UIT The arctic university of Norway > Giellatekno
 

Meeting_2008-11-24

Meeting setup

  • Date: 24.11.2008
  • Time: 09.30 Norw. time
  • Place: Internet
  • Tools: SubEthaEdit, iChat

Agenda

Cf. one of the following, depending on context:

  • the upper bar of the SEE window (provided you use the JSPWiki syntax mode)
  • the TOC in Forrest-rendered output, like HTML and PDF

Opening, agenda review, participants

Opened at 09: 51.

Present: Børre, Ciprian, David, Jovsset, Sjur, Thomas, Tomi, Trond

Absent: none

Agenda accepted.

Updated task status since last meeting

Børre

  • leaflet: add Linux info (Børre)
    • Not done
  • Make a divvun-tools download log
    • Not done
  • check the hunspell test bench and tokenization errors
    • Not done
  • setup iCal server on the XServe
    • Not done
  • e-mail about G5 repair status
    • Found the G5!
  • gt/Makefile remake
    • Imported Greenlandic, have been working on integrating it
  • implement an easter egg (almost) identical to the Polderland one
    • Done. Found in the 1.0beta4 packages on our website
  • fine tune suggestions
    • Some work done
  • improve OOo instructions
    • Not done
  • screenshots for MS Office 2003
    • Not done
  • meeting Wednesday at 9.30 Norw. time re make remake
    • Done
  • fix bugs!

Ciprian

  • close the open SVN repository at requested paths
    • todo
  • continue the dictionary infrastructure discussion (with Sjur, Trond)
    • todo
  • improve processing of new corpus documents
    • todo
  • make the pipeline of StarDict dictionary generation running on the Mac
    • ongoing work
  • update the Makefile for generating dictionaries (related to the dictionary infrastructure task)
    • ongoing work
  • take care of the error logging during conversion process
    • todo
  • look at the xml conversion quality
    • todo
  • make a list of (general and special) problems related with converting docs into xml-forat and adding them to the corpora
    • todo
  • continue the search and testing of an appropriate tool for lexicon working (no xml-file editing via text editors!)
    • ongoing work
  • generate new sme: nob/nob: sme dictionaries in all formats, marking them as "Beta"-versions (Sjur's proposal to use an image background for that purpose)
    • for nobsme, intelligence (inflection/grammar infos) have to be put in there
    • smenob done, but still todo:
      • formating issues with StarDict (unlike with macDict, where the index is lemma+pos, the index in StarDict is only the lemma (= entry))
      • optimization for macDict
  • infrastructure remake - news discussion
    • started the work with Børre, Sjur and Trond
  • short meeting to go through missing points before a dictionary release (with Sjur, Trond)
    • still waiting for feedback for improving the last smenob version
  • dictionary discussion on estethics, layout (with Trond)
    • see items just above
  • meeting Wednesday at 9.30 Norw. time re make remake
    • done
  • fix bugs!
    • todo

David

  • continue gathering sma corpus texts
    • ongoing
  • stay in contact with Sáminuorat about writing about the project and advertising.
    • nothing done
  • prepare a workshop on South Sámi orthography and grammar (David)
    • ongoing
    • set up a preliminary agenda (with Sjur)
      • nothing done last week
    • prepare data for each topic (with Sjur and Trond)
      • working with derivations
  • finnish going through the list from the analysor
    • done
  • call Ristin Persson for permission to use Sámi Radio texts
    • havn't reached her yet
  • integrate adjectives into the analyser, without morphology as a starting point
    • nothing done last week

Jovsset

  • get the list of verbs from the auhtors of Verbh.
    • No response so far
  • Write and translate leaflet text, add pictures. Talk to John Marcus Kuhmunen about the design.
    • In progress
  • Find a suitable infrastructure for the distribution of the CD version. Possible through the library bus, the language centres and common sami centres in all of Sápmi.
    • In progress
  • write formal letter to translator of Gåessie dah jeatjebh åerieminie
    • Not done
  • make an add for our tools to go into Sámi newspapers (with David) and talk to john marcus kuhmunen about the design.
    • Done
  • leaflet: review the Windows pictures, and usage instructions for MS Office XP
    • Not done
  • Write installation instructions for word 2003.
    • Not done

Per-Eric

  • transfer the smj texts by Kurt Tore and Ulf Stefan Winka to our corpus repository
  • follow-up contract from Lena Davidsson
  • fix bugs!

