 - missing numerals (plural forms) - still OPEN
  • 425 - X not recognised; single letters were left out - still OPEN
  • 435 - roman numbers - inflection of single letter numbers rejected, as well as some complex numbers (but is ok in smj) - still OPEN
    • we should pregenerate all numbers once and for all, and store them in a separate lexicon file
  • 461 - REGRESSION: missing suggestion (sáhkki)
  • 508 - REGRESSION: accepts smj entries (most likely abbreviation missing)
  • 520 - REGRESSION: r9 and š9 not defined (abbr. missing)
  • 595 - prefix+name without hyphen (ovdaLot instead of ovda-Lot) - still OPEN
  • 603 - suomabealdi accepted - still OPEN
  • 606 - compound-tags LEXICON VUOHTA - still OPEN
  • 613 - short gen. as second compound part - still OPEN
  • 619 - numerals and pronouns to NAMÁK and SASJ fails - vihttasoarttat remaining - still OPEN
  • 629 - a taking part in compounding without hyphen - still OPEN
    • only open case has word A-finálaid compounded
  • 647 - numerals+NOUN - still OPEN, open case has uppercase letters
  • 648 - unmotivated suggestions with numeral+noun - still OPEN
  • 661 - REGRESSION: abbr. not recognized
  • 709 - sámedikkeválga accepted - OPEN
  • 728 - vowel shortening GenCmp+Left-tagged - still OPEN
  • 779 - caseforms of pronoun okatahat - still OPEN
  • 785 - does not recognize alphabet-abbr+noun - OPEN
  • 802 - NEW: multiword propernouns
  • 803 - NEW: FINJU- words accepted single-handed
  • 804 - NEW: guovttilogát, njealjilogát
  • 805 - NEW: Nouns+acronyms

smj

Version: Julevsáme, version 1.2, 2009-09-20

  • 435 - roman number - single letter numbers now recognised
    • we should pre-generate all numbers once and for all, and store them in a separate lexicon file
    • please note that inflection of single letter numerals is fine in smj, as opposed to sme
  • 482 - polardutkamin not recognized - FIXED
  • 496 - REGRESSION: unrecognised clitics
  • 556 - non-existent word accepted - FIXED
  • 594 - lågenanguoktáj not recognized - still OPEN
  • 595 - REGRESSION: prefix+name as split comp without hyphen
  • 596 - C-giellan is not accepted - still OPEN
  • 600 - Gen+hyph compound - FIXED
  • 627 - prefix + hyhpen does not get accepted - FIXED
  • 647 - numerals+NOUN - still OPEN, open case has uppercase letters
  • 648 - unmotivated suggestions with numeral+noun - still OPEN
  • 650 - REGRESSION: noun prefix+name compound without hyphen
  • 652 - UPPERCASE-typos only get acronym-suggestions - still OPEN
  • 692 - numeral-variants - all but one fixed (gáktsalågenantjuotakta), but still OPEN
  • 744 - REGRESSION: numerals + clitic
  • 803 - NEW: VINJU- words accepted single-handed
  • 805 - NEW: Nouns+acronyms

TODO:

  • document how compounding is controlled in the PLX conversion (Tomi)

Hyphenator bugs

Open issues based on test results :

sme

Lexicon version: Davvisámi, version 1.2, 2009-09-18

No known issues!

smj

Lexicon version: Julevsáme, version 1.2, 2009-09-20

  • 670 - Hard hyphen replaced with soft hyphen: 10-biejvvásattja (the word is not rec.; Bug #711) - still OPEN

sma

Command to test the hyphenator:

preprocess dev/corp/pressemelding.txt | lookup bin/hyph-sma.fst | cut -f2 | \
lookup bin/hyphrules-sma.fst | grep -v '^$' | cut -f2 | uniq | see

TODO:

  • fix PL hyphenator errors (Tomi)
    • almost done - one smj bug left

Installer changes

TODO:

  • test InDesign installer (Sjur)

User documentation

TODO:

  • InDesign documentation (Sjur)
    • Norwegian translation received from Davvi Girji

1.2 release

Content:

  • several smj bug fixes
  • lexicalisations
  • InDesign Mac & Win
  • new OOo beta
  • improved installers, at least for Mac, preferably also for Windows

Other

Thursday inhouse seminar

Next time suggestion list:

  1. introduction to xslt - Ciprian to start out
    1. relevant xslt issues:
    2. basic principles of xslt …
    3. sorting in xslt … (have a look at the dictionary sort xslt script)
    4. converting from one xml format to another wilt xslt (sugg: convert from DivvunGT dictionary dtd to MacDict xml)

