UIT The arctic university of Norway > Giellatekno
 

Meeting_2008-05-26

Meeting setup

  • Date: 26.5.2008
  • Time: 09.30 Norw. time
  • Place: Internet
  • Tools: SubEthaEdit, iChat

Agenda

Cf. one of the following, depending on context:

  • the upper bar of the SEE window (provided you use the JSPWiki syntax mode)
  • the TOC in Forrest-rendered output, like HTML and PDF

Opening, agenda review, participants

Opened at 09: 54.

Present: Børre, Jovsset, Per-Eric, Sjur, Thomas, Tomi, Trond

Absent: none

Agenda accepted as is.

Updated task status since last meeting

Børre

  • Hunspell lexicon conversion
    • working sme and smj solutions
  • prepare migration to svn (with Sjur, Trond)
    • nothing new
  • release hunspell public beta during May (with Sjur)
    • we will make it
  • make a hunspell package that suits linux distributions
    • not done
  • try to repair G5 accounts for iCal Server
    • not done
  • make a test-all target that runs all tests we have
    • not done
  • define and document testing routines
    • not done
  • fix bugs!

Jovsset

  • follow up on sma corpus texts

Lene

  • get the ped content ready
  • Work on test routine with Trond and Sjur

Maaren

  • Put the list of possible sma corpus sources into a document

Per-Eric

  • try to find other authors who have smj texts digitaly.
    • Nothing done this week
  • Work with missing list from texts written by Sigga Tuolja Sandström.
    • Done
  • Work with missing list same_dutkama_pgr.txt
    • Workin with it
  • Work with missing list sameriekta_tjoahkkagæsos.txt
    • Nothing done yet
  • Plan a smj pr tour for our tools
    • Nothing done this week
  • Call Julie about my vacationdays (how many I have left)
    • Done
  • fix bugs!
    • Nothing done this week

Saara

  • add new XSL/XML headers for proofing test docs
  • Set up ways of adding meta-information for proofing correct corpus docs (source info, used in testing or not, added to lexicon or not)
  • implement the ped UI and functionality

Sjur

  • follow up on sma corpus texts
    • nothing
  • name db/risten.no
    • nothing
  • make an improved sma project plan
    • nothing
  • publish corpus contracts and project infra as open-source on NoDaLi-sta
    • nothing
  • prepare migration to svn (with Børre, Trond)
    • nothing
  • release hunspell public beta at the end of May (with Børre)
    • will evaluate test results for latest speller lexicons
  • update the Changes document
    • nothing
  • follow-up on some Polderland-related bugs: 621, 630, 652, 656
    • discussed briefly with Polderland - awaiting feedback on 656
  • InDesign documentation
    • nothing
  • add CG regression test with Lene and Trond
    • added to Makefile
  • make a test-all target that runs all tests we have
    • not yet
  • define and document testing routines
    • started to write the documentation
  • sma linguist
    • sent draft of position announcement to Julie
  • test latest hyphenator lexicons
    • done
  • fix bugs!
  • other things:
    • corrected some small bugs in the speller test bench
    • looked a bit more on dictionary app on Windows, and conversion to XDXF
    • tested dictionary apps from Polderland

Thomas

  • look at test cases still not behaving properly
    • some done
  • review hunspell lexicon branch with Børre
    • finished as far as I can see
  • fix bugs!
    • some done

Tomi

  • Hunspell lexicon conversion
    • nothing
  • make a hunspell package that suits linux distributions
    • not done
  • document how compounding is controlled in the PLX conversion
    • not done
  • fix double hyphen bugs
    • looked at this one
  • Make a pedagogical speller
    • not done
  • fix bugs!

Trond

  • Help Jovsset with vislcg3 and sma
    • Not done, J. seems to never be around, but is there an iChat problem here?
  • Set up Jabber for Lene, Kimme, Saara
    • Awaiting machine problems for Lene and Saara
  • Prepare svn migration (with Sjur, Børre)
    • No progress
  • Work on test routine with Lene and Sjur
    • Worked on this one: routine included in Makefile, and documentation started.
  • make a test-all target that runs all tests we have
    • We are still not that far.
  • define and document testing routines
    • Documents started.
  • Dictionaries
    • Progress on several fronts:
    • Missing Jernsletten words about to be included in smenob.xml (there were fewer of them than anticipated, appr. 90 words, most of them without direct translation in Jernsletten, the file in question is Jernsletten_not_smenob.txt
    • Extracted all Norwegian translations, ran them through two nob transducers and the MS nob spellchecker, the remaining red lines I am about to go through (file Norwegian_typoslist.txt)
    • Also worked on komi-JMR, swefit and fkvnob, actually.
    • Did refinements on the documentation. We now await green light from SD.
  • fix bugs!.

