UIT The arctic university of Norway > Giellatekno
 

Meeting_2008-09-08

Meeting setup

  • Date: 8.9.2008
  • Time: 09.30 Norw. time
  • Place: Internet
  • Tools: SubEthaEdit, iChat

Agenda

Cf. one of the following, depending on context:

  • the upper bar of the SEE window (provided you use the JSPWiki syntax mode)
  • the TOC in Forrest-rendered output, like HTML and PDF

Opening, agenda review, participants

Opened at 10: 01.

Present: Børre, Ciprian, Jovsset, Sjur, Thomas, Tomi, Trond

Absent: none

Agenda accepted as is.

Updated task status since last meeting

Børre

  • repair G5
    • Sent to service
  • fix the remaining hunspell conversion bugs
    • The program goes out of memory
  • Make a divvun-tools download log
    • Not done
  • setup Jabber accounts in Tromsø
    • Not done
  • setup iCal server on the XServe
    • Working on it
  • buy MS Office 2008 to Børre, Thomas, Tomi
    • Not done
  • fix bugs!

Ciprian

  • close the open SVN repository at requested paths
    • Working on it
  • make a test-all target that runs all tests we have (with Sjur and Trond)
    • Looking at the existing makefie-fikes
  • define and document testing routines (with Sjur and Trond)
  • look at our existing dictionaries
    • Ongoing work
  • sketch suggestions for improved dictionary infrastructure
    • Ongoing work
  • continue the dictionary infrastructure discussion (with Sjur, Trond)
  • lern how to add texts to the corpus repository, see Corpus gathering (with Børre)
    • TODO
  • dictionary meeting Wednesday 9: 30 with Sjur, Trond
    • DONE

Jovsset

  • follow up on sma corpus texts. Call Sijti Jarnge and Gun Utsi
    • done
  • get the Verbh manuscript in electronic form
    • composed a letter together with Sjur and sent it to the publisher.
  • Write and translate leaflet text
    • In progress
  • distribute CD version through the library bus, the language centres and common sami centres in all of Sápmi.
    • nothing new
  • Talk to translator of Gåessie dah jeatjebh åerieminie
    • not done.
  • e-mail to whomever it may concern about the divvun projekt. Translation needed to finnish.
    • awaiting the finnish translation.
  • ask Sámi newspapers about the best way to inform potential users in Sweden
    • not done

Lene

  • Work on test routine with Trond and Sjur

Per-Eric

  • follow-up on the smj texts from Kurt Tore
  • follow-up contracts from Nord-Salten avis and Lena Davidsson
  • Work with missing list same_dutkama_pgr.txt
  • Plan a smj pr tour for our tools
  • contact Ulf Stefan Winka for smj texts
  • fix bugs!

Saara

  • add new XSL/XML headers for proofing test docs
  • Set up ways of adding meta-information for proofing correct corpus docs (source info, used in testing or not, added to lexicon or not)
  • implement the ped UI and functionality

Sjur

  • follow up on sma corpus texts
    • nothing new
  • name db/risten.no
    • nothing new
  • update the Changes document
    • nothing
  • follow-up on some Polderland-related bugs: 621, 630, 652
    • nothing new
  • InDesign documentation
    • nothing new
  • make a test-all target that runs all tests we have (with Trond and Ciprian)
    • nothing new
  • define and document testing routines (with Trond and Ciprian)
    • nothing new
  • write leaflet text
    • nothing new
  • continue the dictionary infrastructure discussion (with Ciprian, Trond)
    • meeting with Trond and Ciprian
  • continue work with phon (with Patrik, Biret-Ánne, Thomas(?))
    • meeting with Antti Suni (Helsinki university) and Tron
  • dictionary meeting Wednesday 9: 30 with Ciprian, Trond
    • done
  • discuss article and presentation Thursday 9: 30 with Thomas, Tomi
    • done
  • fix bugs!
    • no bugs fixed
  • other things
    • tested new spellers for MS Office 2008 - working fine
    • finished part 1 of my Forrest improvements project - now font families can be completely specified without touching the pdf plugin; this is a big improvement for us, it was the main reason why Børre had to create a custom Forrest package (without it Sámi chars would appear as # in pdf); the next step is to do proper i18n of the pdf plugin (that should be quick and simple - the font family work was not that simple)