Future seminars:

  1. XQuery
  2. More XML (needs concretisation)
  3. UML
  4. other suggestions?

Spring planning

Topics:

  • speller test project -> Sjur, Børre, Thomas, X
  • speech synthesis -> Sjur, Trond, BA as a starter
  • risten.no -> Ciprian, Sjur, Tomi
  • Barents project follow-up meeting -> Trond, Sjur
  • sme and smj proofing tools, next version -> Thomas, Tomi, Sjur
  • HFST-based proofing tools -> Sjur
  • MT terminology project -> Trond, Linda, Fran, Kevin
  • HSL centre status -> Trond

Dates:

  • May 4-5: Lene, Giellagiella
  • May: LREC Malta: WS: 17-18, Conf. 19-21, WS 22-23
    • Trond
    • Lene
    • Linda
    • Sjur?
  • July: ACL Uppsala
  • August: IceTAL, Reykjavik
  • September 8: Konvens-workshop Saarbrücken: LT and text-technological methods for e-learning http: //konvens2010.de/workshop_en.html:
    • Lene will try to get an abstract accepted, deadline 16.5
    • Trond?

Text to speech

TODO:

  • put together the preprocessing transducers and scripts (Tomi)
  • refine syntax / dependency rules (Biret Ánne)
  • continue public tender process (Sjur)

CAT

Autshomato has been installed for some of us. It is up and running, wit UTF-8 problems for 10.5 and not for 10.6.

Sjur will go to Karasjok to present state-of-art for Divvun, and Autshomato, with MT. We have a problem specifying what language to translate, but we got feendback from South Africa. Priority: Change Autshomato to do MT for the language pair under consideration. Deadline for this feature is

TODO:

  • test Apertium integration with A-ITE (Ciprian, Sjur)
    • done
  • convert our dictionaries to A-ITE format, so that they can be used directly in there (???)
  • meet with Francis, with backup from Tromsø (Sjur + Børre, Ciprian)
    • keep Lene informed
    • done
  • install a somewhat working copy of A-ITE on Lene's computer (Ciprian)
    • done
  • add support for dynamicaly setting MT language pair based on translation languages. Deadline: friday (Ciprian)

Norsk språkbank

Sámi will form a part of Norsk språkbank. We should consider candidates for pilot content (preferably terminology or bilingual text) for a first presentation of Språkbanken.

Summer vacations

Name Dates
Børre Dates
Ciprian Dates
Maja Dates
Sjur Dates
Thom 5 weeks between 21/6-13/8
Tomi Dates
Trond Dates

Next meeting, closing

The next meeting is 18.5.2010, 09: 30 Norwegian time.

The meeting was closed at 12: 00.

Appendix - task lists for the next week

Boerre

iCal

  • get all the latest Sámi Parliament protocolls into our repository
  • contact the Sámi translators at the government and ministeries to get more parallell texts
  • corpus infra:
    • make the conversion scripts work with the new svn repository
      • add check for almost empty content
      • add processing of svg files
  • put the school history files into a properly named subdirectory
  • formulate license header
  • add license header to all files
  • make restricted access to our svn repository work (fit adaption)
  • corpus access on the XServe
  • read access for the rest of our teams + outsiders who have signed the corpus usage agreement
  • convert or move the files in the upload dir to the real corpus repo
  • turn on corpus summary crontab
  • contact Ávvir about renewed corpus cooperation
  • implement language switch for static divvun site
  • improve XSL script to transform leaflet Forrest XDocs to an OOo Draw document
  • get translations of thank-you letter
  • make the new SL Server services functional:
    • group calendars
  • set up corpus mirroring on the XServe again
  • give Maja a WEbSak intro
  • fix bugs!