Saara

  • add new XSL/XML headers for proofing test docs
  • Set up ways of adding meta-information for proofing correct corpus docs (source info, used in testing or not, added to lexicon or not)
  • implement the ped UI and functionality

Sjur

  • name db/risten.no
    • to be done
  • update the Changes document
    • to be done
  • follow-up on some Polderland-related bugs: 621, 630, 652
    • to be done
  • InDesign documentation
    • to be done
  • continue the dictionary infrastructure discussion (with Ciprian, Trond)
    • to be done
  • finish reformulating the proper noun grammar like the verbs (with Trond)
    • done, but would still need some work
  • Contact Davvi Girji about cooperation on electronic dictionaries
    • to be done
  • subcontractor work for sma proofing tools, MS and Adobe versions
    • requirements document written, most formalities checked, letter to be sent ASAP
  • support and maintenance contract for sme and smj, MS+Adobe tools
    • reply received from PL - they're still expensive
  • Sámi languages as part of Norsk språkbank
    • to be continued
  • contact MS Nordic, and ask them to include the Divvun tools in the next Office releases
    • to be continued
  • set up a preliminary agenda for sma workshop (with David)
    • to be done
  • prepare data for each topic at sma workshop (with David and Trond)
    • to be done
  • short meeting to go through missing points before a dictionary release (with Ciprian, Trond)
    • to be done
  • leaflet: add link to OOo installation and usage instructions
    • not yet
  • leaflet: add InDesign text
    • looked at it, nothing done
  • meeting Wednesday at 9.30 Norw. time re make remake
    • done
  • fix bugs!
  • other things:
    • went to Stockholm, to SLTC 2008, to present our proofing tools test bench

Thomas

  • gather the smj texts from Nord-Salten avis (online archive)
    • not done
  • fine tune suggestions for Hunspell
    • working with it
  • look at test cases still not behaving properly
    • not anything this week
  • sme->smj lexicon conversion to build bilingual lexicon resources, and increase smj coverage
    • not anything this week
  • fix bugs!
    • not anything this week

Tomi

  • leaflet: installation instructions fin translation
    • done (all?)
  • document how compounding is controlled in the PLX conversion
    • not done
  • fix double hyphen bugs
    • this should be checked
  • fix PL hyphenator bugs
    • not done
  • fix PL and Hunspell conversion bugs
    • worked with this one
  • infrastructure remake
    • not done
  • check ccat, whether it allows specification of error type to be extracted or considered when doing gold-standard testing
    • this should be working
  • fix bugs!

Trond

  • integrate sma adjectives into the analyser (without morphology)
    • Nothing new this week
  • finish reformulating the proper noun grammar like the verbs (with Sjur)
    • Main work done: The "old" continuation lexica are now removed. Todo: Split the propernouns according to foot structure. The job is already done, in sme, and we only need a better conversion procedure sme2sma for the common names. Then the sma-specific names must be split as well.
  • Revise the I-CLASS lexicon in sma-lex.txt.
    • Done
  • Look at the sma missing list.
    • Done the top-15-or-so
  • infrastructure remake
    • Not much after last week.
  • prepare data for each topic at sma workshop (with David and Sjur)
    • No meeting on this.
  • dictionary discussion on estethics, layout (with Ciprian)
    • Some discussion, work in progress.
  • meeting to go through missing points before a dictionary release (with Ciprian, Sjur)
    • No meeting on this.
  • clean the smanob data
    • Not done.
  • meeting Wednesday at 9.30 Norw. time re make remake
    • Fruitful meeting.
  • fix bugs!.
    • Fixed bugs.