Thomas

  • look at test cases still not behaving properly
    • not anything this week
  • translate leaflet text
    • not done
  • get updated list of Norwegian-Sámi name-pairs from Statens Kartverk
    • nothing new
  • discuss article and presentation Thursday 9: 30 with Sjur, Tomi
    • done
  • fix bugs!
    • not anything this week

Tomi

  • document how compounding is controlled in the PLX conversion
    • not done
  • make sure gt/Makefile is working for PL speller compilation
    • done
  • compile a new set of speller and hyphenator lexicons Thursday
    • not succeeded
  • run speller and hyphenator tests on Friday
    • not done
  • translate Jovsset's e-mail into Finnish
    • ??
  • fix double hyphen bugs
    • not done
  • fix PL hyphenator errors
    • not done
  • fix PL and Hunspell conversion bugs
    • working on
  • discuss article and presentation Thursday 9: 30 with Sjur, Thomas
    • was done without Tomi
  • fix bugs!

Trond

  • Hunspell QA README and installation docs
    • Looked at it, so the process has started, but still nothing in writing.
  • make a test-all target that runs all tests we have (with Sjur and Ciprian)
    • Awaiting dictionary project
  • define and document testing routines (with Sjur and Ciprian)
    • Awaiting dictionary project
  • Dictionaries
  • continue the dictionary infrastructure discussion (with Ciprian, Sjur)
    • Work in progress
  • Text-to-speech
    • Updated rule format, now translating to SAMPA, not to "Finnish". Planned different strategies for tts demo
  • dictionary meeting Wednesday 9: 30 with Ciprian, Sjur
    • Done, and progress
  • fix bugs!.
    • Done some work on Bugzilla

Pedagogical software online

Work in progress.

Meeting memos can be found at http://giellatekno.uit.no/ped/index.html#Meeting+memos

TODO:

  • implement the UI and functionality (Saara)
  • get an easy-to-remember URL (UiT/IT)
  • More thorough skin, layout, ... (External person within the Ped team, Internal forrest expert) This we will postponed until later

Corpus gathering

More attempts at getting the Verbh verb list.

TODO:

  • follow up on sma corpus texts (Sjur, Jovsset)
  • follow-up on the smj texts from Kurt Tore ( Per-Eric)
  • other contacts: Nord-Salten avis ( Børge Strandskog), Lena Davidsson daughter to Lars-Matto Tuolja
  • Ulf Stefan Winka has a lot of smj texts (Per-Eric)
    • Thomas has discussed this with Per-Eric
  • plan a smj pr tour for our tools (Per-Eric, Thomas)
  • meet with the Sámi publishers (meeting delayed) (Jovsset)
  • add sma texts to the corpus rep (Børre, Ciprian)
  • get updated list of sme-nob place name pairs (Thomas)

Promoting Divvun

TODO:

  • Make a download log (Børre)
  • use a newspaper or something to write about the tools from an end-user point of view (a review in Š, Ávvir, Nordsalten avis?)
    • Tomi will make one contact to Finland
    • ask the newspapers above about the best way to inform potential users in Sweden (Jovsset)
  • Prepare for a coordinated info campaign when Ped is ready (inform teachers about Divvun as well as Ped when we inform about Ped) - next year
  • Tour de Divvun (smj info tour) (Thomas, Per-Eric)
    • fix the date
    • make sure the leaflet is ready (see below)
    • bring some CD's
  • e-mail list of interested persons (local "installers"/gurus should be on it)
    • Finnish translation missing (Tomi)
  • make leaflet to inform about the project (Jovsset)
    • first draft available at xtdoc/sd/src/documentation/content/xdocs/leaflet.nb.jspwiki (there is also a Swedish version there)
    • translate text when it is finished (Thomas, Jovsset)
  • distribute CD version through the library bus, the language centres and common sami centres in all of Sápmi. Gaaltije in Östersund for example. ( Leif Åge, Jovsset)

Future plans, directions and ideas

See a separate document in plan/strat/5year.jspwiki.