Pedagogical software online

Meeting memos can be found at http://giellatekno.uit.no/ped/index.html#Meeting+memos

Progress:

  • /oahpa/morfa/ (sme)
  • /oahpa/leksa/ (sme)
  • /oahpa/logut/ (sme, smj, sma, smn!)

We have working beta versions on morphology (morfa), vocabulary (leksa) and numerals (logut).

The urls are not published yet, they are still unstable (Saara takes them down on irregular intervals in order to improve it, but they are actually working. The morfa drill now works only in a "for lingusts" version, we will give a further option with linguistic clues. Also the interface language optionality is not quite working yet.

Goal for the Hattfjelldal meeting: Have a sma morfa game ready for the verbs in the Verbh book

TODO:

  • get the content ready (Lene)
  • implement the UI and functionality (Saara)
  • get an easy-to-remember URL (UiT/IT)
  • More thorough skin, layout, ... (External person within the Ped team, Internal forrest expert) This we will postponed until later
  • Make a pedagogical speller (Tomi when finished with his MA thesis)
    • Turn off peripheral compounds (numbers, acros, perhaps names)
    • Increase editing distance by one for suggestions? Only possible with limited compounding

Documentation

TODO:

  • start to reorganise the documentation (Børre, Sjur, Trond)

Corpus gathering

Trond has received two Turi texts (Muitalus+), and will add them.

TODO:

  • follow up on sma corpus texts (Sjur, Jovsset)
  • follow-up on the smj texts from Kurt Tore ( Per-Eric)
  • other contacts: Nord-Salten avis (Børge Strandskog), Lena Davidsson daughter to Lars-Matto Tuolja
  • Put the list of possible corpus sources into a document gt/doc/lang/sma/sma-corpus-plan.jspwiki ( Maaren)
  • give contract with blank fields to Per-Eric ( Børre)
  • plan a smj pr tour for our tools (Per-Eric, Thomas)

Future plans, directions and ideas

See a separate document in plan/strat/5year.jspwiki.

Infrastructure

To accomodate future enhancements in different directions (in rough order of importance):

  1. test bench for all parts of our language technology efforts
  2. migrate to svn
  3. merge gt, kt and st into one, probably after the svn move
  4. more modularised make / build infra (prepare for smn, sms, sjd, others)
  5. close certain parts of the code repository (requires svn)
  6. set up the Leopard Server features for collaborative support:
    1. permanent chat rooms
    2. stored (and indexed) chat transcripts of the chat rooms
    3. iCal server / group calendars
    4. wiki
  7. wiki? (is part of Leopard Server) or other web-based documentation
  8. improve Forrest stability and i18n support
  9. reorganise the documentation content:
    1. differ between target groups
    2. get better grouping
    3. decide what to write in forrest and what in wiki (cf. Apertium for a similar split)
    4. update/add missing parts
  10. migrate lexicons to XML, splitting the task
    1. Name lexica (the Name project)
    2. Dictionaries (already in XML, task is to integrate them)
    3. Open POSes (Komi as a test case)
  11. change the look of the documentation web
  12. sfst? Both as replacement for xfst and for hunspell/open-source proofing tools
  13. investigate the NSIS installer, potentially replacing the InstallShield package from Polderland
  14. corpus content moved to Max Planck repositories?

TODO:

  • add CG regression test (Lene, Sjur, Trond)
    • done, at least a reasonable start.
  • make a test-all target that runs all tests we have (Børre, Sjur, Trond)
    • not yet - depends on the prevous point
  • define and document testing routines (Børre, Sjur, Trond)
    • started
  • add Jabber account in iChat
    • UiT: Lene, Kimme, Saara (Trond)
  • prepare migration to svn (Børre, Sjur, Trond)
    • https access is now working. svn checkout https: //victorio.uit.no/repos
  • try to repair G5 accounts for iCal Server (Børre)

Linguistics

North Sámi

(nothing new, see proofing bugs below)

Lule Sámi

(nothing new, see proofing bugs below)

TODO:

  • sme->smj lexicon conversion to build bilingual lexicon resources, and increase smj coverage (Trond, Svenne).
  • Add the words when all words are ready.

South Sámi

Jovsset will ask the authors whether we can get a copy of the Verbh manuscript in electronic version, with the usual corpus contract.