Pedagogical software online

Links to all games except the dialog game are now available online. A log facility is installed, and people are encouraged to test the games to provide feedback.

Meeting memos can be found at http://giellatekno.uit.no/ped/index.html#Meeting+memos

Corpus gathering

TODO:

  • continue gathering sma corpus texts (David, Jovsset)
    • nothing new since last meeting
  • transfer the smj texts by Kurt Tore and Ulf Stefan Winka to our corpus repository (Per-Eric)
    • nothing
  • other contacts: Lena Davidsson, daughter to Lars-Matto Tuolja
  • make a 1-page, light version of the contract, also in Swedish ( Børre, David, Sjur, Trond)
    • delayed till we have some more time
  • discuss infra improvements for corpus rep administration (Børre, Ciprian)
    • delayed till we are done with the gt/Makefile improvements
  • gather the smj texts from Nord-Salten avis (online archive) ( Thomas)

Promoting Divvun

Presentation:

  • ≈ 15 people present
  • most from Árran, some teachers from the local school
  • many at Árran had forgotten about the presentation

Installed the tools on about 40 machines; Árran and schools. Big interest among people. Many of the school-computers already had Divvun installed, but some had the BETA-version, and many users had not really understood how to use it (like the Identify language automatically thing, which had caused problems). On Árran it was just installed on a few computers (among others a north sámi one at Sámediggi who was very happy with it : -).

Installation runs without problems but when testing on WORDS their are some problems when trying to use spell-checker while writing - on some machines the language-choice jumps back to Bokmål end English, and you have to mark everything to walk around this problem. Problem seems random and not only in some specific versions. On most machines however it runs without problems without select all.

Funny thing about Árran: there is a museum-ossodat and some of the computers there were really museum-like with Windows/Word 2000, and we were not able to install the tools on those machines : -)

Improvements for the next tour de Divvun:

  • Hire Per-Eric to promote the tools full-time : )
  • we need Windows users in our team, so that we know more about the reality of our users

TODO:

  • Make a download log (Børre)
    • this should move up on the priority list now, and be working before the 1.1 release
  • use a newspaper or something to write about the tools from an end-user point of view (a review in Š, Ávvir?)
    • follow-up Ávvir project interview (Thomas)
      • Ávvir made a feature article of the conference in Guovdageaidnu, with all the content focused on the Divvun tools and the ped project
    • follow-up Š ( Jovsset)
  • consider the best way to inform potential users in Sweden about the Divvun tools (David)
    • David has suggested to announce in Sáminuorat and Samefolket
      • add sent to Samefolket - to appear in a week or two
    • preferably get an article in the papers at the same time, about the project and the tools
    • make an add for our tools to go into newspapers (David, Jovsset)
      • done
  • Prepare for a coordinated info campaign when Ped is ready (inform teachers about Divvun as well as Ped when we inform about Ped) - next year
    • targeted at the Sámi week next year
  • conduct Tour de Divvun (smj info tour) (Thomas, Per-Eric)
    • done with success
  • make leaflet to inform about the project (Jovsset, David)
    • talk to John Markus Kuhmunen for tips, (Jovsset)
    • fin translation (Tomi)
      • the rest done
    • better Windows usage descriptions, with emphasis on the pitfalls ( Jovsset)
    • add link to OOo installation and usage instructions (Sjur)
    • improve OOo instructions (Børre)
    • add Linux info (Børre)
    • add InDesign text (Sjur) - requires installer
    • review the Windows pictures, and usage instructions for MS Office 2003 ( Jovsset)
      • screenshots (Børre)
      • text (Jovsset)
  • distribute CD version through the library bus, the language centres and common sami centres in all of Sápmi. Gaaltije in Östersund for example. ( Leif Åge, Jovsset)
  • contact MS Nordic, and ask them to include the Divvun tools in the next Office releases (both Windows and Mac). The integration can/should be done by Polderland, which is an official MS subcontractor/integrator. It could be used by MS as part of their advertising for the next releases, and it will make it much easier for people to get access to the tools. (Sjur)

Future plans, directions and ideas

See a separate document in plan/strat/5year.jspwiki.

