UIT The arctic university of Norway > Giellatekno
 

Meeting_2008-10-06

Meeting setup

  • Date: 6.10.2008
  • Time: 09.30 Norw. time
  • Place: Internet
  • Tools: SubEthaEdit, iChat

Agenda

Cf. one of the following, depending on context:

  • the upper bar of the SEE window (provided you use the JSPWiki syntax mode)
  • the TOC in Forrest-rendered output, like HTML and PDF

Opening, agenda review, participants

Opened at 09: 48.

Present: Børre, Ciprian, David, Sjur, Thomas, Tomi

Absent: Jovsset, Trond

Agenda accepted as is.

Updated task status since last meeting

Børre

  • Make a divvun-tools download log
    • not done
  • Make an extension package out of the spelling dictionaries
    • did it, tested it on OS X, Windows and Linux, and on OpenOffice.org 2.4, 3.0rcX and NeoOffice. Needs more work.
  • check the hunspell test bench and tokenization errors
    • not done
  • test installation of dictionaries
    • See above
  • setup iCal server on the XServe
    • Not done
  • fix bugs!
  • other:
    • Had a look at http: //www.artofsolving.com/opensource/jodconverter to streamline the conversion when adding files to our corpus, and also get access to more fileformats (in particular the OO.org ones). Worked well on my own machine, but didn't work on victorio. I will probably put the conversion on the xserve, and automatically move corpus files to victorio.

Ciprian

  • close the open SVN repository at requested paths
    • todo
  • make a test-all target that runs all tests we have (with Sjur and Trond)
    • todo
  • define and document testing routines (with Sjur and Trond)
    • todo
  • continue the dictionary infrastructure discussion (with Sjur, Trond)
    • Transforming NOB data into XML-format to add "intelligence" to the NOB: SME dictionaries
  • add three more texts to the corpus:
    • todo

David

  • continue gathering sma corpus texts
    • recently uploaded the book Sanna - saemien niejte Johkemehkeste. The work continues.
  • consider the best way to inform potential users in Sweden about the Divvun tools
    • Written and sent a pressrelease to local media. Sent the costs to advertise in two swedish same newspapers to Sjur.
  • gather orthographic decisions (with Maaren)
    • Have got some decisions. Nothing else than that seems to be done, except word lists.
  • translate corpus contract to swedish (with Jovsset)
    • not yet started with

Jovsset

  • get the Verbh manuscript in electronic form
  • Write and translate leaflet text, add pictures.
  • Find a suitable infrastructure for the distribution of the CD version. Possible through the library bus, the language centres and common sami centres in all of Sápmi.
  • Talk to person who can talk to translator of Gåessie dah jeatjebh åerieminie
  • ask Sámi newspapers about the best way to inform potential users in Sweden
    • done with David

Lene

  • Work on test routine with Trond and Sjur

Per-Eric

  • follow-up on the smj texts from Kurt Tore
    • contract done. Still need to get the actual texts.
  • follow-up contracts from Nord-Salten avis and Lena Davidsson
  • Work with missing list same_dutkama_pgr.txt
  • Plan a smj pr tour for our tools
  • contact Ulf Stefan Winka for smj texts
  • fix bugs!

Saara

  • add new XSL/XML headers for proofing test docs
  • Set up ways of adding meta-information for proofing correct corpus docs (source info, used in testing or not, added to lexicon or not)
  • implement the ped UI and functionality

Sjur

  • name db/risten.no
    • nothing
  • update the Changes document
    • nothing
  • follow-up on some Polderland-related bugs: 621, 630, 652
    • nothing
  • InDesign documentation
    • nothing
  • make a test-all target that runs all tests we have (with Trond and Ciprian)
    • nothing
  • define and document testing routines (with Trond, Ciprian)
    • nothing
  • write leaflet text
    • nothing, but ready for others to read
  • continue the dictionary infrastructure discussion (with Ciprian, Trond)
    • tested the new Mac dict (nobsme)
  • make make target for MS Office 2008 spellers
    • worked on it, not finished
  • add odd-syllabic verbs from Verbh pp 146-160, in case Linda can't
    • done three pages
  • reformulate the noun grammar like the verbs (with Trond)
    • nothing
  • Contact Davvi Girji about cooperation on electronic dictionaries
    • nothing
  • fix bugs!
    • nothing
  • other things:
    • finished an article with Trond, to go into a book about language technology. To be published before Christmas in Sweden (the book is in Swedish).
    • checked David's press release
    • installed OpenXSpeller, hunspell dictionaries
    • started to write specification and offer request for sma subcontractor offer

