UIT The arctic university of Norway > Giellatekno
 

Meeting_2008-03-03

Meeting setup

  • Date: 3.3.2008
  • Time: 09.30 Norw. time
  • Place: Internet
  • Tools: SubEthaEdit, iChat/Skype

Agenda

Cf. one of the following, depending on context:

  • the upper bar of the SEE window (provided you use the JSPWiki syntax mode)
  • the TOC in Forrest-rendered output, like HTML and PDF

Opening, agenda review, participants

Opened at 10: 30.

Present: Børre, Per-Eric, Sjur, Thomas, Tomi

Absent: Maaren, Trond

Agenda accepted as is.

Updated task status since last meeting

Børre

  • start to reorganise the documentation
    • not done
  • gather sma texts
    • not done
  • improve forrest stability with i18n, site look
    • fixed bug with pdf-generation
  • set up the Leopard Server features for collaborative support
    • not done
  • Hunspell lexicon conversion
    • nothing this week
  • investigate the NSIS installer
    • nothing done
  • work on Tromsø Sami workshop paper
    • prepared and dit the talk together with the others
  • fix bugs!

Lene

  • Ped project
  • work on Tromsø Sami workshop paper

Maaren

  • Put the list of possible sma corpus sources into a document
  • update the Changes document

Per-Eric

  • check some unusual and missing words from the last Olavi missing list
    • Done
  • keep the contact with Kurt Tores family about his texts.
    • Nothing
  • try to find other authors who have smj texts digitaly
    • Talked to Lena Davidsson who has copyright to Lars-Matto Tuoljas book Tjaktjalasta. It's okej to use the book and I am going to send her a contract as soon as possible.
  • fix bugs!
    • Nothing done

Saara

  • add new XSL/XML headers for proofing test docs
  • Set up ways of adding meta-information for proofing correct corpus docs (source info, used in testing or not, added to lexicon or not)
  • discuss more parallel texts

Sjur

  • start to reorganise the documentation
  • gather sma texts
  • improve forrest stability with i18n, site look
  • set up the Leopard Server features for collaborative support
  • name db/risten.no
    • some work (details only)
  • investigate the NSIS installer
  • make a first sma project plan
  • publish corpus contracts and project infra as open-source on NoDaLi-sta
  • work on Tromsø Sami workshop paper
    • done and presented
  • fix bugs!

Thomas

  • look at test cases still not behaving properly
  • fix bugs!

Tomi

  • Hunspell lexicon conversion
  • document how compounding is controlled in the PLX conversion
  • work on Tromsø Sami workshop paper
  • fix double hyphen bugs
  • fix bugs!

Trond

  • Reorganise documentation (with Børre and Sjur)
  • Gather sma texts (with Børre and Sjur)
  • Name lexicon project: Test editing xml files (when they are ready for it)
  • Work on sma analyser and visl integration
  • fix bugs!.

Pedagogical software online

TODO:

  • get an easy-to-remember URL (UiT/IT)
  • More thorough skin, layout, ... (External person within the Ped team, Internal forrest expert) This we will postpone until later

Workshop in Tromsø

Nice workshop, very informative, several potential projects discussed with multiple attendees. At first there will be a network initiative.

Documentation

TODO:

  • start to reorganise the documentation (Børre, Sjur, Trond)

Corpus gathering

TODO:

  • follow-up on the smj texts from Kurt Tore ( Per-Eric)
  • get texts from Sigga Tuolja Sandstrøm, possibly through Olavi Korhonen (contract is ok now) (Per-Eric)
  • other contacts: Nord-Salten avis, Børge Strandskog, Lena Davidsson daughter to Lars-Matto Tuolja
  • gather sma texts (Børre, Sjur, Trond, Joseph)
  • Put the list of possible corpus sources into a document gt/doc/lang/sma/sma-corpus-plan.jspwiki ( Maaren)
  • give contract with blank fields to Per-Eric ( Børre)

Infrastructure

TODO:

  • add Jabber account in iChat (all)
  • improve forrest stability with i18n, site look (Børre, Sjur, Tomi)
  • set up the Leopard Server features for collaborative support - permanent chat rooms, project calendar(s), wiki? (Børre, Sjur)

Linguistics

North Sámi

Hyphenation bugs still there, now properly documented by the improved test bench.