Infrastructure

Today's actual issue: The restructuring of giellatekno's home page.

Objectives:

  • Make the pages more instructive also for non-linguists
  • Give a better impression of what we actually are doing
  • Above all, give an impression of why we do it
  • Make visible our current plans and future possibilities

To accomodate future enhancements in different directions (in rough order of importance):

  1. test bench for all parts of our language technology efforts
    1. test bench enhanced, but not yet complet
  2. set up the Leopard Server features for collaborative support:
    1. permanent chat rooms
    2. stored (and indexed) chat transcripts of the chat rooms
    3. iCal server / group calendars
    4. wiki
  3. wiki? on G5 (is part of Leopard Server) or other web-based documentation
  4. improve Forrest stability and i18n support ( the divvun crashes)
    1. Sjur has been working on better i18n and pdf rendering
    2. Børre has some ideas for getting back to serving static html files
  5. reorganise the documentation:
    1. differ between target groups
    2. get better grouping
    3. decide what to write in forrest and what in wiki (cf. Apertium and http://xixona.dlsi.ua.es/apertium/) for a similar split)
    4. update/add missing parts
  6. migrate lexc lexicons to XML, splitting the task
    1. Name lexica (the Name project)
    2. Dictionaries (already in XML, task is to integrate them)
    3. At least migrate the lexc open POSes (Komi as a pilot case)
  7. change the look of the documentation web
  8. sfst?
    1. replacement for xfst -> see omorf , omorf wiki and omorfi
    2. replacement for hunspell/open-source proofing tools
  9. investigate the NSIS installer, potentially replacing the InstallShield package from Polderland
  10. corpus content moved to Max Planck repositories? Norsk språkbank?
  11. update infrastructure to allow content-restricted spellers for special target groups

SVN issues:

  • http access not yet available (https only at the moment, but it works as anonymous checkout if the user is not specified)
  • read access to the whole repo is working, BUT:
    • gt/*/polderland should be protected
    • plan should be protected
  • certain users need to be on the UiT VPN to be able to commit (bug #705)
  • UTF-8 problem in svn commit mails: the commit log text is garbled

TODO:

  • infrastructure remake: ( Børre, Ciprian, Saara, Sjur, Tomi, Trond)
    • more modularised make / build infra (prepare for smn, sms, sjd, others)
      • meeting Wednesday at 9.30 Norw. time - DONE
      • Børre is working on it
    • merge gt, kt and st into one
    • modularised preprocess and spellrelax
  • make a test-all target that runs all tests we have (Ciprian, Sjur, Trond)
    • delayed until we have restructured the make/build process
  • define and document testing routines (Ciprian, Sjur, Trond)
    • delayed until we have restructured the make/build process
  • follow-up migration to svn:
    • close the open SVN repository at requested paths (Ciprian)
      • completely closed at the moment, until we have solved the path-based control
    • prepare and discuss with external users: Jack Ruether (Trond)
  • setup iCal Server (on XServe) (Børre)
    • depends on the G5 returning
  • repair the G5 (Børre)
    • the G5 has returned!
  • remove TOC from the giellatekno home page by using dispatcher (Trond)

Linguistics

North Sámi

(nothing new, see proofing bugs below)

http: //giellatekno.uit.no/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=711

Lule Sámi

(nothing new, see proofing bugs below)

TODO:

  • sme->smj lexicon conversion to build bilingual lexicon resources, and increase smj coverage (Trond).
  • Add the words when all words are ready.