Thomas

  • prepare SGL-presentation of Divvun (Rica Romsa 1/10)
    • done
  • type the verbs in manually (missing: the odd-syllabic only, now at dïjmedidh on p. 113). The verbs to be added are the ones with p. 76 s. 161-175
    • done
  • make speller-testbed
    • done
  • look at test cases still not behaving properly
    • nothing this week
  • translate leaflet text
    • not yet
  • work with presentation at Guovgageaidnu-symposia
    • not yet
  • sme->smj lexicon conversion to build bilingual lexicon resources, and increase smj coverage
    • not yet
  • send an e-mail to Per-Eric and ask for corpus gathering status
    • done
  • ask Leif-Åge to burn some Divvun CD's, and send them with Maaren
    • done
  • fix bugs!
    • some work done

Tomi

  • document how compounding is controlled in the PLX conversion
    • not done
  • fix double hyphen bugs
    • working
  • fix PL hyphenator errors
    • not done
  • fix PL and Hunspell conversion bugs
    • working
  • work with presentation at Guovgageaidnu-symposia
    • not done
  • test hyphenator with new speller lexicons
    • not done
  • fix bugs!

Trond

  • Hunspell QA README and installation docs
  • Look at dictionaries pipeline
  • Plan recording for text-to-speech
  • South Sámi verbs
  • South Sámi adjectives
  • reformulate the noun grammar like the verbs (with Sjur)
  • fix bugs!.

Pedagogical software online

Meeting memos can be found at http://giellatekno.uit.no/ped/index.html#Meeting+memos

TODO:

  • implement the UI and functionality (Saara)
  • get an easy-to-remember URL (UiT/IT)
  • More thorough skin, layout, ... (External person within the Ped team, Internal forrest expert) This we will postponed until later

Corpus gathering

David added one book, originally in Swedish, translated into sma as well as sme and smj. Added sma text, will add original, and will ask for permission to add thnowe other two translations as well.

Contract feedback: the contract is too long, and too heavy. We need a short, or "light", version of the contract.

Processing steps for Sámi-Norwegian place name pairs from SK:

  • convert to xml - retain all data, and a source mark (conversion script in both directions?)
  • include in:
    • bilingual dictionaries
    • risten.no
    • monolingual transducers
    • subset in ped games (manual selection)
  • add inflection etc (using existing data)

TODO:

  • continue gathering sma corpus texts (David, Jovsset)
    • some gathered, sent in through the home page
  • follow-up on the smj texts from Kurt Tore ( Per-Eric)
    • send an e-mail and ask for status (Thomas)
      • done
  • other contacts: Nord-Salten avis ( Børge Strandskog), Lena Davidsson daughter to Lars-Matto Tuolja
  • Ulf Stefan Winka has a lot of smj texts (Per-Eric)
    • Thomas has discussed this with Per-Eric
  • plan a smj pr tour for our tools (Per-Eric, Thomas)
  • meet with the Sámi publishers (meeting delayed) (Jovsset)
  • add incoming sma texts to the corpus rep (Børre, Ciprian)
    • Ciprian would like to add some more automatisation to the corpus processing
  • make a 1-page, light version of the contract, also in Swedish ( Børre, David, Sjur, Trond)
  • fix the Upload more link (Børre)

Promoting Divvun

Thomas and Tomi were at Rica Hotell Tromsø last week, presenting the Divvun project for the SGL (Norwegian normative group, all but sma was represented). They were very positively surprised, and seemed interested. They even wanted to send texts to us.

