UIT The arctic university of Norway > Giellatekno
 

Meeting_2008-04-15

Meeting setup

  • Date: 15.4.2008
  • Time: 12.30 Norw. time
  • Place: Internet
  • Tools: SubEthaEdit, iChat/Skype

Agenda

Cf. one of the following, depending on context:

  • the upper bar of the SEE window (provided you use the JSPWiki syntax mode)
  • the TOC in Forrest-rendered output, like HTML and PDF

Opening, agenda review, participants

Opened at 12: 59.

Present: Jovsset, Per-Eric, Sjur, Thomas, Tomi

Absent: Børre, Trond

Agenda accepted as is.

Updated task status since last meeting

Børre

  • Hunspell lexicon conversion
  • InDesign documentation
  • prepare migration to svn (with Sjur, Trond)
  • release hunspell public beta at the end of April (with Sjur)
  • fix bugs!

Lene

  • Ped project
  • Add a flag !^P^ for forms to be excluded from ped. speller

Maaren

  • Put the list of possible sma corpus sources into a document

Per-Eric

  • keep the contact with Kurt Tores family about his texts.
    • Nothing
  • try to find other authors who have smj texts digitaly, send them contracts
    • Working on it
  • Work with missing list from Tjaktjalasta, Lars-Matto Tuolja.
    • Done
  • Work with missing list from texts written by Sigga Tuolja Sandström.
    • Working with it
  • Keep the contact with Ulf-Stefan Winka who has many more smj texts to add.
    • Keeping contact
  • fix bugs!
    • Nothing done

Saara

  • add new XSL/XML headers for proofing test docs
  • Set up ways of adding meta-information for proofing correct corpus docs (source info, used in testing or not, added to lexicon or not)
  • discuss more parallel texts

Sjur

  • gather sma texts
    • got access to a site, not so much as expected
  • name db/risten.no
    • major work at bringing the new multi-iframe setup up on par with the old site regarding editing the SD-terms material. It should in principle be done now, but it needs more testing.
  • make an improved sma project plan
    • nothing new
  • publish corpus contracts and project infra as open-source on NoDaLi-sta
    • nothing new
  • prepare migration to svn (with Børre, Trond)
    • discussed with both, we wrote a short migration plan
  • add Jabber account in iChat for Svenne, Joseph
    • Joseph done, Svenne has not been online when I have been
  • release hunspell public beta at the end of April (with Børre)
    • waiting for a beta quality version of Divvun hunspell lexicons
  • update the Changes document
    • nothing new
  • discuss sma project public tender with Julie, as well as maintenance and support needs from Polderland
    • done briefly, will discuss more this week
  • follow-up on some Polderland-related bugs:
    • 621 - other hyphenator bugs => needs updated documentation
    • 630 - Word (prefix) with hyphen is rejected - and suggested => needs updated documentation
    • 652 - UPPERCASE-typos only get acronym-suggestions
    • 656 - User word list "gets full" (as reported by users)
    • for all, see discussions below
  • fix bugs!

Thomas

  • look at test cases still not behaving properly
    • not anything this week
  • Hunspell: add smj to the soup, make sure it works roughly as good as sme
    • Børre is working with it
  • fix bugs!
    • not anything this week

Tomi

  • Hunspell lexicon conversion
    • not done
  • document how compounding is controlled in the PLX conversion
    • not done
  • fix double hyphen bugs
    • not done
  • Make a pedagogical speller (after MA thesis is delivered)
    • not delivered yet
  • fix bugs!

Trond

  • Help Jovsset with vislcg3 and sma
  • Set up Jabber for Lene, Kimme, Saara
  • Prepare svn migration (with Sjur, Børre)
  • fix bugs!.