South Sámi

TODO:

  • step two for adjectives (David, Trond, Sjur)
  • finish reformulating the noun grammar like the verbs (David, Sjur, Trond)
    • proper noun done, but with errors
  • Missing list (focus on closed class words and addition on missing nouns, adjectives and verbs) (David, Jovsset)
  • prepare a workshop on South Sámi orthography and grammar (David)
    • date: last week of February (23.-27.) seems to work fine with SGL/South Sámi branch
    • Place: tentatively Trondheim, nothing decided, no meeting rooms ordered
    • we'll cover travel and hotel expenses
    • we'll invite both SGL and as many of the other key persons in the sma writing/normativity community as possible
    • set up a preliminary agenda (David, Sjur)
    • prepare data for each topic (David, Sjur, Trond)
  • clean the smanob data (Trond with some help)

Name lexicon/risten.no infrastructure

From the meeting with the terminology and IT teams last week:

  • no major rework on the present search interface now
  • no work on the editing section; instead:
  • add existing lists of sanctioned terminology as separate term entities
  • add a dictionary if we can make one with sufficient quality

This means the following tasks:

  • find already approved lists, in paper or electronic form (term team)
  • convert paper lists to electronic lists (term team)
  • convert lists to standard XML (Sjur, Tomi)
  • add prepared lists to risten.no (Sjur, Tomi)

TODO:

  1. fix i18n bug in risten.no/G5 (so they will work without the proper locale request) (Sjur)
  2. fix bugs in lexc2xml; add comments to the log element (Saara)
  3. finish first version of the editing (Sjur)
  4. test editing of the xml files. If ok, then: ( Sjur, Thomas, Trond)
  5. make terms-smX.xml <=== automatically from propernoun-sme-lex.xml (add nob as well) (the morphological section should be kept intact, in e.g. propernoun-sme-morph.txt) (Sjur, Saara)
  6. convert propernoun-($lang)-lex.txt to a derived file from common xml files ( Sjur, Tomi, Saara)
  7. implement data synchronisation between risten.no and the cvs repo, and possibly other servers (ie the G5 as an alternative server to the public risten.no - it might be faster and better suited than the official one; also local installations could be treated the same way)
  8. start to use the xml file as source file
  9. clean terms-sme.xml such that all names have the correct tag for their use (e.g. @type=secondary) (Thomas, linguists)
  10. merge placenames which are errouneously in different entries: e.g. Helsinki, Helsingfors, Helsset (linguists)
  11. publish the name lexicon on risten.no (Sjur)
  12. add missing parallel names for placenames (linguists)
  13. add informative links between first names like Niillas and Nils ( linguists)

Dictionaries

Ciprian is working hard on it.

TODO:

  • Continue the dictionary infrastructure discussion (Ciprian, Sjur, Trond)
  • make simple installer applications
  • make a public release
    • Make a homepage with instructions for dictionary use: xtdoc/gtuit/src/documentation/content/xdocs/dict.eng.xml
    • Clarify the difference between local and online dictionaries:
      • Plugin for Firefox and Internet Explorer (online dictionaries)
  • Contact Davvi Girji about cooperation on electronic dictionaries (Sjur)
  • short meeting to go through missing points before a release ( Ciprian, Sjur, Trond)

Proofing tools

Hunspell

TODO:

  • check the hunspell test bench and tokenization errors (Børre, Sjur)
  • implement an easter egg (almost) identical to the Polderland one (Børre)
    • done
  • fine tune suggestions (Børre, Thomas)
    • working on it, there are some problem areas, e.g. vd -> vdd

OpenXSpell

Working everywhere (almost) in MacOS X applications, provides Sámi spell checking system-wide through a hunspell back-end. OpenXSPell

There are two issues:

  • strings with non-ASCII chars are always flagged
  • asking for suggestions on words witn non-ASCII chars crashes OpenXSpell

Testing

Spelling Error Markup

TODO:

  • Set up ways of adding meta-information (source info, used in testing or not, added to lexicon or not) (Saara)
  • test new and nested error markup (Sjur)
    • nesting still needs to be tested, depends on new ccat feature

Speller testing

TODO:

  • check ccat, whether it allows specification of error type to be extracted or considered when doing gold-standard testing (Tomi)
    • checked, the feature should be working, but is undocumented
  • test the feature (Sjur)
  • document the feature (Tomi)

Speller updates

TODO:

  • compile new spellers (Tomi)

Speller bugs

List of bugs returned from Polderland: 621, 630, 652, 656, 676.

