UIT The arctic university of Norway > Giellatekno
 

Meeting_2006-09-18

Meeting setup

  • Date: 18.09.2006
  • Time: 09.30 Norw. time
  • Place: Where we are
  • Tools: SubEthaEdit, iChat

Agenda

  1. Opening, agenda review
  2. Reviewing the task list from two weeks ago
  3. Documentation - divvun.no
  4. Corpus gathering
  5. Corpus infrastructure
  6. Infrastructure
  7. Linguistics
  8. name lexicon infrastructure
  9. Spellers
  10. Other issues
  11. Summary, task lists
  12. Closing

1. Opening, agenda review, participants

Opened at 09: 58.

Present: Børre, Saara, Sjur, Thomas, Tomi, Trond

Absent: Maaren

Agenda accepted as is.

2. Updated task status since last meeting

Børre

  • corpus collection:
    • send out contracts with accompanying letter
      • Contracts to Rauni Lukkari and Saimi Kaarina Lukkari
    • Gather public texts, preferrably also parallel ones
      • Not done
    • Send out letters to the rest of the Iđut authors
      • Not done
    • contact Ája (Kåfjord), talk to Lene
      • Not contacted Ája. No texts from Lene so far.
    • send contracts to Čálliid Lágádus
      • Not done
    • contact Richard Valkepää at NSI about older Min Áigi and Áššu files
      • Not done
    • discuss with Bård Eriksen about collecting smj texts (with Sjur)
      • Haven't heard from him last week.
  • corpus conversion:
    • convert nob and nno bible texts to be used as part of a parallel corpus
    • convert fin, swe to paratext or directly to our XML
      • Not done
    • review the paratext2xml converter
      • Not done
    • Move norwegian documents in Min Áigi from sme to nob
      • Most of 2003 is done
  • corpus access:
    • possibly deploy the user account form as an HTML form
    • Write both user and admin documentation (Børre, review: Sjur, Thomas)
      • User documentation probably in several languages. This covers how to apply for an account, on what grounds one can apply, and pointers to documentation telling how to use the corpus.
      • Admin documentation, telling how we set the permissions to the corpus files, and whatever other processes and tasks needed to set up a corpus account.
      • Nothing this week
  • set up Bugzilla automatic reminders for open issues
  • create document & document entry for semantic double-tagging of names (for Trond)
  • finish Forrest i18n and Sámi in PDF work
    • Still working.
  • Get more sma, smj texts to improve language recognition
    • Will talk to Stig Gælok later today, he said he has lots of text
  • set up Tomcat for use with eXist and the propnouns db on the G5
    • Not done
  • fix bugs!

Maaren

  • On sick leave
  • download and install latest Marratech

Saara

  • Create a parallel corpora of the new testaments
  • add more texts to the graphical corpus interface
  • Implement parallel corpus upload in web upload script
  • remove headers and footers from pdf documents
    • in progress
  • Implement server of the analysis tools.
    • A prototype is ready.
  • add an option for including derivational tags to lookup2cg output
    • not done, I forgot it completely. I'll do it straight away.. There seems to be no dropping of derivational tags in lookup2cg.
  • examine text_cat for character limit 20 char
    • not done
  • generate parallel corpus files manually (with Trond)
    • some planning done.
  • fix bugs!

Sjur

  • fst gymnastics to add hyphenation and word boundary marks to hyphenation transducer
    • done, but needs more work - it overgenerates
  • name lexicon:
    • implement editing functions
    • finalise refactoring for multiple collections
    • implement improvements decided upon in Tromsø
      • some work done
  • review user and admin documentation for corpus access
    • nothing
  • write user account form, probably ask for copy of existing ones from the IT centre (with Trond)
    • nothing
  • start hiring process of linguist and programmer
    • continued, got a list of possible
  • help Børre finish i18n work of Forrest with a language override menu
    • progressing, but not finished
  • consider the problems of lexicalised derivations schewing analyses of derivation patterns
    • nothing
  • install eXist and our local copy of risten.no and propnouns on the G5
    • nothing
  • speller follow-up from the Tromsø meeting
    • nothing
  • discuss with Bård Eriksen about collecting smj texts (with Børre)
    • nothing
  • get instructions on how to use Marratech, and test it
    • nothing received
  • fix bugs!

Thomas

  • sme G3 issue
    • somekind of solved it, not in the way that was intended though!
  • bug-fixing!
    • worked
  • refine smj proper noun lexica, cf. the propernoun-smj-lex.txt
    • no
  • review user documentation for corpus access
    • no
  • find and study all derived verbs in our corpus (depends on Trond)
    • no
  • suggest which derivations could be generated (depends on Trond)
    • no
  • check all XXX cases in verb-file, consider marking them sub
    • done
  • consider checking all verbs for non-verbs
    • talked with Lene, this is not necessary! They are recently checked.

