UIT The arctic university of Norway > Giellatekno
 

Meeting_2007-01-03

Meeting setup

  • Date: 03.01.2007
  • Time: 09.30 Norw. time
  • Place: Where we are
  • Tools: SubEthaEdit, iChat

Agenda

  1. Opening, agenda review
  2. Reviewing the task list from last week
  3. Documentation - divvun.no
  4. Corpus gathering
  5. Corpus infrastructure
  6. Infrastructure
  7. Linguistics
  8. name lexicon infrastructure
  9. Spellers
  10. Other issues
  11. Summary, task lists
  12. Closing

1. Opening, agenda review, participants

Opened at 10: 42.

Present: Børre, Saara, Sjur, Steinar, Thomas, Trond

Absent: Maaren, Tomi

Agenda accepted as is.

2. Updated task status since last meeting

Børre

  • contact authors who have already received the corpus licensing contract
    • not done
  • continue work on script for automatic testing of the spell checker in Word
    • not done
  • update setup and installation instructions for new users/computers
    • not done
  • create new forrest tarball
    • not done
  • cvs up of the public server should be done for xtdoc/sd/documentation/
    • not done
  • fix bugs!
    • not done
  • other:
    • fixed link errors in gtuit/doc

Maaren

  • investigate the generated word form list sent to Polderland - use the command make wordlist TARGET=sme in victorio

Saara

  • help Trond with some shell commands
  • re-analyze parallel files
    • done, aligner now works.
  • Move to Bugzilla: vislcg server-friendly as feature request to the vislcg devs
    • done
  • fix bugs!
    • done some

Sjur

  • name lexicon:
    • refactor SD-terms editor code
    • implement missing propnouns editing functions
    • implement improvements decided upon in Tromsø
      • started work on a refactor of some basic code, to allow greater flexibility, easier coding, and hopefully a better interface
  • hire linguist and programmer
  • decide how to specify compounding behaviour info in the lexicon
    • combinatorial behaviour decided; specification of form still not done
  • get an Intel Mac for testing Windows spellers
  • publish corpus contracts and project infra on NoDaLi-sta
  • fix forrest installations for Maaren, Disamb
  • fix bugs!

Thomas

  • refine smj proper noun lexica, cf. the propernoun-smj-lex.txt
    • we've begun
  • decide how to specify compounding behaviour info in the lexicon
    • on our way
  • go through the class of GAHPIR words, and try to generalise the compounding behaviour
    • done
  • change whatever is needed based on the above generalisation
    • done
  • fix bugs!
    • worked with bugs

Tomi

  • add closed POS and clitics to PLX generation
  • add derivations to the PLX generation
  • add compound stems to the PLX generation
  • fix bugs!

Trond

  • update the smj proper noun lexicon, and refine the morphological analysis, cf. the propernoun-smj-lex.txt
    • We have done some work on this.
  • Go through the GAHPIR lexicon (with Thomas)
    • Done
  • get more sma texts
    • No news.
  • decide how to specify compounding behaviour info in the lexicon
    • At least we worked on this, what was the final outcome again?
  • fix bugs!.
    • Done some work on bugs, closed a couple.

3. Documentation

TODO:

  • either fix forrest installations (Sjur), or create a new tarball ( Børre)
  • cvs up of the public server should be done for xtdoc/sd/documentation/ - notice the directory! (Børre)
  • update setup and installation instructions (Børre)

4. Corpus gathering

We should probably concentrate upon mending what we have, up to Febrary 8th.

Børre has been fixing the meta information for many files, adding info on parallel language versions.

TODO:

  • sme texts: Fix what we have for this month (Børre, Trond, Saara)
  • missing nob parallel texts could be an issue (Børre, Trond)

5. Corpus infrastructure

Aligner

The command line aligner is in place, and most(?)/all(?) potential texts are aligned.