Name lexicon/risten.no infrastructure

TODO:

  1. fix i18n bug in risten.no/G5 (so they will work without the proper locale request) (Sjur)
  2. fix bugs in lexc2xml; add comments to the log element (Saara)
  3. finish first version of the editing (Sjur)
  4. test editing of the xml files. If ok, then: ( Sjur, Thomas, Trond)
  5. make terms-smX.xml <=== automatically from propernoun-sme-lex.xml (add nob as well) (the morphological section should be kept intact, in e.g. propernoun-sme-morph.txt) (Sjur, Saara)
  6. convert propernoun-($lang)-lex.txt to a derived file from common xml files ( Sjur, Tomi, Saara)
  7. implement data synchronisation between risten.no and the cvs repo, and possibly other servers (ie the G5 as an alternative server to the public risten.no - it might be faster and better suited than the official one; also local installations could be treated the same way)
  8. start to use the xml file as source file
  9. clean terms-sme.xml such that all names have the correct tag for their use (e.g. @type=secondary) (Thomas, Maaren, linguists)
  10. merge placenames which are errouneously in different entries: e.g. Helsinki, Helsingfors, Helsset (linguists)
  11. publish the name lexicon on risten.no (Sjur)
  12. add missing parallel names for placenames (linguists)
  13. add informative links between first names like Niillas and Nils ( linguists)

Dictionaries

Updated version now available at the Divvun download area http://www.divvun.no/static_files/sme-nob-dict.zip.

What we have works, content-wise and technically, for Mac OS 10.5. Technically, the challenge now is to port it to other OS-es, and generalise the infrastructure to make it easy to add new dictionaries without doubling the infrastructure components.

The linguistic challenges are:

  • Compounds (must be lexicalised)
  • Derivations (must be lexicalised)
  • Better coverage (the words/dicts/smenob/src/inc-* files)
  • Better dictionary aricles

As for the last point, we are considering a dictionary workshop next winter. But we will then need lexicographers, and routines for using our tools and parallel corpora for finding dictionary examples.

TODO:

  • clean up and generalise the make infrastructure
  • make Linux and Windows versions
  • make simple installer applications
  • make a public release
    • Make a homepage with instructions for dictionary use: xtdoc/gtuit/src/documentation/content/xdocs/dict.eng.xml
    • Clarify the difference between local and online dictionaries:
      • Plugin for Firefox and Internet Explorer (online dictionaries)
      • Integrated dictionary for Mac 10.5 (local ones), in the future also Windows and Linux

Proofing tools

Hunspell

Latest test results now committed and linked to.

Børre is working on the conversion.

sme.dic 12MB
sme.aff 873kB
smj.dic 17MB
smj.aff 484kB

These files are in 129.242.220.111 /Users/boerre/gt/tmp http: //divvun.no/static_files/hunspell-se-2008-05-23.zip

Installation (needs the last version of OpenOffice.org 2.4)

Under linux the files se.dic and se.aff must be copied to /usr/share/myspell/dicts/

In OS X the folder is /Applications/OpenOffice.org.app/Contents/share/dict/ooo/

Then these lines should be added to the following file:

in Linux: /usr/share/myspell/dicts/dictionary.lst

in Mac: /Applications/OpenOffice.org.app/Contents/share/dict/ooo/dictionary.lst

DICT se NO se
DICT se SE se
DICT se FI se
DICT smj NO smj
DICT smj SE smj

TODO:

  1. add smj to the soup, make sure it works roughly as good as sme
    1. added, needs to be tested
      1. both sme and smj need to be tested now using Gold Standard tests (Sjur)
  2. make a proper Linux distro (Børre, Tomi)
  3. give test Linux distro to Petter Reinholdtsen on Wednesday (Børre, Sjur)
  4. look into other distro's as well: Mac, Windows (Børre, Sjur, ...)
  5. write README file, it should say BETA (Børre, Sjur)
  6. write installation and usage instructions (online, and in distro) ( Børre, Sjur)
  7. QA README and installation docs (Trond, Per-Eric)
  8. translate readme, installation docu (all)
  9. release a public beta at the end of May (Børre, Sjur)
  10. fix the remaining conversion bugs (Børre, Tomi)

Testing

Spelling Error Markup

TODO:

  • Set up ways of adding meta-information (source info, used in testing or not, added to lexicon or not) (Saara)
  • test new and nested error markup (Sjur)

Speller bugs

List of bugs returned from Polderland: 621, 630, 652, 656, 676.