Tomi

  • new proper name lexicon
    • data synchronisation of proper nouns between risten.no and CVS
    • XQuery refactoring and code development for our proper noun editor
    • new version of xml2lexc (based on ccat), should handle complex names correct: construct entries like we have now from the different parts of a complex name entry
    • implement improvements decided upon in Tromsø
  • read aligner docu, install, provide feedback
  • Set up the mechanism for the hash-mark transducer package
  • test the new xml output of the xml-tagged analyses
  • export corpus tools to /opt (with cron)
  • make speller and hyphenator make targets using M4
  • help Saara with JPedal
  • fix bugs!

Trond

  • better smj NT text
  • get fin, swe, nob and nno NT and OT in paratext format
  • fst gymnastics to add hyphenation and word boundary marks to hyphenation transducer
  • make shell script wrappers for the most common commands for user friendliness
    • The missing one is teaksta.sh
  • write user account form, probably ask for copy of existing ones from the IT centre (with Sjur)
  • write documentation for our bound users, with pointers to the ordinary documentation
  • refine smj proper noun lexica, cf. the propernoun-smj-lex.txt
  • discuss web-only user access management with Oslo
    • Discussed, they will administer it when we add closed text. Discussion of details were postponed.
  • write short user guide for the corpus web interface
    • The user interface will be instable this month, and a new version will be released next month, with new functions, and possibly with documentation. Further action is thus postponed until then.
  • Get more sma, smj texts to improve language recognition
  • study corpus for language recognition errors, as well as paragraphs with mixed content
    • Errors are spotted on a regular basis, the mixed paragraph issue still awaits a treatment, and is postponed.
  • generate parallel corpus files manually (with Saara)
    • We need a catalogue of parallel texts
  • block out the CG rule(s) that remove(s) the Der readings using M4
    • Pseudocode written, now awaiting the m4 literates.
  • fix bugs!.

3. Documentation

TODO:

  • finish i18n work by adding a list of available language versions to each document (Børre with help from Sjur)
    • Sjur has done quite a lot, but is not finished
  • make pdf set-up work on victorio (Børre)
    • working on victorio (and thus on the external site), but it does not work together with our present i18n efforts: -( To be continued...
  • Write both user and admin documentation (Børre, review: Sjur, Thomas)
    • User documentation probably in several languages. This covers how to apply for an account, on what grounds one can apply, and pointers to documentation telling how to use the corpus.
    • Admin documentation, telling how we set the permissions to the corpus files, and whatever other processes and tasks needed to set up a corpus account.

4. Corpus gathering

Børre will focus on the gathering this week, we need more material...

TODO:

  • contact NSI (Børre)
  • contact authors (Børre, eventually Lene)
  • evalutate an agreement with Bård Eriksen helping us collecting smj texts (Børre and Sjur)

5. Corpus infrastructure

General

Our way of dealing with the conversion of input documents has now reached an advanced level. At some point we might consider publish our results, to the benefit of the rest of the research community.

TODO:

  • remove headers and footers in the PDF conversion (Saara)
    • done something, see JPedal below
  • fix Min Áigi filenames (Saara)
    • done
  • Go through the java issues of JPedal (Saara, Tomi)
    • soon ready?

User accounts and access

For details, see a previous meeting memo, as well as the memo from a dedicated meeting.

Shell access

TODO:

  • export to /opt (with cron) tools that the project team members find in their cvs tree (the bound users do not have a cvs tree, and therefore need these tools in /opt in order to conduct linguistic analyses) (Tomi)
    • Decision:
      • compiled transducers to /opt also in the future
      • scripts etc to /usr/local/share/bin/
  • make shell script wrappers for the most common commands for user friendliness (we must think of what commands they are) (Trond)
    • (first version of first script, teaksta.sh, was checked in, but it is still not working (the problem is a simple handling of input-output, some shell script literates should have a look at it)
  • write user account form, probably ask for copy of existing ones from the IT centre (Trond and Sjur)
  • possibly deploy the user account form as an HTML form (Børre)
  • write documentation for our bound users, with pointers to the ordinary documentation (Børre, Trond)
  • write documentation for how to apply for a user account (where's the form, to whom do I send the form, who needs it, etc.) (Børre)
  • make our own guidelines for the user application processing (Børre)
  • make a test user (Børre)
  • test corpus access as test user (Trond)

Web browser access

TODO:

  • discuss with Oslo (Trond)
  • delay other tasks until we are ready to go public?
  • user management for access to bound texts
  • short user guide needed before going public (either write one or take whatever has been made in Oslo (Trond)

More texts to the graphical corpus interface:

TODO:

  • add text to the server (Lars)

Aligner

TODO:

  • use the present aligner to generate some initial input for Oslo to test ( Trond and Saara)

Language recognition

TODO:

  • Get more text of the poorly covered languages: sma, smj ( Trond, Børre)
    • sma: get the Bible texts (Trond)
  • study the paragraphs of 20 or less characters, where the errors will be ( Trond)
  • study the mistakes our recogniser makes today (Trond)
  • what about paragraphs with mixed content? Build a corpus of such paragraphs ( Trond)

6. Infrastructure

Xerox tools wrapped as servers

Saara has made a prototype, available as server_anl.pl (the server) and client_anl.pl (for a client session). It still needs more development, but can be tested.