Pedagogical software online

TODO:

  • get an easy-to-remember URL (UiT/IT)
  • More thorough skin, layout, ... (External person within the Ped team, Internal forrest expert) This we will postponed until later
  • Make a pedagogical speller (Tomi when finished with his MA thesis)
    • Turn off peripheral compounds (numbers, acros, perhaps names)
    • Increase editing distance by one for suggestions? Only possible with limited compounding

Documentation

TODO:

  • start to reorganise the documentation (Børre, Sjur, Trond)

Corpus gathering

TODO:

  • follow-up on the smj texts from Kurt Tore ( Per-Eric)
  • get texts from Sigga Tuolja Sandstrøm, possibly through Ulf-Stefan Winka (contract is ok now) (Per-Eric)
  • other contacts: Nord-Salten avis (Børge Strandskog), Lena Davidsson daughter to Lars-Matto Tuolja
  • gather sma texts (Børre, Sjur, Trond, Joseph)
    • gathered text should be given to Børre
  • Put the list of possible corpus sources into a document gt/doc/lang/sma/sma-corpus-plan.jspwiki ( Maaren)
  • give contract with blank fields to Per-Eric ( Børre)

Future plans, directions and ideas

See a separate document in plan/strat/5year.jspwiki.

Infrastructure

To accomodate future enhancements in different directions (in rough order of importance):

  1. migrate to svn
  2. merge gt, kt and st into one, probably after the svn move
  3. more modularised make / build infra (prepare for smn, sms, sjd, others)
  4. close certain parts of the code repository (requires svn)
  5. set up the Leopard Server features for collaborative support:
    1. permanent chat rooms
    2. stored (and indexed) chat transcripts of the chat rooms
    3. iCal server / group calendars
    4. wiki
  6. wiki? (is part of Leopard Server) or other web-based documentation
  7. improve Forrest stability and i18n support
  8. reorganise the documentation content:
    1. differ between target groups
    2. get better grouping
    3. decide what to write in forrest and what in wiki (cf. Apertium for a similar split)
    4. update/add missing parts
  9. migrate lexicons to XML, splitting the task
    1. Name lexica (the Name project)
    2. Dictionaries (already in XML, task is to integrate them)
    3. Open POSes (Komi as a test case)
  10. change the look of the documentation web
  11. sfst? Both as replacement for xfst and for hunspell/open-source proofing tools
  12. investigate the NSIS installer, potentially replacing the InstallShield package from Polderland
  13. corpus content moved to Max Planck repositories?

TODO:

  • add Jabber account in iChat
    • check that all accounts are ready for iChat on the G5 (Børre)
    • UiT: Lene, Kimme, Saara (Trond)
    • SD: Svenne, Joseph (Sjur)
      • Joseph done
  • prepare migration to svn (Børre, Sjur, Trond)
    • there is a fairly robust python script available at the Subversion home page to do the conversion job

Linguistics

North Sámi

(nothing new, see proofing bugs below)

Lule Sámi

(nothing new, see proofing bugs below)

TODO:

  • sme->smj lexicon conversion to build bilingual lexicon resources, and increase smj coverage (Trond, Svenne).
  • Add the words when all words are ready.

South Sámi

Nothing new since last week.

Name lexicon infrastructure

TODO:

  1. fix i18n bug in risten.no/G5 (so they will work without the proper locale request) (Sjur)
  2. fix bugs in lexc2xml; add comments to the log element (Saara)
  3. finish first version of the editing (Sjur)
  4. test editing of the xml files. If ok, then: ( Sjur, Thomas, Trond)
  5. make terms-smX.xml <=== automatically from propernoun-sme-lex.xml (add nob as well) (the morphological section should be kept intact, in e.g. propernoun-sme-morph.txt) (Sjur, Saara)
  6. convert propernoun-($lang)-lex.txt to a derived file from common xml files ( Sjur, Tomi, Saara)
  7. implement data synchronisation between risten.no and the cvs repo, and possibly other servers (ie the G5 as an alternative server to the public risten.no - it might be faster and better suited than the official one; also local installations could be treated the same way)
  8. start to use the xml file as source file
  9. clean terms-sme.xml such that all names have the correct tag for their use (e.g. @type=secondary) (Thomas, Maaren, linguists)
  10. merge placenames which are errouneously in different entries: e.g. Helsinki, Helsingfors, Helsset (linguists)
  11. publish the name lexicon on risten.no (Sjur)
  12. add missing parallel names for placenames (linguists)
  13. add informative links between first names like Niillas and Nils ( linguists)

Proofing tools

Hunspell

Hunspell 1.2.2 released, several improvements and bug fixes. Hunspell 1.1.12 released as part of OOo 2.4.