Learning experience for us: even informed people do not really get what it is all about until we meet them. Which means that we need to meet more people, to get more people to use our tools and to send us texts.

Thomas talked about the normative work, especially the smj normative work. It is very unclear how loanwords should be normalised. Mentioned that he had made some decisions himself (with clear examples), and got positive response on that.

TODO:

  • Make a download log (Børre)
    • nothing new
  • use a newspaper or something to write about the tools from an end-user point of view (a review in Š, Ávvir, Nordsalten avis?)
    • Tomi's contact in Finland has too much work, but suggested Astrid Helander at Ávvir instead. (Thomas)
  • consider the best way to inform potential users in Sweden about the Divvun tools (David)
    • David has suggested to announce in Sáminuorat and Samefolket
    • preferably get an article in the papers at the same time, about the project and the tools
  • Prepare for a coordinated info campaign when Ped is ready (inform teachers about Divvun as well as Ped when we inform about Ped) - next year
  • Tour de Divvun (smj info tour) (Thomas, Per-Eric)
    • fix the date
    • make sure the leaflet is ready (see below)
    • bring some CD's
  • make leaflet to inform about the project (Jovsset)
  • distribute CD version through the library bus, the language centres and common sami centres in all of Sápmi. Gaaltije in Östersund for example. ( Leif Åge, Jovsset)
  • contact MS Nordic, and ask them to include the Divvun tools in the next Office releases (both Windows and Mac). The integration can/should be done by Polderland, which is an official MS subcontractor/integrator. It could be used by MS as part of their advertising for the next releases, and it will make it much easier for people to get access to the tools. (Sjur)

Future plans, directions and ideas

See a separate document in plan/strat/5year.jspwiki.

Infrastructure

To accomodate future enhancements in different directions (in rough order of importance):

  1. test bench for all parts of our language technology efforts
    1. test bench enhanced, but not yet complete
  2. more modularised make / build infra (prepare for smn, sms, sjd, others)
  3. merge gt, kt and st into one
  4. set up the Leopard Server features for collaborative support:
    1. permanent chat rooms
    2. stored (and indexed) chat transcripts of the chat rooms
    3. iCal server / group calendars
    4. wiki
  5. wiki? on G5 (is part of Leopard Server) or other web-based documentation
  6. improve Forrest stability and i18n support ( the divvun crashes)
    1. Sjur has been working on better i18n and pdf rendering
    2. Børre has some ideas for getting back to serving static html files
  7. reorganise the documentation:
    1. differ between target groups
    2. get better grouping
    3. decide what to write in forrest and what in wiki (cf. Apertium and http://xixona.dlsi.ua.es/apertium/) for a similar split)
    4. update/add missing parts
  8. migrate lexc lexicons to XML, splitting the task
    1. Name lexica (the Name project)
    2. Dictionaries (already in XML, task is to integrate them)
    3. At least migrate the lexc open POSes (Komi as a pilot case)
  9. change the look of the documentation web
  10. sfst?
    1. replacement for xfst -> see omorf , omorf wiki and omorfi
    2. replacement for hunspell/open-source proofing tools
  11. investigate the NSIS installer, potentially replacing the InstallShield package from Polderland
  12. corpus content moved to Max Planck repositories? Norsk språkbank?
  13. update infrastructure to allow content-restricted spellers for special target groups

SVN issues:

  • http access not yet available (https only at the moment, but it works as anonymous checkout if the user is not specified)
  • read access to the whole repo is working, BUT:
    • gt/*/polderland should be protected
    • plan should be protected
  • everything will be google-able by default if the repo URL is posted
  • certain users need to be on the UiT VPN to be able to commit (bug #705)
  • UTF-8 problem in svn commit mails: the commit log text is garbled

TODO:

  • make a test-all target that runs all tests we have (Ciprian, Sjur, Trond)
  • define and document testing routines (Ciprian, Sjur, Trond)
  • follow-up migration to svn:
    • close the open SVN repository at requested paths (Ciprian)
    • prepare and discuss with external users: Jack Ruether (Trond)
  • setup iCal Server (on XServe) (Børre)
    • working on it
  • repair the G5 (Børre)
    • received one e-mail asking for whether it is ok to format the disk

Linguistics

North Sámi

(nothing new, see proofing bugs below)

http: //giellatekno.uit.no/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=711

Lule Sámi

(nothing new, see proofing bugs below)

TODO:

  • sme->smj lexicon conversion to build bilingual lexicon resources, and increase smj coverage (Trond).
  • Add the words when all words are ready.