The server communicates purely over TCP/IP, which means that in principle any client can talk to it.

Very brief user instructions:

In one window: server_anl.pl. In another window: client_anl.pl -p. Type "quit" to exit the client and server.

TODO:

  • improve and finish the present prototype (Saara)
  • feature request: option for XML output from server

Hyphenator

First hyphenating transducer was made last week, but it produces wrong output because of overgeneration on the generator side.

gahpira => gah-pi-ra and ga-hpir, should be only the first one.

                         ´  hyphentated output
                         |    |
                         |  hyphenation rules
                        /     |
filter.fst & hyph.fst <-    generator <-------- overgeneration:
                        \     | ----------baseform/analysis
                         |  analyser
                         |    |
                         `  input

We need a "filter" fst: a-z... -:0 -:- ^:0 #:0

Sketch:

[%-, ^, %# ] (<-) 0 ;

and the rest by default: a = a: a.

TODO:

  • correct the treatment of hyphenation of word boundaries and exceptions (fst gymnastics) (Sjur, Trond)
    • done (by Tomi and Sjur), needs improvement because of overgeneration problem
  • implement the 'filter.fst' above (Sjur, Tomi, Trond)
  • Update the sma hyphenator rule set with the insights gained from smj updates ( Trond during weekends)

Automatic Bugzilla reminder for untouched bugs

TODO:

  • give mail reminders a second try; ask Thor-Øivind for help if needed ( Børre)

M4

TODO:

  • make speller and hyphenator make targets that utilise M4 to produce normative and hyphenation transducers; also disamb variants (see next) (Tomi)
    • done for hyphenation (Sjur and Tomi)

7. Linguistics

Derivation and spellers like Aspell

  • add an option to lookup2cg to keep +Der/ tags (Saara)
    • doesn't seem to remove any tags at all (or very few if at all)
  • revert the CG rule that preferres lexicalised forms over derivations with M4 ( Trond to write M4 pseudocode, M4-literates to translate). In the beginning of sme-dis.rle there is an explanation of the pseudocode. Just search for the rules as explained there.
  • find and study all derived verbs in our corpus (Thomas)
  • suggest which derivations could be generated (Thomas)
  • lexicalise the rest (Thomas)

Semantic double-tagging of names

TODO:

  • move the existing guidelines to a separate document (Børre)
    • done (by Sjur)
  • make sure all linguists are aware of the guidelines (Trond, Sjur)
  • write disamb rules to implement the system above (Trond, Linda)

North Sámi

TODO:

  • check all XXX cases (Thomas, Lene)
    • done
  • consider checking all verbs for non-verbs (Thomas, Lene)
    • Thomas talked with Lene, this is not necessary, Lenes "non-words" were all marked !SUB. Thomas has recently checked all verbs.

Lule Sámi

TODO:

  • refine smj proper noun lexica, cf. the propernoun-smj-lex.txt ( Thomas, Trond)

8. Name lexicon infrastructure

Decided in Tromsø:

  • add logging facilities to the interface
  • add option to download local copies of the lexicon files directly from the db
  • batch editing (change all entries in the found set), should later be enhanced to allow selection of exceptions (the found set minus deselected items)
  • tag for excluding/including a name from certain applications
  • future epxansion: choose what info to display in the single language browser
  • display existing language entries when adding a new language to a record
  • add editor to change single, existing entries

Details can be found in the meeting memo.

TODO:

  • finish refactoring for multiple collections in the search interfarce ( Sjur)
  • develop the needed XQueries and UI (Sjur, Tomi)
  • data synchronisation between risten.no and the cvs repo (Tomi)
    • discussion started on eXist-list, nothing useful came up. We need to reformulate the question from our perspective, and bring it up again ( Sjur)
  • add eXist and the proper noun interface to the G5 using Tomcat ( Sjur and Børre)

9. Tromsø meeting follow-up

TODO:

  • speller development - see the meeting memo. Separate follow-up next week.
  • Lule Sámi linguist (Sjur)

10. Other

Bug fixing

64 open Divvun/Disamb bugs (two down!), and 25 risten.no bugs

Guess: 1/3 of the bugs are fixed already (?)