Infrastructure

To accomodate future enhancements in different directions (in rough order of importance):

  1. test bench for all parts of our language technology efforts
    1. test bench enhanced, but not yet complete
  2. close certain parts of the svn code repository
    1. on the todo list
  3. more modularised make / build infra (prepare for smn, sms, sjd, others)
  4. merge gt, kt and st into one
  5. set up the Leopard Server features for collaborative support:
    1. permanent chat rooms
    2. stored (and indexed) chat transcripts of the chat rooms
    3. iCal server / group calendars
    4. wiki
  6. wiki? on G5 (is part of Leopard Server) or other web-based documentation
  7. improve Forrest stability and i18n support ( the divvun crashes)
    1. Sjur has been working on better i18n and pdf rendering
    2. Børre has some ideas for getting back to serving static html files
  8. reorganise the documentation:
    1. differ between target groups
    2. get better grouping
    3. decide what to write in forrest and what in wiki (cf. Apertium (http: //www.apertium.org/ and http: //xixona.dlsi.ua.es/apertium/) for a similar split)
    4. update/add missing parts
  9. migrate lexc lexicons to XML, splitting the task
    1. Name lexica (the Name project)
    2. Dictionaries (already in XML, task is to integrate them)
    3. At least migrate the lexc open POSes (Komi as a pilot case)
  10. change the look of the documentation web
  11. sfst? Both as replacement for xfst and for hunspell/open-source proofing tools
  12. investigate the NSIS installer, potentially replacing the InstallShield package from Polderland
  13. corpus content moved to Max Planck repositories?
  14. update infrastructure to allow content-restricted spellers for special target groups

SVN issues:

  • http access not yet available (https only at the moment, but it works as anonymous checkout if the user is not specified)
  • read access to the whole repo is working, BUT:
    • gt/*/polderland should be protected
    • plan should be protected
  • everything will be google-able by default if the repo URL is posted
  • certain users need to be on the UiT VPN to be able to commit (bug #705)
  • UTF-8 problem in svn commit mails: the commit log text is garbled

TODO:

  • make a test-all target that runs all tests we have (Ciprian, Sjur, Trond)
  • define and document testing routines (Ciprian, Sjur, Trond)
  • re-setup Jabber accounts in iChat (all, Børre)
  • follow-up migration to svn:
    • close the open SVN repository at requested paths (Ciprian)
    • prepare and discuss with external users: Jack Ruether (Trond)
  • setup iCal Server (on XServe) (Børre)
    • working on it
  • repair the G5 (Børre)
    • has been sent to repair

Linguistics

North Sámi

(nothing new, see proofing bugs below)

http: //giellatekno.uit.no/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=711

Lule Sámi

(nothing new, see proofing bugs below)

TODO:

  • sme->smj lexicon conversion to build bilingual lexicon resources, and increase smj coverage (Trond).
  • Add the words when all words are ready.

South Sámi

TODO:

  • get the Verbh manuscript in electronic form (Jovsset)
  • hire a linguist (Sjur)
    • the bureaucratic processing is now done, now practical details left

Name lexicon/risten.no infrastructure

TODO:

  1. fix i18n bug in risten.no/G5 (so they will work without the proper locale request) (Sjur)
  2. fix bugs in lexc2xml; add comments to the log element (Saara)
  3. finish first version of the editing (Sjur)
  4. test editing of the xml files. If ok, then: ( Sjur, Thomas, Trond)
  5. make terms-smX.xml <=== automatically from propernoun-sme-lex.xml (add nob as well) (the morphological section should be kept intact, in e.g. propernoun-sme-morph.txt) (Sjur, Saara)
  6. convert propernoun-($lang)-lex.txt to a derived file from common xml files ( Sjur, Tomi, Saara)
  7. implement data synchronisation between risten.no and the cvs repo, and possibly other servers (ie the G5 as an alternative server to the public risten.no - it might be faster and better suited than the official one; also local installations could be treated the same way)
  8. start to use the xml file as source file
  9. clean terms-sme.xml such that all names have the correct tag for their use (e.g. @type=secondary) (Thomas, linguists)
  10. merge placenames which are errouneously in different entries: e.g. Helsinki, Helsingfors, Helsset (linguists)
  11. publish the name lexicon on risten.no (Sjur)
  12. add missing parallel names for placenames (linguists)
  13. add informative links between first names like Niillas and Nils ( linguists)