TODO:

  • make an overview of status quo (Trond, Børre, Saara). Børre has added parallellity status to all admin/sd/ texts
  • gather more parallel texts (Trond, Børre)
    • not any more? (depends on what we are missing and how hard they are to get, but we will not put much time into it)
  • re-analyze parallel files using the command-line version (Saara)
    • progressing
  • when aligned, send aligned, xml nob texts to Lars ( Saara)

Conversion issues

Analysis statistics:

	words	missing	% recognised
adm	1493746	28967	98,06
bib	241233	2651	98,90
fac	382353	11371	97,03
fic	70601	7847	88,89
law	284700	6269	97,80
new	4032848	17134	99,58

There are still a lot of conversion errors, and fixing them should be a priority this month. Error types:

  • pdf files (there will always be some errors here)
  • string-string replacement during the xsl conversion
    • Conversion errors (but we want to fix the conversion)
    • typos (should be marked up using our error markup tags)
    • grammatical errors (as above)

So far, we only have had character replacement (even context-less character replacement). We can use XSL string replacement to correct spelling errors to constructs like, cf the corpus.dtd and a previous meeting memo :

<error correct="corrected text">erroneous text</error>

Either we use the function Trond found, or we install and use Saxon 8 and XSL 2, which have good string manipulation tools.

Flow:

  • orig
  • xsl
    • corr-of-textstring (not implemented yet) (we is > we are) (we keep the orig text, and the correction is added as additional info in an attribute, see above)
  • xml
  • preprocess
  • corr-of-token=typos.txt eror>error
  • analysis

Do we have good tools for localising conversion errors? Problem: I spot an error in the analysis. Which file is it in? ccat removes file source info, and we are thus in the blind. Conclusion: we don't have a good tool for this, only grep.

TODO:

  • add correction markup to the xml files (string-to-correction markup) ( Saara)
  • report conversion errors to Saara ( Trond, Steinar)

6. Infrastructure

Xerox tools wrapped as servers

TODO:

  • find a way of integrating vislcg as a server, or send a feature request to the vislcg developers (Saara)
    • move this to Bugzilla
      • done

7. Linguistics

Names and multilinguality

TODO:

  1. finish first version of the editing (Sjur)
  2. test editing of the xml files. If ok, then: ( Sjur, Thomas, Trond)
  3. make terms-smX.xml <=== automatically from propernoun-sme-lex.xml (add nob as well) (the morphological section should be kept intact, in e.g. propernoun-sme-morph.txt) (Sjur, Saara)
  4. convert propernoun-($lang)-lex.txt to a derived file from common xml files ( Sjur, Tomi, Saara)
  5. start to use the xml file as source file
  6. clean terms-sme.xml such that all names have the correct tag for their use (e.g. @type=secondary) (Thomas, Maaren, linguists)
  7. merge placenames which are errouneously in different entries: e.g. Helsinki, Helsingfors, Helsset (linguists)
  8. publish the name lexicon on risten.no (Sjur)
  9. add missing parallel names for placenames (linguists)
  10. add informative links between first names like Niillas and Nils ( linguists)

North Sámi

TODO:

  • go through the class of GAHPIR words, and try to generalise the compounding behaviour (Thomas)
    • done
  • change whatever is needed based on the above generalisation ( Thomas, Trond)
    • done

Lule Sámi

TODO:

  • refine smj proper noun lexica, cf. the propernoun-smj-lex.txt ( Thomas, Trond)
    • progressing - good!
  • update proper noun lexicon with copy of sme lexicon (Trond)
    • done

8. Name lexicon infrastructure

Decided in Tromsø:

  • add logging facilities to the interface
  • add option to download local copies of the lexicon files directly from the db
  • batch editing (change all entries in the found set), should later be enhanced to allow selection of exceptions (the found set minus deselected items)
  • tag for excluding/including a name from certain applications
  • future epxansion: choose what info to display in the single language browser
  • display existing language entries when adding a new language to a record
  • add editor to change single, existing entries

Details can be found in the meeting memo.

