UIT, The arctic university of Norway > Giellatekno
 

Meeting_2007-01-29

Meeting setup

  • Date: 29.01.2007
  • Time: 09.00 Norw. time
  • Place: Internet
  • Tools: SubEthaEdit, iChat

Agenda

  1. Opening, agenda review
  2. Reviewing the task list from last week
  3. Documentation - divvun.no
  4. Corpus gathering
  5. Corpus infrastructure
  6. Infrastructure
  7. Linguistics
  8. name lexicon infrastructure
  9. Spellers
  10. Other issues
  11. Summary, task lists
  12. Closing

1. Opening, agenda review, participants

Opened at 10: 10.

Present: Børre, Sjur, Steinar, Thomas, Tomi, Trond

Absent: Maaren, Saara

Agenda accepted as is.

2. Updated task status since last meeting

Børre

  • send smj translations to Polderland
    • not done
  • write form to request corpus user account
    • not done
  • document how to apply for access to closed corpus, and details on the corpus and its use in general
    • not done
  • add short description on our front page on anonymous cvs and corpus access, with links to relevant documentation
    • not done
  • update and fix our documentation and infrastructure as Steinar finds problem areas
    • not done
  • continue work on script for automatic testing of the spell checker in Word
    • not done
  • fix sme texts in corpus this month
    • not done
  • find missing nob parallel texts in corpus
    • not done
  • translate Windows installer text to sme
    • some done
  • work on the Polderland data generation (PLX format conversion)
    • Concentrate on compounding
      • compounds done
      • some done on numerals
  • go through other directories, fix parallellity information for other documents
    • not done
  • add sma texts to the corpus repository
    • not done
  • order Intel Macs
    • done
  • fix bugs!
    • not done

Maaren

  • tasks according to Thomas

Saara

  • fix sme texts in corpus this month
    • done character issues and msword doc table formatting
  • send aligned, xml nob texts to Kristen
    • done
  • fix problems with xml2lexc if needed
  • check the problem with pdf-conversion cutting wordforms.
    • in progress
  • fix bugs!

Sjur

  • name lexicon:
    • restructure interface code for easier maintenance, coding and use
      • a lot of work, but still moving too slowly forward - probably need help with this (Tomi?)
    • refactor the rest of the SD-terms editor code
    • implement missing propnouns editing functions
    • implement improvements decided upon in Tromsø
  • hire linguist and programmer
    • the candidate for the linguist position I contacted, has answered. He is very interested, and can start April 1.
  • publish corpus contracts and project infra on NoDaLi-sta
    • not done
  • fix stuorra-oslolaš lower case o
    • not done
  • write form to request corpus user account
    • not done
  • document how to apply for access to closed corpus, and details on the corpus and its use in general
    • not done
  • fix bugs!

Steinar

  • test our infrastructure and documentation - follow the documentation exactly, and find problem areas - report problems to Børre. Start: At the front page.
    • not done, waiting for a necessary update of our front page og the web site
  • Complete the semantic sets in sme-dis.rle
    • worked with verbal sets and bird names
  • missing lists
    • not done
  • report conversion errors to Saara
    • not done
  • Look at the actio compound issue when adding from missing lists
    • not done
  • lexicalise actio compounds. Example: vuolggasadji vs. vuolginsadji
    • not done
  • Go through the Num bugs
    • not done
  • fix bugs!

Thomas

  • refine smj proper noun lexica, cf. the propernoun-smj-lex.txt
    • not this week either
  • work with compounding
    • awaiting answer from Polder
  • lexicalise actio compounds
    • redirected to Maaren
  • Lack of lowering before hyphen: Twol rewrite.
    • not this week either
  • Go through the Num bugs
    • begun
  • fix stuorra-oslolaš lower case o
    • not this week either
  • implement discontinous case inflection for numbers
    • done smj
  • produce correct number base forms in the analyzer
    • done smj
  • fix bugs!
    • not this week

Tomi

  • add compound stems to the PLX generation
    • done
  • include numerals in the speller
    • cardinals done?
  • add prefixes to the PLX
    • not done
  • add smj to PLX conversion
    • not done
  • add derivations to the PLX generation
    • not done
  • fix bugs!

Trond

  • update the smj proper noun lexicon, and refine the morphological analysis, cf. the propernoun-smj-lex.txt
    • No smj yet.
  • fix sme texts in corpus this month
    • Discussed with Saara and Ilona.
  • find missing nob parallel texts in corpus, go through Saara's list
    • Not done.
  • report conversion errors to Saara
    • Not done.
  • Go through the Num bugs
    • Not done.
  • Make numeral testbed for smj as well
    • Done.
  • Get input on sma hyphenations
    • Done. Improved version is checked in.
  • implement discontinous case inflection for numbers
    • Not done.
  • produce correct number base forms in the analyzer
    • Not done.
  • write form to request corpus user account
    • Not done.
  • document how to apply for access to closed corpus, and details on the corpus and its use in general
    • Not done.
  • fix bugs!.
    • Done some.