Dictionaries

September:

  • content revision of smenob:
    • split in noun, propernoun, adj, verb, other
    • make better content
  • fix the frontend issue (windows, linux)
    • Evaluate dictionary providers (Stardict, ...)
    • Platform?

TODO:

  • look at our existing dictionaries (Ciprian)
  • sketch suggestions (Ciprian)
  • Continue the dictionary infrastructure discussion (Ciprian, Sjur, Trond)
  • clean up and generalise the make infrastructure
  • make Linux and Windows local/integrated versions
  • make simple installer applications
  • make a public release
    • Make a homepage with instructions for dictionary use: xtdoc/gtuit/src/documentation/content/xdocs/dict.eng.xml
    • Clarify the difference between local and online dictionaries:
      • Plugin for Firefox and Internet Explorer (online dictionaries)
  • dictionary meeting Wednesday 9: 30 (Ciprian, Sjur, Trond)
    • done

Proofing tools

Hunspell

Progressing...

TODO:

  1. QA README and installation docs - report (Trond)
  2. fix the remaining conversion bugs (Børre, Tomi)

Testing

Spelling Error Markup

TODO:

  • Set up ways of adding meta-information (source info, used in testing or not, added to lexicon or not) (Saara)
  • test new and nested error markup (Sjur)

Speller updates

TODO:

  • buy MS Office 2008 to all members of the Divvun team (Børre)
  • test the spellers (Divvun team)
    • Sjur tested very briefly, it seems to work as it should
  • new make target for Office 2008 (Sjur)
  • waiting for hyphenation updates for 2008 (Polderland)

Speller bugs

List of bugs returned from Polderland: 621, 630, 652, 656, 676.

Open issues based on test results:

sme

Version: Davvisámi, version 1.0.1, 2008-06-02

  • 426 - comp words from Divvun.no - guoktedássásaš accepted - still OPEN
  • 435 - roman numbers - inflection of single letter numbers rejected, as well as some complex numbers (but is ok in smj) - still OPEN
    • we should pregenerate all numbers once and for all, and store them in a separate lexicon file
  • 595 - prefix+name wihtout hyphen (ovdaLot instead of ovda-Lot) - still OPEN
  • 600 - gen+hyph compound sámi-dáru - still OPEN
  • 603 - suomabealdi accepted - still OPEN
  • 606 - speller accepts VUOHTA compound - still OPEN
  • 611 - double hyphen sugg still accepted - still OPEN
  • 613 - short gen. as second compound part - still OPEN
  • 619 - numerals and pronouns to NAMÁK and SASJ fails - still OPEN
  • 627 - prefix + hyhpen does not get accepted - FIXED
  • 629 - a taking part in compounding without hyphen - still OPEN
  • 633 - REGRESSION: double hyphens accepted
  • 634 - PropGen+hyph+PropGen - still OPEN
  • 641 - numeral+noun compounds - still OPEN
  • 642 - noun/adj/proper + hyphen + ain - still OPEN
  • 644 - cased numeral+numeral compund - still OPEN
  • 646 - adverb + hyphen + noun - still OPEN
  • 647 - numerals+NOUN - still OPEN
  • 648 - unmotivated suggestions with numeral+noun - still OPEN
  • 649 - name + adj compound without hyphen - still OPEN
  • 654 - speller does not recognize ordinals on -nuppelogát - still OPEN
  • 655 - pron + nai - still OPEN
  • 658 - Suggestion saame - still OPEN - won't fix
  • 666 - guovtte- and njealje- - FIXED
  • 676 - triple-hyphen - FIXED, but double hyphen is still accepted
  • other regressions:
    • skuvlajagin now accepted
    • skierranis now accepted