TODO:

  1. add smj to the soup, make sure it works roughly as good as sme ( Børre, Thomas, Per-Eric)
    1. added to derivations, needs to be tested
  2. fix the remaining conversion bugs for sme ( Børre, Tomi)
  3. return to smj, and fix whatever is left to fix (Børre, Tomi)
  4. release a public beta at the end of April (Børre, Sjur)

Testing

Spelling Error Markup

TODO:

  • Set up ways of adding meta-information (source info, used in testing or not, added to lexicon or not) (Saara)
  • test new and nested error markup (Sjur)

Speller bugs

Open issues based on test results :

sme

Version: Davvisámi, version 1.0.1, 2008-04-01

  • 425 - REGRESSION: other words from Divvun.no - two words rejected
  • 426 - comp words from Divvun.no - guoktedássásaš accepted - still OPEN
  • 435 - roman numbers - REGRESSION: inflection of single letter numbers rejected (but is ok in smj)
    • we should pregenerate all numbers once and for all, and store them in a separate lexicon file
  • 452 - REGRESSION: several lexical bugs - oažžuin + ožžuin
  • 595 - prefix+name wihtout hyphen (ovdaLot instead of ovda-Lot) - still OPEN
  • 600 - gen+hyph compound sámi-dáru - still OPEN
  • 603 - suomabealdi accepted - still OPEN
  • 606 - speller accepts VUOHTA compound - still OPEN
  • 607 - acro + hyphen - still OPEN
    • NRKGA is acro + clitic accepted without colon - what is correct?
  • 611 - double hyphen sugg still accepted - still OPEN
  • 613 - short gen. as second compound part - still OPEN
  • 619 - numerals and pronouns to NAMÁK and SASJ fails - still OPEN
  • 627 - prefix + hyhpen does not get accepted - still OPEN
  • 629 - a taking part in compounding without hyphen - still OPEN
  • 634 - PropGen+hyph+PropGen - still OPEN
  • 641 - numeral+noun compounds - still OPEN
  • 642 - noun/adj/proper + hyphen + ain - still OPEN
  • 644 - cased numeral+numeral compund - still OPEN
  • 646 - adverb + hyphen + noun - still OPEN
  • 647 - numerals+NOUN - still OPEN
  • 648 - unmotivated suggestions with numeral+noun - still OPEN
  • 649 - name + adj compound without hyphen - still OPEN
  • 654 - speller does not recognize ordinals on -nuppelogát - still OPEN
  • 655 - pron + nai - still OPEN
  • 658 - Suggestion saame - still OPEN

smj

Version: Julevsáme, version 1.0.1, 2008-04-01

  • 435 - roman number - single letter numbers now recognised
    • we should pregenerate all numbers once and for all, and store them in a separate lexicon file
    • please note that inflection of single letter numerals is fine in smj, as opposed to sme
  • 595 - prefix+name wihtout hyphen (tsåhkeLot instead of tsåhke-Lot) - still OPEN
  • 600 - gen+hyph compound sáme-dáro - still OPEN
  • 607 - acro + hyphen
    • NRKGA is acro + clitic accepted without colon - what is correct?
  • 616 - Bispadime-me-ráden - still OPEN, try to find an acro or abbr me
  • 619 - numerals and pronouns to NAMÁK and SASJ fails - still OPEN
  • 629 - a taking part in compound - still OPEN
  • 634 - rop gen + hyphen + Prop gen - still OPEN
  • 641 - numeral+noun compounds - still OPEN
  • 644 - cased numeral+numeral compund - still OPEN
  • 647 - numerals+NOUN - still OPEN
  • 648 - unmotivated suggestions with numeral+noun - still OPEN
  • 649 - name + adj compound without hyphen - still OPEN
  • 650 - noun prefix+name compound without hyphen - still OPEN
  • 658 - Suggestion saame - still OPEN