South Sámi

TODO:

  • get the Verbh manuscript in electronic form (Jovsset)
    • we give up, although we would welcome an answer
  • get an overview over all problematic areas of the orthography (David)
    • done as far as has been possible - a call to Lajla Mattsson-Magga confirmed the findings so far (ie mostly word lists have been handled, the only orthographic decision has been a partial decision on how to spell foreign words)
  • type the verbs in manually (to be written into verb-lex-sma.txt: the odd-syllabic only, now at dïjmedidh on p. 113). The verbs to be added are the ones with p. 76
    • 113-130 (David)
      • done
    • 131-145 (Jovsset)
      • done
    • 146-160 (Linda, Sjur as backup -> Thomas)
      • done 3 pages
    • 161-175 (Thomas)
      • done
    • 176-190 (Tomi)
      • done (by Thomas)
    • 191-205 (Trond)
      • done
  • ask Maja for the adjectives (Trond)
    • done, it is ok to use them
  • integrate adjectives into the analyser, without morphology as a starting point ( Trond, Sjur)
  • reformulate the noun grammar like the verbs (Sjur, Trond)

Name lexicon/risten.no infrastructure

TODO:

  1. fix i18n bug in risten.no/G5 (so they will work without the proper locale request) (Sjur)
  2. fix bugs in lexc2xml; add comments to the log element (Saara)
  3. finish first version of the editing (Sjur)
  4. test editing of the xml files. If ok, then: ( Sjur, Thomas, Trond)
  5. make terms-smX.xml <=== automatically from propernoun-sme-lex.xml (add nob as well) (the morphological section should be kept intact, in e.g. propernoun-sme-morph.txt) (Sjur, Saara)
  6. convert propernoun-($lang)-lex.txt to a derived file from common xml files ( Sjur, Tomi, Saara)
  7. implement data synchronisation between risten.no and the cvs repo, and possibly other servers (ie the G5 as an alternative server to the public risten.no - it might be faster and better suited than the official one; also local installations could be treated the same way)
  8. start to use the xml file as source file
  9. clean terms-sme.xml such that all names have the correct tag for their use (e.g. @type=secondary) (Thomas, linguists)
  10. merge placenames which are errouneously in different entries: e.g. Helsinki, Helsingfors, Helsset (linguists)
  11. publish the name lexicon on risten.no (Sjur)
  12. add missing parallel names for placenames (linguists)
  13. add informative links between first names like Niillas and Nils ( linguists)

Dictionaries

nob-sme dictionary works, ie compilation and building works as it should. Ciprian has also solved the paradigm generation issue on his computer, which means morphological intelligence should be back in sme-nob.

To get the paradigm generation working, clean everything and make a new automata and it should work.

September:

  • content revision of smenob:
    • split in noun, propernoun, adj, verb, other
    • make better content
  • fix the frontend issue (windows, linux)
    • Evaluate dictionary providers (Stardict, ...)
    • Platform?

TODO:

  • Continue the dictionary infrastructure discussion (Ciprian, Sjur, Trond)
  • clean up and generalise the make infrastructure
  • improve Linux and Windows local/integrated versions
  • make simple installer applications
  • make a public release
    • Make a homepage with instructions for dictionary use: xtdoc/gtuit/src/documentation/content/xdocs/dict.eng.xml
    • Clarify the difference between local and online dictionaries:
      • Plugin for Firefox and Internet Explorer (online dictionaries)
  • Contact Davvi Girji about cooperation on electronic dictionaries (Sjur)

Proofing tools

Hunspell

In our process to make hunspell tools, makealias, a script that compacts the hunspell dictionaries, has been incorporated (makealias is a shell script available as part of the source distribution). The resulting files seem to crash OO.org 3.0rcX at least on Windows and OS X.