Meetings and Marratech

TODO:

  • download and install newest Marratech ( Maaren)
  • we need instructions on how to use it, and test it (Sjur)

Task lists as iCal entries

TODO:

  • update Maaren's and Saara's installations to r430284 (Børre)

11. Next meeting, closing

Next meeting 25.9.2006 at 9: 30.

Closed at 11: 03.

Appendix - task lists for the next week

Børre

iCal

  • corpus collection:
    • send out contracts with accompanying letter
    • Gather public texts, preferrably also parallel ones
    • Send out letters to the rest of the Iđut authors
    • contact Ája (Kåfjord), talk to Lene
    • send contracts to Čálliid Lágádus
    • contact Richard Valkepää at NSI about older Min Áigi and Áššu files
    • discuss with Bård Eriksen about collecting smj texts (with Sjur)
  • corpus conversion:
    • convert nob and nno bible texts to be used as part of a parallel corpus
    • convert fin, swe to paratext or directly to our XML
    • review the paratext2xml converter
    • Move norwegian documents in Min Áigi from sme to nob
  • corpus access:
    • possibly deploy the user account form as an HTML form
    • Write both user and admin documentation (Børre, review: Sjur, Thomas)
      • User documentation probably in several languages. This covers how to apply for an account, on what grounds one can apply, and pointers to documentation telling how to use the corpus.
      • Admin documentation, telling how we set the permissions to the corpus files, and whatever other processes and tasks needed to set up a corpus account.
  • set up Bugzilla automatic reminders for open issues
  • create document & document entry for semantic double-tagging of names (for Trond)
  • finish Forrest i18n and Sámi in PDF work
  • Get more sma, smj texts to improve language recognition
  • set up Tomcat for use with eXist and the propnouns db on the G5
  • fix bugs!

Maaren

  • On sick leave
  • download and install latest Marratech

Saara

iCal

  • Create a parallel corpora of the new testaments
  • add more texts to the graphical corpus interface
  • Implement parallel corpus upload in web upload script
  • remove headers and footers from pdf documents
  • Implement server of the analysis tools.
  • examine text_cat for character limit 20 char
  • generate parallel corpus files manually (with Trond)
  • fix bugs!

Sjur

iCal

  • fst gymnastics to add hyphenation and word boundary marks to hyphenation transducer
  • name lexicon:
    • implement editing functions
    • finalise refactoring for multiple collections
    • implement improvements decided upon in Tromsø
  • review user and admin documentation for corpus access
  • write user account form, probably ask for copy of existing ones from the IT centre (with Trond)
  • start hiring process of linguist and programmer
  • help Børre finish i18n work of Forrest with a language override menu
  • consider the problems of lexicalised derivations schewing analyses of derivation patterns
  • install eXist and our local copy of risten.no and propnouns on the G5
  • speller follo-up from the Tromsø meeting
  • discuss with Bård Eriksen about collecting smj texts (with Børre)
  • get instructions on how to use Marratech, and test it
  • fix bugs!

Thomas

iCal

  • sme G3 issue
  • bug-fixing!
  • refine smj proper noun lexica, cf. the propernoun-smj-lex.txt
  • review user documentation for corpus access
  • find and study all derived verbs in our corpus (depends on Trond)
  • suggest which derivations could be generated (depends on Trond)

Tomi

iCal

  • new proper name lexicon
    • data synchronisation of proper nouns between risten.no and CVS
    • XQuery refactoring and code development for our proper noun editor
    • new version of xml2lexc (based on ccat), should handle complex names correct: construct entries like we have now from the different parts of a complex name entry
    • implement improvements decided upon in Tromsø
  • read aligner docu, install, provide feedback
  • Set up the mechanism for the hash-mark transducer package
  • test the new xml output of the xml-tagged analyses
  • export corpus tools to /opt (with cron)
  • make speller and hyphenator make targets using M4
  • help Saara with JPedal
  • fix bugs!

Trond

iCal

  • better smj NT text
  • get fin, swe, nob and nno NT and OT in paratext format
  • fst gymnastics to add hyphenation and word boundary marks to hyphenation transducer
  • make shell script wrappers for the most common commands for user friendlyness
  • write user account form, probably ask for copy of existing ones from the IT centre (with Sjur)
  • write documentation for our bound users, with pointers to the ordinary documentation
  • refine smj proper noun lexica, cf. the propernoun-smj-lex.txt
  • Get more sma, smj texts to improve language recognition
  • study corpus for language recognition errors, as well as paragraphs with mixed content
  • generate parallel corpus files manually (with Saara)
  • block out the CG rule(s) that remove(s) the Der readings using M4
  • fix bugs!.