Open issues based on test results:

sme

Version: Davvisámi, version 1.0.1, 2008-04-01

  • 425 - other words from Divvun.no - FIXED
  • 426 - comp words from Divvun.no - guoktedássásaš accepted - still OPEN
  • 435 - roman numbers - inflection of single letter numbers rejected, as well as some complex numbers (but is ok in smj) - still OPEN
    • we should pregenerate all numbers once and for all, and store them in a separate lexicon file
  • 452 - several lexical bugs - oažžuin + ožžuin - FIXED
  • 595 - prefix+name wihtout hyphen (ovdaLot instead of ovda-Lot) - still OPEN
  • 600 - gen+hyph compound sámi-dáru - still OPEN
  • 603 - suomabealdi accepted - still OPEN
  • 606 - speller accepts VUOHTA compound - still OPEN
  • 607 - acro + hyphen - FIXED
    • NRKGA is acro + clitic accepted without colon - what is correct?
  • 611 - double hyphen sugg still accepted - still OPEN
  • 613 - short gen. as second compound part - still OPEN
  • 619 - numerals and pronouns to NAMÁK and SASJ fails - still OPEN
  • 627 - prefix + hyhpen does not get accepted - still OPEN
  • 629 - a taking part in compounding without hyphen - still OPEN
  • 634 - PropGen+hyph+PropGen - still OPEN
  • 641 - numeral+noun compounds - still OPEN
  • 642 - noun/adj/proper + hyphen + ain - still OPEN
  • 644 - cased numeral+numeral compund - still OPEN
  • 646 - adverb + hyphen + noun - still OPEN
  • 647 - numerals+NOUN - still OPEN
  • 648 - unmotivated suggestions with numeral+noun - still OPEN
  • 649 - name + adj compound without hyphen - still OPEN
  • 654 - speller does not recognize ordinals on -nuppelogát - still OPEN
  • 655 - pron + nai - still OPEN
  • 658 - Suggestion saame - still OPEN
  • 665 - adverb superlatives; dieppimus, doppimus - FIXED
  • 666 - guovtte- and njealje- - NEW
  • 668 - caseforms, ordinals and collectives - FIXED
  • 676 - triple-hyphen - FIXED

smj

Version: Julevsáme, version 1.0.1, 2008-04-01

  • 435 - roman number - single letter numbers now recognised
    • we should pregenerate all numbers once and for all, and store them in a separate lexicon file
    • please note that inflection of single letter numerals is fine in smj, as opposed to sme
  • 595 - prefix+name wihtout hyphen (tsåhkeLot instead of tsåhke-Lot) - still OPEN
  • 599 - REGRESSION: numeral attr: s on lot
  • 600 - gen+hyph compound sáme-dáro - still OPEN
  • 607 - acro + hyphen - FIXED
    • NRKGA is acro + clitic accepted without colon - what is correct?
  • 616 - Bispadime-me-ráden - still OPEN, try to find an acro or abbr me
  • 619 - numerals and pronouns to NAMÁK and SASJ fails - still OPEN
  • 629 - a taking part in compound - still OPEN
  • 634 - rop gen + hyphen + Prop gen - still OPEN
  • 641 - numeral+noun compounds - still OPEN
  • 644 - cased numeral+numeral compund - still OPEN
  • 647 - numerals+NOUN - still OPEN
  • 648 - unmotivated suggestions with numeral+noun - still OPEN
  • 649 - name + adj compound without hyphen - still OPEN
  • 650 - noun prefix+name compound without hyphen - still OPEN
  • 658 - Suggestion saame - still OPEN
  • 668 - caseforms, ordinals and collectives - FIXED

TODO:

  • compile new speller lexicons (Tomi)
    • done, please new compilations on Thursday afternoon
  • document how compounding is controlled in the PLX conversion (Tomi)

Hyphenator bugs

Open issues based on test results :

sme

Lexicon version: Davvisámi, version 1.0.1, 2008-04-01

  • 468 - REGRESSION: Márkomeanu
  • 547 - REGRESSION: hyphen in front of vowel: Lotnolasealáhusas
  • 548 - REGRESSION: mid syllable hyphenation: Háliidivččen
  • 549 - REGRESSION: division without hyph: Váccedettiin
  • 673 - adj-derivations: guovttenuppelotčoarvvagiin (the word is not rec.)
  • 677 - NEW: Wrongly hyphenated ending -danidja - invalid

smj

Lexicon version: Julevsáme, version 1.0.1, 2008-04-01

  • 545 - REGRESSION: bad hyphenation in compounds: åhpadusorganisásjåvnån (not recognised)
  • 546 - REGRESSION: obligatory hyph rules seem to work in facultative manner: organisásjåvnån (not recognised)
  • 547 - REGRESSION: hyphen in front of vowel: Jienastimnjuolgadusá and Orgánajs

TODO:

  • test latest hyphenator lexicons (Sjur)

InDesign tools

We have received the expected updates from Polderland.