The same files work well on OO.org 2.4 on Linux and Windows, and also as systemwide spellcheckers for both Gnome and KDE4 applications. Using the non-compacted hunspell dictionaries on OS X and OO.org 3.0 works well. On Windows (in a virtual machine and 256MB RAM) and OO.org 3.0, the spelling process stalls, probably due to too little RAM. Børre will test it again with more RAM.

TODO:

  • QA README and installation docs - report (Trond)
  • test the latest hunspell speller files (Sjur)
  • check the hunspell test bench and tokenization errors (Børre, Sjur)
  • make extension packages of the spellers (Børre)
  • test installations on all platforms (Børre)
  • fine tune suggestions (Børre, Thomas)

OpenXSpell

Working everywhere (almost) in MacOS X applications, provides Sámi spell checking system-wide through a hunspell back-end. The main problem is that it isn't yet UTF-8 safe. OpenXSPell

TODO:

  • fix the UTF-8 bug

Testing

Spelling Error Markup

TODO:

  • Set up ways of adding meta-information (source info, used in testing or not, added to lexicon or not) (Saara)
  • test new and nested error markup (Sjur)

Speller testing

We need a test file for testing the speller behaviour on a defined set of word constructions: compounds of all types, derivations, inflections, and combinations of those.

TODO:

  • make speller test file for word types (Thomas)
    • done
  • create a new test case using the new data (Sjur)

Speller updates

TODO:

  • test the spellers (Divvun team)
  • new make target for Office 2008 (Sjur)
    • progressing
  • waiting for hyphenation updates for 2008 (Polderland)
    • received

Speller bugs

List of bugs returned from Polderland: 621, 630, 652, 656, 676.

Open issues based on test results:

sme

Version: Davvisámi, version 1.0.1, 2008-09-25

  • 380 - REGRESSION - citation compounds
  • 397 - REGRESSION - name compounds, their derivations, other compounds
  • 426 - comp words from Divvun.no - guoktedássásaš accepted, some compounds not accepted - still OPEN
  • 431 - REGRESSION - name compounds / lowering in front of hyphen
  • 435 - roman numbers - inflection of single letter numbers rejected, as well as some complex numbers (but is ok in smj) - still OPEN
    • we should pregenerate all numbers once and for all, and store them in a separate lexicon file
  • 449 - REGRESSION - suopmasápmelaš comps wrongly accepted
  • 489 - REGRESSION - stem vowel shortening / compound tags
  • 581 - REGRESSION - consonant doubling
  • 525 - REGRESSION - citation compounds not accepted (the bug relates to suggs)
  • 536 - REGRESSION - speller accepts "impossible" compound forms
  • 539 - REGRESSION - speller does not follow compound tagging
  • 542 - REGRESSION - speller does not pronouns + clitic
  • 575 - REGRESSION - name+name suggestions with double hyphens (legal compounds not accepted)
  • 582 - REGRESSION - noun+Prop without hyphen
  • 593 - REGRESSION - Missing words in beta 2
  • 595 - prefix+name wihtout hyphen (ovdaLot instead of ovda-Lot) - still OPEN
  • 597 - REGRESSION - does not recognize nubbelohki
  • 599 - REGRESSION - numeral attr: s on lot
  • 600 - gen+hyph compound sámi-dáru - still OPEN
  • 603 - suomabealdi accepted - still OPEN
  • 606 - speller accepts VUOHTA compound - FIXED
  • 609 - REGRESSION - Anár-julggaštusa not recognized
  • 610 - REGRESSION - duhát words missing
  • 611 - double hyphen sugg still accepted - still OPEN
  • 612 - REGRESSION - case-forms of makkár
  • 613 - short gen. as second compound part - still FIXED
  • 619 - numerals and pronouns to NAMÁK and SASJ fails - still OPEN
  • 627 - prefix + hyhpen does not get accepted - FIXED
  • 629 - a taking part in compounding without hyphen - still OPEN
  • 631 - REGRESSION: number compound, numbers starting with 0
  • 633 - double hyphens accepted
  • 634 - PropGen+hyph+PropGen - still OPEN
  • 641 - numeral+noun compounds - FIXED
  • 642 - noun/adj/proper + hyphen + ain - FIXED
  • 644 - cased numeral+numeral compund - still OPEN
  • 646 - adverb + hyphen + noun - still OPEN
  • 647 - numerals+NOUN - still OPEN
  • 648 - unmotivated suggestions with numeral+noun - FIXED
  • 649 - name + adj compound without hyphen - still OPEN
  • 654 - speller does not recognize ordinals on -nuppelogát - FIXED
  • 655 - pron + nai - still OPEN
  • 658 - Suggestion saame - FIXED
  • 666 - REGRESSION: guovtte- and njealje-
  • 676 - triple-hyphen - now completely FIXED
  • 696 - numerals + NAMAT-adjs + vuohta
  • 697 - +N+Der1+Der/laš+A+Der3+Der/vuohta
  • 709 - sámedikkeválga accepted, or with bad suggestion
  • 717 - noun-acro compounds (juovla-CD)
  • 728 - vowel shortening GenCmp+Left-tagged
  • other regressions:
    • eaktudáhtolaččat now accepted
    • skuvlajagin now accepted - FIXED
    • skierranis now accepted - FIXED