Lule Sámi

All missing lists now added. A few things missing from the bible texts.

Hyphenation: same as for sme.

TODO:

  • sme->smj lexicon conversion to build bilingual lexicon resources, and increase smj coverage (Trond, Svenne).
  • Add the words when all words are ready.

South Sámi

Tomi has added even more verbs. The corrections to Verbh are now added to the lexicon. Joseph is hunting for sma texts at SD.

TODO:

  • check the present sources (Sjur, Trond)
    • done

Name lexicon infrastructure

TODO:

  1. fix i18n bug in risten.no/G5 (so they will work without the proper locale request) (Sjur)
    1. it works ok locally, set-up / config needs to be checked on the G5; probably easy to fix
  2. fix display in column 3 (Sjur)
    1. it works in Firefox and other Mozilla-based browsers; not in Safari and other Webkit-based browsers
      1. fixed
  3. fix bugs in lexc2xml; add comments to the log element (Saara)
  4. finish first version of the editing (Sjur)
  5. test editing of the xml files. If ok, then: ( Sjur, Thomas, Trond)
  6. make terms-smX.xml <=== automatically from propernoun-sme-lex.xml (add nob as well) (the morphological section should be kept intact, in e.g. propernoun-sme-morph.txt) (Sjur, Saara)
  7. convert propernoun-($lang)-lex.txt to a derived file from common xml files ( Sjur, Tomi, Saara)
  8. implement data synchronisation between risten.no and the cvs repo, and possibly other servers (ie the G5 as an alternative server to the public risten.no - it might be faster and better suited than the official one; also local installations could be treated the same way)
  9. start to use the xml file as source file
  10. clean terms-sme.xml such that all names have the correct tag for their use (e.g. @type=secondary) (Thomas, Maaren, linguists)
  11. merge placenames which are errouneously in different entries: e.g. Helsinki, Helsingfors, Helsset (linguists)
  12. publish the name lexicon on risten.no (Sjur)
  13. add missing parallel names for placenames (linguists)
  14. add informative links between first names like Niillas and Nils ( linguists)

Proofing tools

Hunspell

The %> marker has been fixed, it was a bug in the homebuilt xml-parser. Derivations seem to work, but no new lexicons due to technical problems.

TODO:

  1. debug the missing > marker - the problem is on the Java side (Børre, Tomi)
  2. add smj to the soup, make sure it works roughly as good as sme
  3. fix the remaining conversion bugs for sme
  4. return to smj, and fix whatever is left to fix
  5. integrate the derivations as separate "continuation lexicons"

Testing

Spelling Error Markup

TODO:

  • Set up ways of adding meta-information (source info, used in testing or not, added to lexicon or not) (Saara)
  • test new and nested error markup (Sjur)

Speller bugs

Open issues based on test results :

sme

Version: Davvisámi, version 1.0.1, 2008-01-31

  • 425 - roman number - will not be fixed in 1.0 release - FIXED
  • 426 - comp words from Divvun.no - guoktedássásaš accepted - still open
  • 536 - speller accepts "impossible" compound-forms, geažideapmigárvu and giddesteapmisággi accepted - FIXED
  • 593 - missing words in beta2 - FIXED
  • 595 - prefix+name wihtout hyphen (ovdaLot instead of ovda-Lot)
  • 597 - does not recognize nubbelohki - FIXED
  • 603 - suomabealdi, norggabealdi accepted
  • 606 - speller accepts VUOHTA compound
  • 611 - double hyphen sugg still accepted
  • 613 - short gen. as second compound part
  • 619 - REGRESSION: - numerals and pronouns to NAMÁK and SASJ fails
  • 625 - word+footnote - possibly Polderland or MS, or a consequence of allowing spell checking of words including digits
  • 627 - prefix + hyhpen does not get accepted
  • 629 - a taking part in compounding without hyphen
  • 631 - numbers starting with 0 - FIXED
  • 633 - double hyphens accepted in Word, not by cmdline speller
  • 634 - PropGen+hyph+PropGen
  • 637 - nai(go) becomes -naj(go) - FIXED
  • 641 - umeral+noun compounds
  • 642 - noun/adj/proper + hyphen + ain