Open issues based on test results:

sme

Version: Davvisámi, version 1.0.1, 2008-11-23

  • 397 - see 449
  • 435 - roman numbers - inflection of single letter numbers rejected, as well as some complex numbers (but is ok in smj) - still OPEN
    • we should pregenerate all numbers once and for all, and store them in a separate lexicon file
  • 449 - REGRESSION: suopmasápmelaš comps wrongly accepted
  • 581 - consonant doubling - still OPEN
  • 593 - Missing words in beta 2 - one word left ( Nuppelohkái), still OPEN
  • 595 - prefix+name without hyphen (ovdaLot instead of ovda-Lot) - still OPEN
  • 597 - does not recognize nubbelohki - still OPEN
  • 599 - numeral attr: s on lot - oktalot not recognized - still OPEN
    • 'oktalot' - 10? or 11?
  • 600 - Gen+hyph compound - FIXED
  • 603 - suomabealdi accepted - still OPEN
  • 610 - duhát words missing - oktanuppelotduhát remaining - FIXED
  • 611 - double hyphen sugg still accepted - still OPEN, but no double hyphens, check test case
    • only open case is adjective derivation related bug
  • 613 - short gen. as second compound part - still OPEN
  • 619 - numerals and pronouns to NAMÁK and SASJ fails - vihttasoarttat remaining, still OPEN
  • 627 - prefix + hyhpen does not get accepted - FIXED
  • 629 - a taking part in compounding without hyphen - still OPEN
  • 631 - number compound, numbers starting with 0 - FIXED
  • 633 - double hyphens accepted - no double hyphens, but OPEN case, check test case - FIXED
  • 642 - noun/adj/proper + hyphen + ain - still OPEN
  • 644 - cased numeral+numeral compund - FIXED
  • 646 - adverb+hyphen+noun - FIXED
  • 647 - numerals+NOUN - still OPEN
  • 648 - REGRESSION: unmotivated suggestions with numeral+noun
  • 655 - pron + nai - still OPEN, 'makkár+nai' missing
    • sme.fst does not recognise it either
  • 696 - numerals + NAMAT-adjs + vuohta - still OPEN
  • 717 - noun-acro compounds (juovla-CD) - still OPEN, but fixed in smj
  • 728 - vowel shortening GenCmp+Left-tagged - still OPEN
  • 739 - Rmiddle-words accepted as first part of compound as well - FIXED

smj

Version: Julevsáme, version 1.0.1, 2008-10-16

  • 435 - roman number - single letter numbers now recognised
    • we should pregenerate all numbers once and for all, and store them in a separate lexicon file
    • please note that inflection of single letter numerals is fine in smj, as opposed to sme
  • 589 - REGRESSION: suggestions involving vowel-replacement
  • 594 - REGRESSION: lågenanguoktáj not recognized
  • 595 - prefix+name as split comp without hyphen - OPEN
  • 599 - numeral attr: s on lot - still OPEN
  • 616 - Bispadime-me-ráden - still OPEN, try to find an acro or abbr me
  • 629 - a taking part in compound - still OPEN
  • 631 - number compound, numbers starting with 0 - FIXED
  • 644 - cased numeral+numeral compund - FIXED
  • 647 - numerals+NOUN - still OPEN
  • 648 - unmotivated suggestions with numeral+noun - still OPEN
  • 650 - noun prefix+name compound without hyphen - still OPEN
  • 652 - UPPERCASE-typos only get acronym-suggestions - still OPEN
  • 692 - numeral-variants - still OPEN
  • 717 - noun-acro compounds - FIXED
  • one regression in 407, because input word has been SUBed.