smj

Version: Julevsáme, version 1.0.1, 2008-06-02

  • 435 - roman number - single letter numbers now recognised
    • we should pregenerate all numbers once and for all, and store them in a separate lexicon file
    • please note that inflection of single letter numerals is fine in smj, as opposed to sme
  • 595 - prefix+name wihtout hyphen (tsåhkeLot instead of tsåhke-Lot) - still OPEN
  • 599 - REGRESSION: numeral attr: s on lot
  • 600 - gen+hyph compound sáme-dáro - still OPEN
  • 616 - Bispadime-me-ráden - still OPEN, try to find an acro or abbr me
  • 619 - numerals and pronouns to NAMÁK and SASJ fails - still OPEN
  • 629 - a taking part in compound - still OPEN
  • 634 - rop gen + hyphen + Prop gen - still OPEN
  • 641 - numeral+noun compounds - still OPEN
  • 644 - cased numeral+numeral compund - still OPEN
  • 647 - numerals+NOUN - still OPEN
  • 648 - unmotivated suggestions with numeral+noun - still OPEN
  • 649 - name + adj compound without hyphen - still OPEN
  • 650 - noun prefix+name compound without hyphen - still OPEN
  • 658 - Suggestion saame - still OPEN, won't fix
  • 692 - NEW: - numeral-variants
  • other regressions:
    • gus NOT accepted anymore

TODO:

  • compile new speller lexicons (Tomi)
  • document how compounding is controlled in the PLX conversion (Tomi)

Hyphenator bugs

Open issues based on test results :

sme

Lexicon version: Davvisámi, version 1.0.1, 2008-04-01

  • 468 - REGRESSION: Márkomeanu
  • 547 - REGRESSION: hyphen in front of vowel: Lotnolasealáhusas
  • 548 - REGRESSION: mid syllable hyphenation: Háliidivččen
  • 549 - REGRESSION: division without hyph: Váccedettiin
  • 673 - adj-derivations: guovttenuppelotčoarvvagiin (the word is not rec.)
  • 677 - NEW: Wrongly hyphenated ending -danidja - invalid

smj

Lexicon version: Julevsáme, version 1.0.1, 2008-04-01

  • 545 - REGRESSION: bad hyphenation in compounds: åhpadusorganisásjåvnån (not recognised)
  • 546 - REGRESSION: obligatory hyph rules seem to work in facultative manner: organisásjåvnån (not recognised)
  • 547 - REGRESSION: hyphen in front of vowel: Jienastimnjuolgadusá and Orgánajs

TODO:

  • fix hyphenator errors (Tomi)

InDesign tools

Nothing new.

Releases

TODO:

  • update the Changes document (Sjur)
  • InDesign documentation (Sjur)
    • Norwegian translation received from Davvi Girji
  • prepare 1.1 release soon

Other

Forthcoming Sámi allaskuvla conference

Info on the conference site.

Title submitted is: Goallosteapmi ja suorggideapmi Divvun-reaidduin

Registration: http://www.viaregi.no/registration/deltagerweb.aspx?kid=3440&aid=8700

Registration deadline is September 10.

TODO:

  • discuss article and presentation Thursday 9: 30 (Sjur, Thomas, Tomi)
    • done without Tomi
  • register participants, see deadline above, decision next Monday
    • Thomas and Tomi will go

Summer vacations

TODO:

  • The Divvun team should report their vacation days to Julie ( Tomi)
    • done!