Ciprian

iCal

  • add license header to all files
  • make restricted access to our svn repository work (fit adaption)
  • PhD-Projektbeskrivelse (internal deadline April/Mai 2010):
    • search, read, write (execute): high priority!
  • read and answer the newsgroups messages
  • update corpora (both monolingual and parallel) for Oslo (Glossa)
    • check the correctness of parallelity between sme and nob files
    • sentence-align sme with nob: fix tca2 problem
    • analyse/disambiguate: todo -- waiting for the last version of FSTs
  • corpus infra:
    • make the conversion scripts work with the new svn repository
      • add check for almost empty content
      • add processing of svg files
    • reorganise subdirs as needed
  • infrastructure
    • test cwb
    • continue with restructuring and cleaning the script catalogue as suggested in the newsgroup
    • transform sme-lexC files into XML format
    • make a schema/dtd description of the lexC-file (experiment with Komi and Romanian)
  • GT web:
    • add a tree visualizer for the dependency trees
    • add input help for special characters on the tool sites
    • automatise the web statistics
    • filter (English, German, etc.) input using language detection tools
    • put a note on the sites that these are NOT MT tools
    • input help for generating wordforms (dropdown menus).
  • Sandbox Oahpa:
    • integrate reCAPTCHA into Django (as Lene suggested)
    • Numra for Skolt Sámi and Finnish
    • debug the installed sb_oahpa
    • update and correct the Oapha docu site
  • Running Oahpa:
    • fix Morfa-S related bug after adding Finnish to Leksa
    • integrate reCAPTCHA after the SB-test
    • add an Oahpa clock and date excercise (cf. Numra)
    • email notification when the server goes down
    • check the XXX?
  • dictionaries, generally:
    • synchronize the source language entries from a specific dictionary with the entries in the morphology component (now especially for sma): that means nothing then put the entries from dict that are NOT analyzed into the lexC files
    • the StarDict on Windows: try the HTML-plugin (that means that users can use StarDict 3.2)
    • try to reduce the dict-size on mac: experiment with xPointer, etc.
  • Fkv: Nob - Nob: Fkv:
    • compile the dictionaries for both directions and in both formats (internal deadline depending on Trond and Verena)
    • try to implement a web version of the dictionaries using the Odense method
  • KomEngFin:
    • test the automatic sorting by Komi alphabet in xsl (as discussed with Trond)
  • SmeNob:
    • incorporate the passives into the last version of the sme: nob
    • start a new compilation of SmeNob and improve it based on the experience gained with SmaNob
  • SmaNobSwe:
    • extend the smanobswe dictionary: waiting for data (incorporate the data from Maja-Lisa)
  • SjdRus:
    • continue the work at the Kildin-Russian dictionary, next internal deadline is the Bodø workshop in March 2010
  • Lexicon workshop
    • contact Kimberly Mäkäräinen and ask whether she might be willing to share data with us
  • MT
    • add proper language pair (deadline by this Friday)
    • test A-ITE on Windows
  • Permanent education
    • prepare/update XLS course materials
    • learn UML

Maja

iCal

  • check in all local lexc changes in the gt/ tree - Wednesday afternoon
  • add missing sma verbs
  • Prepare text´s about normativity issue to SGL/SGM
  • more work on sma adjectives
  • look at incoming loanwords
  • make a goldstandard doc. av SÄPO-dok - korrektur
  • continue gathering sma corpus texts
  • look at Trond's XXX comments
  • finish compound tags for adjectives
  • fix bugs!

Sjur

iCal

  • formulate license header
  • add voikko support to our proofing test bench
  • add all our Sámi analysers and test them as spellers
  • run tests using Hunspell, Voikko, Polderland for our Sámi lexicons
  • install & configure the Unison news reader
  • gold standard testing for sma
  • difftest for fst and PL speller
  • @Barents: plan a meeting/seminar with potential cooperation partners
  • @Barents: plan for The Real Thing
  • @TTS: continue public tender process
  • make Leif Åge send out CD's to distribution points
  • contintue Nordplus Sprog project
  • Write a formal letter to Davvi girji about electronic dictionaries
  • make XSL script to transform leaflet Forrest XDocs to an OOo Drawer document
  • name db/risten.no
  • follow-up on some Polderland-related bugs: 621, 630, 652
  • find and contact the correct person in SD, to get the manuscript for all Sámi teaching material now being given out to the schools
  • write new build commands for make
  • when the new build infrastructure works as it should, delete the old ones
  • read through and comment by Wednesday afternoon
  • fix bugs!

Thomas

  • prepare text´s about normativity issue to SGL/SGM
  • Digitalize south saami books
  • fix bugs!

Tomi

  • test latest proofing tools, compare results with previous version
  • run tests using Hunspell, Voikko, Polderland for our Sámi lexicons
  • put together the TTS preprocessing transducers and scripts
  • write new build commands
  • check out the voikko code
  • try to compile voikko
  • add all our Sámi analysers and test them as spellers
  • when the new build infrastructure works as it should, delete the old ones
  • document how compounding is controlled in the PLX conversion
  • fix double hyphen bugs
  • fix PL smj hyphenator bug
  • fix PL conversion bugs
  • fix bugs!

Trond

iCal

  • corpus infra:
    • reorganise subdirs as needed
  • Northern areas
  • MT/Terminology
  • install updated corpus files in Oslo
  • fix bugs!.