TODO:

  • document how compounding is controlled in the PLX conversion (Tomi)

Hyphenator bugs

Open issues based on test results :

sme

Lexicon version: Davvisámi, version 1.0.1, 2008-04-01

  • 468 - REGRESSION: Márkomeanu - OPEN
  • 547 - REGRESSION: hyphen in front of vowel: Lotnolasealáhusas - OPEN
  • 548 - REGRESSION: mid syllable hyphenation: Háliidivččen - OPEN
  • 549 - REGRESSION: division without hyph: Váccedettiin
  • 673 - adj-derivations: guovttenuppelotčoarvvagiin (the word is not rec.)

smj

Lexicon version: Julevsáme, version 1.0.1, 2008-04-01

  • 545 - REGRESSION: bad hyphenation in compounds: åhpadusorganisásjåvnån (not recognised) - FIXED
  • 546 - REGRESSION: obligatory hyph rules seem to work in facultative manner: organisásjåvnån (not recognised) - FIXED
  • 547 - REGRESSION: hyphen in front of vowel: Jienastimnjuolgadusá and Orgánajs

TODO:

  • fix PL hyphenator errors (Tomi)

InDesign tools

Nothing new.

Releases

TODO:

  • update the Changes document (Sjur)
  • InDesign documentation (Sjur)
    • Norwegian translation received from Davvi Girji
  • prepare 1.1 release soon
    • target date: December 12 - one year after the 1.0 release.

Other

Personell seminar in SD

Task for those going there: sit down with Leif Åge, and have a look at the Divvun tools.

Who going?
Børre yes
David no
Joseph yes
Sjur no
Thomas no
Tomi yes

Sámi week in Tromsø

Sigbjørn Skåden has asked the UiT gang to demonstrate etc at the Tromsø city Library as a part of that week and the happenings at the Library. The week around February 6th (February 2-8). Sounds like a good idea, we will be there.

  • ped tools
  • Sámi dictionaries
  • Sámi proofing tools
  • other things?

Text to speech

Recording is done (Biret Ánne the local hero), the first alpha, or rather the quality is so good let us call it a beta has been made (Antti the Helsinki hero). Next step is to take one more round on improvements and do one rerun before the Sámediggi october meeting.

Antti has hinted at the possibility of doing beta versions of other languages as well. We are thus now recording Greenlandic sentences. A further possibility would be smj, sma, this would require phon-smX.xfst files for these languages as well (a couple of days' work for smj, more for sma), plus recording.

TODO:

  • Make a second round of improvements.
  • Consider more languages (pro-et-con for all-in-one-step vs. one banana fly first, the optimal choice is not obvious).
  • meeting to discuss labour and cost estimates next week - participants: Antti, Patrik, Sjur, Trond

Corpus contracts + open source

Postponed until the svn repository is fully functional (it is too open now).

Next meeting, closing

The next meeting is 1.12.2008, 9.30 Norwegian time.

The meeting was closed at 12: 01.

Appendix - task lists for the next five days

Boerre

iCal

  • leaflet: add Linux info (Børre)
  • Make a divvun-tools download log
  • check the hunspell test bench and tokenization errors
  • setup iCal server on the XServe
  • gt/Makefile remake
  • fine tune suggestions
  • improve OOo instructions
  • add Linux info in leaflet
  • leaflet screenshots for MS Office 2003
  • fix bugs!

Ciprian

iCal

  • close the open SVN repository at requested paths
  • make a test-all target that runs all tests we have (with Sjur and Trond)
  • define and document testing routines (with Sjur and Trond)
  • continue the dictionary infrastructure discussion (with Sjur, Trond)
  • improve processing of new corpus documents
  • make the pipeline of StarDict dictionary generation running on the Mac
  • update the Makefile for generating dictionaries (related to the dictionary infrastructure task)
  • take care of the error logging during conversion process
  • look at the xml conversion quality
  • make a list of (general and special) problems related with converting docs into xml-forat and adding them to the corpora
  • continue the search and testing of an appropriate tool for lexicon working (no xml-file editing via text editors!)
  • generate new sme: nob/nob: sme dictionaries in all formats, marking them as "Beta"-versions (Sjur's proposal to use an image background for that purpose)
  • infrastructure remake - news discussion
  • short meeting to go through missing points before a dictionary release (with Sjur, Trond)
  • dictionary discussion on estethics, layout (with Trond)
  • build the first version of smanob-dictionary (both MacDict and StarDict) by 07. dec. 2008
  • fix bugs!