smj

Version: Julevsáme, version 1.0.1, 2008-09-15

  • 435 - roman number - single letter numbers now recognised
    • we should pregenerate all numbers once and for all, and store them in a separate lexicon file
    • please note that inflection of single letter numerals is fine in smj, as opposed to sme
  • 482 - REGRESSION: double hyphen, polar>-dutkamin suggested
  • 496 - REGRESSION: unrecognised clitics
  • 595 - prefix+name wihtout hyphen (tsåhkeLot instead of tsåhke-Lot) - FIXED
  • 599 - numeral attr: s on lot - still OPEN
  • 600 - gen+hyph compound sáme-dáro - still OPEN
  • 616 - Bispadime-me-ráden - still OPEN, try to find an acro or abbr me
  • 619 - numerals and pronouns to NAMÁK and SASJ fails - still OPEN
  • 627 - REGRESSION: prefix + hyhpen does not get accepted
  • 629 - a taking part in compound - still OPEN
  • 631 - REGRESSION: number compound, numbers starting with 0
  • 634 - rop gen + hyphen + Prop gen - still OPEN
  • 641 - numeral+noun compounds - still OPEN
  • 644 - cased numeral+numeral compund - still OPEN
  • 647 - numerals+NOUN - still OPEN
  • 648 - unmotivated suggestions with numeral+noun - still OPEN
  • 649 - name + adj compound without hyphen - still OPEN
  • 650 - noun prefix+name compound without hyphen - still OPEN
  • 652 - REGRESSION: UPPERCASE-typos only get acronym-suggestions
  • 658 - Suggestion saame - FIXED
  • 692 - numeral-variants
  • 717 - NEW: - noun-acro compounds
  • 721 - NEW: - Nom- and gen-numerals make compounds with nouns
  • other regressions:
    • gus NOT accepted anymore
    • Svierigadárogielan NOT accepted anymore

TODO:

  • document how compounding is controlled in the PLX conversion (Tomi)