3. Documentation

Nothing done last week.

TODO:

  • write form to request corpus user account (Børre, Sjur, Trond)
  • document how to apply for access to closed corpus, and details on the corpus and its use in general (Børre, Sjur, Trond)
  • add short description on our front page on anonymous cvs and corpus access, with links to relevant documentation (Børre)

4. Corpus gathering

Nothing new. We need to work systematically on filling our corpus holes, although not this and the next month.

TODO:

  • sme texts: no new additions, fix corpus errors during this month ( Børre, Trond, Saara)
  • missing nob parallel texts should be added if such holes are found ( Børre, Trond)
  • Go through the list of missing or errouneous nob texts, based upon Saara's perfect list (Børre, Trond)
  • add sma texts to the corpus repository (Børre)

5. Corpus infrastructure

Alignment

TODO:

  • go through other directories (nob dicrectories, sd directories), fix parallellity information for other documents (2 hours) ( Børre)
  • when aligned, send aligned, xml nob texts to Kristin ( Saara)
    • done

Conversion issues

TODO:

  • report conversion errors to Saara ( Trond, Steinar)
  • Have a look at the two suggestions for pdf discussed in the previous meeting (Saara)
    • implemented replacement of r vv with rvv. The source of the error is in pdf-conversion, where the space between r and double v is falsely interpreted as space-mark. This concerns only one document and only r and double v.
      • Comment: any initial double consonant is an indication of a space too much (no initial geminates in Sámi).
    • The hyphens in page breaks are now replaced with <hyph/>, although I'm still testing it.

6. Infrastructure

Nothing happened last week.

TODO:

  • test our infrastructure and documentation - follow the documentation exactly, and find problem areas - report problems to Børre. Start: At the front page. (Steinar)
  • update and fix our documentation and infrastructure as Steinar finds problem areas (Børre)

7. Linguistics

North Sámi

Maaren is now working on lexicalising the actio compounds.

TODO:

  • lexicalise actio compounds. Example: vuolggasadji vs. vuolginsadji ( Thomas, Maaren, Steinar)
  • fix stuorra-oslolaš lower case o ( Sjur, Thomas, Trond)

Numbers:

TODO:

  • discontinous case inflection (but only for maximally three-part compound numerals) (viđain/goalmmát/logiin and guvttiin/logiin/viđain) ( Thomas, Trond)
    • done smj
  • produce correct number base forms in the analyzer (Thomas, Trond)
    • done smj
  • Go through the Num bugs (Trond, Thomas, Steinar)
    • done smj one bug #372
  • Preprocessing of ordinals at the end of sentences - reported as bug #368. ( Trond)

Hyphenation problem

TODO:

  • ask Ove Lorentz to report on our sma hyphenator (Trond)
    •  Done. Still minor problems with handling of all-caps forms, but otherwise ok.

Lule Sámi

TODO:

  • refine smj proper noun lexica, cf. the propernoun-smj-lex.txt ( Thomas, Trond)
  • Lack of lowering/fronting before hyphen: Twol rewrite. (Thomas, Trond)
  • Set up a test bed for numerals, test and revise (Trond)
    • done
  • also done: numbers

8. Name lexicon infrastructure

Decisions made in Tromsø can be found in the meeting memo.

Postponed:

  • data synchronisation between risten.no and the cvs repo

TODO:

  1. restructure interface code for easier maintenance, coding and use
    1. well under way, still some work
  2. finish first version of the editing (Sjur)
  3. test editing of the xml files. If ok, then: ( Sjur, Thomas, Trond)
  4. make terms-smX.xml <=== automatically from propernoun-sme-lex.xml (add nob as well) (the morphological section should be kept intact, in e.g. propernoun-sme-morph.txt) (Sjur, Saara)
  5. convert propernoun-($lang)-lex.txt to a derived file from common xml files ( Sjur, Tomi, Saara)
  6. start to use the xml file as source file
  7. clean terms-sme.xml such that all names have the correct tag for their use (e.g. @type=secondary) (Thomas, Maaren, linguists)
  8. merge placenames which are errouneously in different entries: e.g. Helsinki, Helsingfors, Helsset (linguists)
  9. publish the name lexicon on risten.no (Sjur)
  10. add missing parallel names for placenames (linguists)
  11. add informative links between first names like Niillas and Nils ( linguists)