Releases

TODO:

  • public hunspell beta - end of May
  • update the Changes document (Sjur)
  • InDesign documentation (Sjur)
    • Norwegian translation received from Davvi Girji
  • public 1.1 update of the Polderland-based tools towards end of May/beginning of June

Other

Trip to Hattfjelldal

We have been asked to move the meeting to Friday or Tuesday, but that isn't possible for us. The meeting will be held on Thursday June 12, as already announced.

TODO:

  • check with Lene ( Jovsset, Trond)
  • order hotel rooms (Jovsset, Sjur)
  • organise meeting room for project board meeting (Sjur)

Corpus contracts + open source

Now decided to wait until we have changed from cvs to svn.

Summer vacations

Who When
Børre 30/6-6/7, 21/7-3/8, 11/8-17/8
Jovsset ???
Per-Eric ???
Sjur ???
Tomi 16/6 - 4/8
Thomas 23/6 - 21 or 28/7
Trond 30/6 - 18/7, 28/7 - 1/8

Next meeting, closing

The next meeting is 2.6.2008, 9.30 Norwegian time.

The meeting was closed at 11: 15.

Appendix - task lists for the next five days

Boerre

iCal

  • prepare migration to svn (with Sjur, Trond)
  • release hunspell public beta during May (with Sjur)
  • make a hunspell package that suits linux distributions
  • try to repair G5 accounts for iCal Server
  • make a test-all target that runs all tests we have
  • define and document testing routines
  • give test Linux distro to Petter Reinholdtsen on Wednesday
  • look into other distro's as well: Mac, Windows
  • write README file, it should say BETA
  • write installation and usage instructions (online, and in distro)
  • fix the remaining hunspell conversion bugs
  • fix bugs!

Jovsset

  • follow up on sma corpus texts
  • Talk to the students at Uppsala University about the Verbh book and the copyrights.
  • check Hattfjelldal trip with Lene
  • order hotel rooms for the Hattfjelldal trip

Lene

  • get the ped content ready
  • Work on test routine with Trond and Sjur

Per-Eric

iCal

  • try to find other authors who have smj texts digitaly.
  • Work with missing list same_dutkama_pgr.txt
  • Work with missing list sameriekta_tjoahkkagæsos.txt
  • Plan a smj pr tour for our tools
  • fix bugs!

Saara

  • add new XSL/XML headers for proofing test docs
  • Set up ways of adding meta-information for proofing correct corpus docs (source info, used in testing or not, added to lexicon or not)
  • implement the ped UI and functionality

Sjur

iCal

  • follow up on sma corpus texts
  • name db/risten.no
  • make an improved sma project plan
  • prepare migration to svn (with Børre, Trond)
  • release hunspell public beta at the end of May (with Børre)
  • update the Changes document
  • follow-up on some Polderland-related bugs: 621, 630, 652, 656
  • InDesign documentation
  • make a test-all target that runs all tests we have
  • define and document testing routines
  • test sme and smj hunspell lexicons using Gold Standard tests
  • give test Linux distro to Petter Reinholdtsen on Wednesday
  • look into other distro's as well: Mac, Windows
  • write README file, it should say BETA
  • write installation and usage instructions (online, and in distro)
  • order hotel rooms for the Hattfjelldal/board meeting trip
  • organise meeting room for project board meeting
  • fix bugs!

Thomas

iCal

  • look at test cases still not behaving properly
  • fix bugs!

Tomi

iCal

  • make a hunspell package that suits linux distributions
  • document how compounding is controlled in the PLX conversion
  • fix double hyphen bugs
  • Make a pedagogical speller
  • fix the remaining hunspell conversion bugs
  • fix bugs!

Trond

iCal

  • Help Jovsset with vislcg3 and sma
  • Set up Jabber for Lene, Kimme, Saara
  • Prepare svn migration (with Sjur, Børre)
  • make a test-all target that runs all tests we have
  • define and document testing routines
  • Dictionaries
  • check Hattfjelldal trip with Lene
  • fix bugs!.