Hyphenator bugs

Open issues based on test results :

sme

Lexicon version: Davvisámi, version 1.0.1, 2008-04-01

  • 468 - REGRESSION: Márkomeanu
  • 547 - REGRESSION: hyphen in front of vowel: Lotnolasealáhusas
  • 548 - REGRESSION: mid syllable hyphenation: Háliidivččen
  • 549 - REGRESSION: division without hyph: Váccedettiin
  • 673 - adj-derivations: guovttenuppelotčoarvvagiin (the word is not rec.)
  • 677 - NEW: Wrongly hyphenated ending -danidja - invalid

smj

Lexicon version: Julevsáme, version 1.0.1, 2008-04-01

  • 545 - REGRESSION: bad hyphenation in compounds: åhpadusorganisásjåvnån (not recognised)
  • 546 - REGRESSION: obligatory hyph rules seem to work in facultative manner: organisásjåvnån (not recognised)
  • 547 - REGRESSION: hyphen in front of vowel: Jienastimnjuolgadusá and Orgánajs

TODO:

  • fix PL hyphenator errors (Tomi)
  • test hyphenator with new speller lexicons (Tomi)

InDesign tools

Nothing new.

Releases

TODO:

  • update the Changes document (Sjur)
  • InDesign documentation (Sjur)
    • Norwegian translation received from Davvi Girji
  • prepare 1.1 release soon

Other

Forthcoming Sámi allaskuvla conference

Info on the conference site.

Title submitted is: Goallosteapmi ja suorggideapmi Divvun-reaidduin

Registration: http://www.viaregi.no/registration/deltagerweb.aspx?kid=3440&aid=8700

Registration deadline is September 10.

TODO:

  • write presentation (Thomas, Tomi)

Presentation at SGL, Rica Hotell Tromsø

Done, see report further up. No CD's showed up, though : (

Text to speech

We are planning a North Sámi text to speech. Work on the text-to-transcription (ttt) component has begun, and for the transcription-to-sound we cooperate with U Hki. For a forthcoming october demo we have two alternative tracks:

  1. Do the ttt with quasi-Finnish orthography as output, and plug it onto the Finnish ttt (the Sámi-as-a-Finnish-priest solution) (pro: the web demo is there, so the demo is within reach; con: several phonemes are missing)
  2. Do the ttt with SAMPA as output, and read in 200 sentences, and have Hki generate a voice based upon that (pro: probably better result, head start on the project; con: we risk that is not be done by
  3. Do both in parallel. (pro: safety first, not much double work; con: well, the double work in the phon-sme.xfst file)

The best thing would probably be to do both tracks, to be on the safe side.

echo "23847 ja de mun ipmirdán ja 12° ja §12 ja 23,2 ja 23,- ja 23-23" | jietna.sh
kuokː.hte.lo.gi kolə.bmɑ tuː.hɑːh kɑːvht.tsiː tʃuo.ðiː ɲeæl.lje lo.giː tʃie.dʃɑ 
jɑ te mun ip.mir.dɑːn jɑ kuokː.hte nup.pe.lohː.kɑːj grɑː.dɑ jɑ pɑ.rɑː.grɑː.fɑ...

TODO:

  • Technical issues on the ttt automata (Trond, ...)
  • Moving input to required xml format (Helsinki)
  • Read in the 200 sentences (Biret Ánne)
  • Make sounds out of them (Helsinki)

Corpus contracts + open source

Postponed until the svn repository is fully functional (it is too open now).

Next meeting, closing

The next meeting is 13.10.2008, 9.30 Norwegian time.

The meeting was closed at 11: 51.

Appendix - task lists for the next five days

Boerre

iCal

  • fix the Upload more link on the corpus upload page
  • Make a divvun-tools download log
  • Finish the OOo extension package of the hunspell dictionaries
  • check the hunspell test bench and tokenization errors
  • test installation of dictionaries
  • setup iCal server on the XServe
  • make a 1-page, light version of the corpus contract, also in Swedish
  • fix bugs!