9. Spellers

Polderland data generation

TODO:

  1. add smj to PLX conversion (Børre, Tomi)
  2. Include numerals in the speller (Børre, Tomi)
    1. first version done, but needs more work
  3. add prefixes to the PLX (Børre, Tomi)
    1. not yet
  4. add derivations to the PLX generation (Børre, Tomi)

Aspell

TODO when the major part of the PLX conversion is done:

  • add Aspell/Hunspell data generation to the lexc2xspell (Tomi - after the PLX data generation is finished)
  • study Hunspell, perhaps also Soikko (Børre, Sjur, Tomi)

Testing

TODO:

  • get an Intel Mac for testing Windows spellers (Børre)
    • done

Localisation

TODO:

  • translate Windows installer text to sme ( Børre, Thomas)
    • some more done, roughly 50 % done
  • send smj translations to Polderland (Børre)
    • not yet

10. Other

Corpus contracts

TODO:

  • publish corpus contracts and project infra on NoDaLi-sta (Sjur)

Bug fixing

57 open Divvun/Disamb bugs, and 23 risten.no bugs

KUNSTI final meeting

Conference invitation can be found here.

http: //tinyurl.com/326lfy

8.-9. February (Thursday & Friday), Oslo. Thomas could present the morphological work, if he wants to.

11. Next meeting, closing

The next meeting is 5.2.2007, 09: 30 Norwegian time.

The meeting was closed at 11: 01.

Appendix - task lists for the next week

Boerre

iCal

  • send smj translations to Polderland
  • write form to request corpus user account
  • document how to apply for access to closed corpus, and details on the corpus and its use in general
  • add short description on our front page on anonymous cvs and corpus access, with links to relevant documentation
  • update and fix our documentation and infrastructure as Steinar finds problem areas
  • continue work on script for automatic testing of the spell checker in Word
  • fix sme texts in corpus this month
  • find missing nob parallel texts in corpus
  • translate Windows installer text to sme
  • work on the Polderland data generation (PLX format conversion)
    • Concentrate on compounding
  • go through other directories, fix parallellity information for other documents
  • add sma texts to the corpus repository
  • order Intel Macs
  • fix bugs!

Maaren

iCal

  • tasks according to Thomas

Saara

iCal

  • fix sme texts in corpus this month
  • continue aligning the rest of the parallel files
  • fix problems with xml2lexc if needed
  • fix bugs!

Sjur

iCal

  • name lexicon:
    • restructure interface code for easier maintenance, coding and use
    • refactor the rest of the SD-terms editor code
    • implement missing propnouns editing functions
    • implement improvements decided upon in Tromsø
  • hire linguist and programmer
  • publish corpus contracts and project infra on NoDaLi-sta
  • fix stuorra-oslolaš lower case o
  • write form to request corpus user account
  • document how to apply for access to closed corpus, and details on the corpus and its use in general
  • fix bugs!

Steinar

iCal

  • test our infrastructure and documentation - follow the documentation exactly, and find problem areas - report problems to Børre. Start: At the front page.
  • Complete the semantic sets in sme-dis.rle
  • missing lists
  • report conversion errors to Saara
  • Look at the actio compound issue when adding from missing lists
  • lexicalise actio compounds. Example: vuolggasadji vs. vuolginsadji
  • Go through the Num bugs
  • fix bugs!

Thomas

iCal

  • refine smj proper noun lexica, cf. the propernoun-smj-lex.txt
  • work with compounding
  • lexicalise actio compounds
  • Lack of lowering before hyphen: Twol rewrite.
  • Go through the Num bugs
  • fix stuorra-oslolaš lower case o
  • implement discontinous case inflection for numbers
  • produce correct number base forms in the analyzer
  • fix bugs!

Tomi

iCal

  • add compound stems to the PLX generation
  • include numerals in the speller
  • add prefixes to the PLX
  • add smj to PLX conversion
  • add derivations to the PLX generation
  • fix bugs!

Trond

iCal

  • update the smj proper noun lexicon, and refine the morphological analysis, cf. the propernoun-smj-lex.txt
  • fix sme texts in corpus this month
  • find missing nob parallel texts in corpus, go through Saara's list
  • report conversion errors to Saara
  • Go through the Num bugs
  • implement discontinous case inflection for numbers
  • produce correct number base forms in the analyzer
  • write form to request corpus user account
  • document how to apply for access to closed corpus, and details on the corpus and its use in general
  • Write project presentation
  • fix bugs!.