TODO:

  • develop the needed XQueries and UI (Sjur, Tomi)
  • try to make a first version of xml2lexc in Perl for testing and preparation for the big jump (Saara)

Postponed:

  • data synchronisation between risten.no and the cvs repo
  • new version of xml2lexc (based on ccat), should handle complex names correct: construct entries like we have now from the different parts of a complex name entry

9. Spellers

Polderland data generation

TODO:

  • decide how to specify compounding behaviour info for the lexicon ( Thomas, Trond, Sjur)
    • partially done - compound stem specification still open
  • add closed POS and clitics to PLX generation (Tomi)
  • add derivations to the PLX generation (Tomi)
  • add compound stems to the PLX generation (Tomi)

Aspell

TODO when the major part of the PLX conversion is done:

  • add Aspell/Hunspell data generation to the lexc2xspell (Tomi - after the PLX data generation is finished)
  • study Hunspell, perhaps also Soikko (Børre, Sjur, Tomi)

Testing

TODO:

  • get an Intel Mac for testing Windows spellers (Børre, Sjur)

Localisation

The Windows installer should be localised. We have received the string file from Polderland, now they should be translated.

The Mac installer they use is the standard MacOS X installer, and as sme isn't generally turned on as a UI language in MacOS X, there is no big point in translating it. It could be done, though: -)

TODO:

  • send translation text to Børre and Thomas ( Sjur)
  • translate Windows installer to sme and smj ( Børre, Thomas)

10. Other

Corpus contracts

TODO:

  • publish corpus contracts and project infra on NoDaLi-sta (Sjur)
    • still not done

Bug fixing

55 open Divvun/Disamb bugs, and 23 risten.no bugs

Guess: 1/3 of the bugs are fixed already (?)

11. Next meeting, closing

The next meeting is 8.1.2007, 09: 00 Norwegian time.

The meeting was closed at 12: 12.

Appendix - task lists for the next week

Boerre

iCal

  • contact authors who have already received the corpus licensing contract
  • continue work on script for automatic testing of the spell checker in Word
  • recreate our forrest tarball
  • update setup and installation instructions for new users/computers
  • create new forrest tarball
  • cvs up of the public server should be done for xtdoc/sd/documentation/
  • fix sme texts in corpus this month
  • find missing nob parallel texts in corpus
  • aligner status quo
  • translate Windows installer to sme and smj
  • fix bugs!

Maaren

iCal

  • investigate the generated word form list sent to Polderland - use the command make wordlist TARGET=sme in victorio

Saara

iCal

  • help Trond with some shell commands
  • fix sme texts in corpus this month
  • aligner status quo
  • send aligned, xml nob texts to Lars
  • add correction markup to the xml files (string-to-correction markup)
  • first new version of xml2lexc in Perl
  • fix bugs!

Sjur

iCal

  • name lexicon:
    • refactor SD-terms editor code
    • implement missing propnouns editing functions
    • implement improvements decided upon in Tromsø
  • hire linguist and programmer
  • decide how to specify compounding behaviour info in the lexicon
  • get an Intel Mac for testing Windows spellers
  • publish corpus contracts and project infra on NoDaLi-sta
  • fix forrest installations for Maaren, Disamb
  • send Windows installer translation text to Børre and Thomas
  • fix bugs!

Steinar

iCal

  • conversion error screening
  • missing lists
  • report conversion errors to Saara
  • fix bugs!

Thomas

iCal

  • refine smj proper noun lexica, cf. the propernoun-smj-lex.txt
  • decide how to specify compounding behaviour info in the lexicon
  • translate Windows installer to sme and smj
  • fix bugs!

Tomi

iCal

  • add closed POS and clitics to PLX generation
  • add derivations to the PLX generation
  • add compound stems to the PLX generation
  • fix bugs!

Trond

iCal

  • update the smj proper noun lexicon, and refine the morphological analysis, cf. the propernoun-smj-lex.txt
  • get more sma texts
  • aligner status quo
  • decide how to specify compounding behaviour info in the lexicon
  • Set up work on missing and converision screening with Steinar.
  • fix sme texts in corpus this month
  • find missing nob parallel texts in corpus
  • report conversion errors to Saara
  • fix bugs!.