David

iCal

  • continue gathering sma corpus texts
  • stay in contact with Sáminuorat about writing about the project and advertising.
  • prepare a workshop on South Sámi orthography and grammar (David)
    • set up a preliminary agenda (with Sjur)
    • prepare data for each topic (with Sjur and Trond)
  • call Ristin Persson for permission to use Sámi Radio texts
  • integrate adjectives into the analyser, without morphology as a starting point
  • work with missing lists

Jovsset

iCal

  • get the list of verbs from the auhtors of Verbh.
  • Write and translate leaflet text, add pictures. Talk to John Marcus Kuhmunen about the design. Send him links to with all languages.
  • Find a suitable infrastructure for the distribution of the CD version. Possible through the library bus, the language centres and common sami centres in all of Sápmi.
  • write formal letter to translator of Gåessie dah jeatjebh åerieminie
  • leaflet: review the Windows pictures, and usage instructions for MS Office XP. Review the select sami language part.
  • Write installation instructions for word 2003
  • better Windows usage descriptions, with emphasis on the pitfalls
  • Š-bláđi. Take contact with them about article.
  • work with missing lists

Per-Eric

  • transfer the smj texts by Kurt Tore and Ulf Stefan Winka to our corpus repository
  • follow-up contract from Lena Davidsson
  • fix bugs!

Saara

  • add new XSL/XML headers for proofing test docs
  • Set up ways of adding meta-information for proofing correct corpus docs (source info, used in testing or not, added to lexicon or not)
  • implement the ped UI and functionality

Sjur

iCal

  • name db/risten.no
  • update the Changes document
  • follow-up on some Polderland-related bugs: 621, 630, 652
  • InDesign documentation
  • make a test-all target that runs all tests we have (with Trond, Ciprian)
  • define and document testing routines (with Trond, Ciprian)
  • continue the dictionary infrastructure discussion (with Ciprian, Trond)
  • Contact Davvi Girji about cooperation on electronic dictionaries
  • subcontractor work for sma proofing tools, MS and Adobe versions
  • support and maintenance contract for sme and smj, MS+Adobe tools
  • Sámi languages as part of Norsk språkbank
  • contact MS Nordic, and ask them to include the Divvun tools in the next Office releases
  • set up a preliminary agenda for sma workshop (with David)
  • prepare data for each topic at sma workshop (with David and Trond)
  • short meeting to go through missing points before a dictionary release (with Ciprian, Trond)
  • leaflet: add link to OOo installation and usage instructions
  • leaflet: add InDesign text
  • meeting next week to discuss labour and cost estimates of TTS project
  • fix bugs!

Thomas

  • gather the smj texts from Nord-Salten avis (online archive)
  • fine tune suggestions for Hunspell
  • look at test cases still not behaving properly
  • sme->smj lexicon conversion to build bilingual lexicon resources, and increase smj coverage
  • fix bugs!

Tomi

  • document how compounding is controlled in the PLX conversion
  • fix double hyphen bugs
  • fix PL hyphenator bugs
  • fix PL and Hunspell conversion bugs
  • infrastructure remake
  • check ccat, whether it allows specification of error type to be extracted or considered when doing gold-standard testing
  • fix bugs!

Trond

iCal

  • integrate sma adjectives into the analyser (without morphology)
  • finish reformulating the proper noun grammar (with Sjur)
  • infrastructure remake
  • prepare data for each topic at sma workshop (with David and Sjur)
  • dictionary discussion on estethics, layout (with Ciprian)
  • meeting to go through missing points before a dictionary release (with Ciprian, Sjur)
  • clean the smanob data
  • meeting next week to discuss labour and cost estimates of TTS project
  • fix bugs!.