smj

Version: Julevsáme, version 1.0.1, 2008-01-31

  • 482 - Nuorttalijguovlojn accepted again
    • testcase changed, test PASSED
  • 607 - acro + hyphen, NRKGA accepted - test pair is wrong, should be corr.
  • 615 - actio and actor compounds - FIXED
  • 616 - Bispadime-me-ráden - still OPEN
  • 618 - dipht. simpl. - FIXED
  • 619 - REGRESSION: - numerals and pronouns to NAMÁK and SASJ fails
  • 629 - a taking part in compound - still OPEN
  • 631 - number compounds starting with 0 - FIXED
  • 634 - rop gen + hyphen + Prop gen
  • 641 - umeral+noun compounds

TODO:

  • look at test cases still not behaving properly (Thomas, Tomi)
  • document how compounding is controlled in the PLX conversion (Tomi)

Hyphenator bugs

Open issues based on test results :

sme

  • 468 - Márkomenau -> Polderland
  • 548 - duostan -> Polderland
  • 549 - missing hyph at word boundary -> Polderland
  • 633 - extra hyphen inserted -> Polderland

smj

  • 549 - missing hyph at word boundary -> Polderland
  • 633 - extra hyphen inserted -> Polderland
  • 636 - hyphen before last char -> Polderland

InDesign tools

Near-final tools were released on Friday, Feb. 1, including working user dictionary functionality.

TODO:

  • fix double hyphen bugs (Tomi)

Windows installer

TODO:

  • investigate the NSIS installer (Børre, Sjur)

Releases

TODO:

  • update the Changes document (Maaren)
  • documentation (Sjur)
    • Norwegian translation received from Davvi Girji

Other

Corpus contracts + open source

TODO:

  • publish corpus contracts and project infra as open-source on NoDaLi-sta ( Sjur)

Easter vacation

Week 12, 20-24.3.

Name Period
Børre 10.-16.3. (winter holidays)
Sjur 18.-24.3
Jovsset 17.-24.3.
Maaren 19.-24.3.
Per-Eric ???

Next meeting, closing

The next meeting is 10.3.2008, but will potentially be delayed till Wednesday. E-mail coming.

The meeting was closed at 11: 25.

Appendix - task lists for the next five days

Boerre

iCal

  • start to reorganise the documentation
  • gather sma texts
  • improve forrest stability with i18n, site look
  • set up the Leopard Server features for collaborative support
  • Hunspell lexicon conversion
  • InDesign documentation
  • investigate the NSIS installer
  • give contract with blank fields to Per-Eric
  • fix bugs!

Lene

  • Ped project

Maaren

iCal

  • Put the list of possible sma corpus sources into a document
  • update the Changes document

Per-Eric

iCal

  • keep the contact with Kurt Tores family about his texts.
  • try to find other authors who have smj texts digitaly, send contracts to them
  • Work with a few things missing from the bible texts.

Saara

iCal

  • add new XSL/XML headers for proofing test docs
  • Set up ways of adding meta-information for proofing correct corpus docs (source info, used in testing or not, added to lexicon or not)
  • discuss more parallel texts

Sjur

iCal

  • start to reorganise the documentation
  • gather sma texts
  • improve forrest stability with i18n, site look
  • set up the Leopard Server features for collaborative support
  • name db/risten.no
  • investigate the NSIS installer
  • make a first sma project plan
  • publish corpus contracts and project infra as open-source on NoDaLi-sta
  • call Julie Eira about Maaren's share of the Divvun project
  • prepare Trondheim presentation
  • fix bugs!

Thomas

iCal

  • look at test cases still not behaving properly
  • fix bugs!

Tomi

iCal

  • Hunspell lexicon conversion
  • document how compounding is controlled in the PLX conversion
  • fix double hyphen bugs
  • fix bugs!

Trond

iCal

  • Reorganise documentation (with Børre and Sjur)
  • Gather sma texts (with Børre and Sjur)
  • Name lexicon project: Test editing xml files (when they are ready for it)
  • Work on sma analyser and visl integration
  • fix bugs!.