Text to speech

We are planning a North Sámi text to speech. Work on the text-to-transcription (ttt) component has begun, and for the transcription-to-sound we cooperate with U Hki. For a forthcoming october demo we have two alternative tracks:

  1. Do the ttt with quasi-Finnish orthography as output, and plug it onto the Finnish ttt (the Sámi-as-a-Finnish-priest solution) (pro: the web demo is there, so the demo is within reach; con: several phonemes are missing)
  2. Do the ttt with SAMPA as output, aRead in 200 sentences, and have Hki generate a voice based upon that (pro: probably better result, head start on the project; con: we risk that is not be done by
  3. Do both in parallel. (pro: safety first, not much double work; con: well, the double work in the phon-sme.xfst file)

The best thing would probably be to do both tracks, to be on the safe side.

TODO:

  • (Meeting to) improve the rule set (Trond, Patrik, Biret Ánne)
  • Technical issues on the ttt automata (Trond, ...)
  • Moving input to required xml format (Helsinki)
  • Read in the 200 sentences (Biret Ánne)
  • Make sounds out of them (Helsinki)

Corpus contracts + open source

Postponed until the svn repository is fully functional (it is too open now).

Next meeting, closing

The next meeting is 15.9.2008, 9.30 Norwegian time.

The meeting was closed at 10: 35.

Appendix - task lists for the next five days

Boerre

iCal

  • fix the remaining hunspell conversion bugs
  • Make a divvun-tools download log
  • setup Jabber accounts in Tromsø
  • setup iCal server on the XServe
  • buy MS Office 2008 to Børre, Thomas, Tomi
  • fix bugs!

Ciprian

iCal

  • close the open SVN repository at requested paths
  • make a test-all target that runs all tests we have (with Sjur and Trond)
  • define and document testing routines (with Sjur and Trond)
  • look at our existing dictionaries
  • sketch suggestions for improved dictionary infrastructure
  • continue the dictionary infrastructure discussion (with Sjur, Trond)
  • lern how to add texts to the corpus repository, see Corpus gathering (with Børre)

Jovsset

iCal

  • get the Verbh manuscript in electronic form
  • Write and translate leaflet text
  • distribute CD version through the library bus, the language centres and common sami centres in all of Sápmi.
  • Talk to translator of Gåessie dah jeatjebh åerieminie
  • e-mail to whomever it may concern about the divvun projekt. Translation needed to finnish.
  • ask Sámi newspapers about the best way to inform potential users in Sweden

Lene

  • Work on test routine with Trond and Sjur

Per-Eric

iCal

  • follow-up on the smj texts from Kurt Tore
  • follow-up contracts from Nord-Salten avis and Lena Davidsson
  • Work with missing list same_dutkama_pgr.txt
  • Plan a smj pr tour for our tools
  • contact Ulf Stefan Winka for smj texts
  • fix bugs!

Saara

  • add new XSL/XML headers for proofing test docs
  • Set up ways of adding meta-information for proofing correct corpus docs (source info, used in testing or not, added to lexicon or not)
  • implement the ped UI and functionality

Sjur

iCal

  • follow up on sma corpus texts
  • name db/risten.no
  • update the Changes document
  • follow-up on some Polderland-related bugs: 621, 630, 652
  • InDesign documentation
  • make a test-all target that runs all tests we have (with Trond and Ciprian)
  • define and document testing routines (with Trond and Ciprian)
  • write leaflet text
  • continue the dictionary infrastructure discussion (with Ciprian, Trond)
  • make make target for MS Office 2008 spellers
  • fix bugs!

Thomas

  • look at test cases still not behaving properly
  • translate leaflet text
  • get updated list of Norwegian-Sámi name-pairs from Statens Kartverk
  • fix bugs!

Tomi

  • document how compounding is controlled in the PLX conversion
  • compile a new set of speller and hyphenator lexicons Thursday
  • run speller and hyphenator tests on Friday
  • translate Jovsset's e-mail into Finnish
  • fix double hyphen bugs
  • fix PL hyphenator errors
  • fix PL and Hunspell conversion bugs
  • fix bugs!

Trond

iCal

  • Hunspell QA README and installation docs
  • Dictionaries
  • continue the dictionary infrastructure discussion (with Ciprian, Sjur)
  • Text-to-speech
    • (Meeting to) improve the rule set
    • Technical issues on the ttt automata
  • fix bugs!.