TODO:

  • compile new speller lexicons (Tomi)
  • document how compounding is controlled in the PLX conversion (Tomi)

Hyphenator bugs

Open issues based on test results :

sme

Lexicon version: Davvisámi, version 1.0.1, 2008-04-01

  • 468 - REGRESSION: Márkomeanu
  • 547 - REGRESSION: hyphen in front of vowel: Lotnolasealáhusas
  • 548 - REGRESSION: mid syllable hyphenation: Háliidivččen
  • 549 - REGRESSION: division without hyph: Váccedettiin
  • 673 - adj-derivations: guovttenuppelotčoarvvagiin (the word is not rec.)
  • 677 - NEW: Wrongly hyphenated ending -danidja - invalid

smj

Lexicon version: Julevsáme, version 1.0.1, 2008-04-01

  • 545 - REGRESSION: bad hyphenation in compounds: åhpadusorganisásjåvnån (not recognised)
  • 546 - REGRESSION: obligatory hyph rules seem to work in facultative manner: organisásjåvnån (not recognised)
  • 547 - REGRESSION: hyphen in front of vowel: Jienastimnjuolgadusá and Orgánajs

InDesign tools

We're waiting for an update from Polderland.

Releases

TODO:

  • update the Changes document (Sjur)
  • documentation (Sjur)
    • Norwegian translation received from Davvi Girji

Other

Corpus contracts + open source

TODO:

  • publish corpus contracts and project infra as open-source on NoDaLi-sta ( Sjur)

Travel to Røros and Östersund

22-25. of April

Dates ok by:

  • Sjur
  • Jovsset

What about Lene?

Next meeting, closing

The next meeting is 21.4.2008.

The meeting was closed at 13: 26.

Appendix - task lists for the next five days

Boerre

iCal

  • Hunspell lexicon conversion
  • InDesign documentation
  • prepare migration to svn (with Sjur, Trond)
  • release hunspell public beta at the end of April (with Sjur)
  • fix bugs!

Lene

  • Ped project
  • Add a flag !^P^ for forms to be excluded from ped. speller

Maaren

  • Put the list of possible sma corpus sources into a document

Per-Eric

iCal

  • try to find other authors who have smj texts digitaly, send them contracts
  • Work with missing list from texts written by Sigga Tuolja Sandström.
  • Keep the contact with Ulf-Stefan Winka who has many more smj texts to add.
  • fix bugs!

Saara

  • add new XSL/XML headers for proofing test docs
  • Set up ways of adding meta-information for proofing correct corpus docs (source info, used in testing or not, added to lexicon or not)
  • discuss more parallel texts

Sjur

iCal

  • gather sma texts
  • name db/risten.no
  • make an improved sma project plan
  • publish corpus contracts and project infra as open-source on NoDaLi-sta
  • prepare migration to svn (with Børre, Trond)
  • add Jabber account in iChat for Svenne
  • release hunspell public beta at the end of April (with Børre)
  • update the Changes document
  • discuss sma project public tender with Julie, as well as maintenance and support needs from Polderland
  • follow-up on some Polderland-related bugs: 621, 630, 652, 656
  • fix bugs!

Thomas

iCal

  • look at test cases still not behaving properly
  • Hunspell: add smj to the soup, make sure it works roughly as good as sme
  • fix bugs!

Tomi

iCal

  • Hunspell lexicon conversion
  • document how compounding is controlled in the PLX conversion
  • fix double hyphen bugs
  • Make a pedagogical speller (after MA thesis is delivered)
  • fix bugs!

Trond

iCal

  • Help Jovsset with vislcg3 and sma
  • Set up Jabber for Lene, Kimme, Saara
  • Prepare svn migration (with Sjur, Børre)
  • fix bugs!.