Ciprian

iCal

  • close the open SVN repository at requested paths
  • make a test-all target that runs all tests we have (with Sjur and Trond)
  • define and document testing routines (with Sjur and Trond)
  • continue the dictionary infrastructure discussion (with Sjur, Trond)
  • add three more texts to the corpus
  • make the pipeline of StarDict dictionary generation running on the Mac
  • have a closer look at the formatting for StarDict
  • update the Makefile for generating dictionaries (related to the dictionary infrastructure task)

David

iCal

  • continue gathering sma corpus texts
  • contact Samefolket or Sáminuorat about writing about the project and advertising.
  • gather orthographic decisions (with Maaren)
  • translate corpus contract to swedish (with Jovsset)
  • make a 1-page, light version of the corpus contract, also in Swedish

Jovsset

iCal

  • get the Verbh manuscript in electronic form
  • Write and translate leaflet text, add pictures.
  • Find a suitable infrastructure for the distribution of the CD version. Possible through the library bus, the language centres and common sami centres in all of Sápmi.
  • Talk to person who can talk to translator of Gåessie dah jeatjebh åerieminie

Lene

  • Work on test routine with Trond and Sjur

Per-Eric

iCal

  • transfer the smj texts by Kurt Tore to our corpus repository
  • follow-up contracts from Nord-Salten avis and Lena Davidsson
  • Work with missing list same_dutkama_pgr.txt
  • Plan a smj pr tour for our tools
  • contact Ulf Stefan Winka for smj texts
  • fix bugs!

Saara

  • add new XSL/XML headers for proofing test docs
  • Set up ways of adding meta-information for proofing correct corpus docs (source info, used in testing or not, added to lexicon or not)
  • implement the ped UI and functionality

Sjur

iCal

  • name db/risten.no
  • update the Changes document
  • follow-up on some Polderland-related bugs: 621, 630, 652
  • InDesign documentation
  • make a test-all target that runs all tests we have (with Trond, Ciprian)
  • define and document testing routines (with Trond, Ciprian)
  • write leaflet text
  • continue the dictionary infrastructure discussion (with Ciprian, Trond)
  • make make target for MS Office 2008 spellers
  • reformulate the noun grammar like the verbs (with Trond)
  • Contact Davvi Girji about cooperation on electronic dictionaries
  • subcontractor work for sma proofing tools, MS and Adobe versions
  • support and maintenance contract for sme and smj, MS+Adobe tools
  • write paper about our test bench to be presented at the NLP for reading and writing workshop at SLTC2008 in Stockholm, Nov. 20-21
  • Sámi languages as part of Norsk språkbank
  • make a 1-page, light version of the corpus contract, also in Swedish
  • contact MS Nordic, and ask them to include the Divvun tools in the next Office releases (both Windows and Mac). The integration can/should be done by Polderland, which is an official MS subcontractor/integrator. It could be used by MS as part of their advertising for the next releases, and it will make it much easier for people to get access to the tools.
  • integrate sma adjectives into the analyser (without morphology)
  • create a new test case using the new speller test data
  • fix bugs!

Thomas

  • type the verbs in manually (missing: the odd-syllabic only, now at dïjmedidh on p. 113). The verbs to be added are the ones with p. 76 s. 146-160
  • fine tune suggestions for Hunspell
  • look at test cases still not behaving properly
  • translate leaflet text
  • test leaflet installation instructions on Mac, Windows XP, Windows Vista
  • work with presentation at Guovgageaidnu-symposia
  • sme->smj lexicon conversion to build bilingual lexicon resources, and increase smj coverage
  • contact Astrid Helander at Ávvir for a project interview aimed at getting more knowledge about the tools out to the users = more users
  • fix bugs!

Tomi

  • document how compounding is controlled in the PLX conversion
  • fix double hyphen bugs
  • fix PL hyphenator errors
  • fix PL and Hunspell conversion bugs
  • work with presentation at Guovgageaidnu-symposia
  • test hyphenator with new speller lexicons
  • fix bugs!

Trond

iCal

  • Hunspell QA README and installation docs
  • Look at dictionaries pipeline
  • Plan recording for text-to-speech
  • South Sámi verbs
  • South Sámi adjectives
  • reformulate the noun grammar like the verbs (with Sjur)
  • make a 1-page, light version of the corpus contract, also in Swedish
  • integrate sma adjectives into the analyser (without morphology)
  • fix bugs!.